1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Cobra Kai (true Karate Kid sequel!)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

Fun fact: This was supposed to be the Karate Kid montage song before "You're the best" became available; which was replaced by "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor. Who wrote this song... It ended up being used in the end credits of Karate Kid, and now here. As a montage song... By Survivor... Loving this season of Cobra Kai. I love the irony.

2. Roscoe Arbuckle

Bunch of p*****s.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been stuck in hotel room most of this weekend so binged on Cobra Kai season 4. Pretty good and doesn't disappoint. I liked bringing in Terry Silver and his angle as a more cerebral and manipulative bad buy. I think they good job of tying in the idea of "everyone has a weakness" and using it throughout all the plot lines.

The show started out as pretty much the Johnny Lawrence redemption show and as they explore other characters it's become less about Johnny. They've still been able to maintain the story arc of Johnny not just being a sensei but a father and his redemption in both regards for me is the most moving part of the show.

Speaking from a personal view as someone who has been a Sensei to students around the same age as the characters in Cobra Kai, the relationship of student to sensei is one that can be very powerful and meaningful. As someone who has had difficult relationships and falling out with promising students while also having many fulfilling relationships with students who have benefited a lot from my teachings a lot of what happens in Cobra Kai not only rings true but is cathartic.

One part of understanding what is the weakness or wrong with your own training you might not understand until you try teaching it someone else can be very true. One of the things we emphasize in martial arts is to always be learning. Even if you are a Sensei with decades of experience you can still learn and also learn from what your students do with your teaching.

Xerobull, FrontRunner and Yung-T like this.
  4. VanityHalfBlack

Your boy is back!! Anyone still watching or called it quits?

K mf G likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When does it start?

Rocket River

6. VanityHalfBlack

September 9th

K mf G and mikol13 like this.
  7. VanityHalfBlack

Ya'll like that karate?

8. VanityHalfBlack

I don't think you guys are ready for season 5. From what I read, be prepared and stay away from spoilers until the 9th. Sh!ts about to go down in the valley y'all.

9. VanityHalfBlack

Two more days!!!

tinman likes this.
  10. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Johnny Lawrence rules. Daniel is pretty lame. The show wouldn't have last more than 2 seasons if it was just about Daniel-san.

ROCKSS and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  11. conquistador#11

Mr. Miyagi this, Mr Miyagi that. Like oh my god, every other word from Danny's mouth is Mr. Miyagi. Shut up already! Even his lovely wife is tired of that ish.
    Johnny Lawrence genuinely wanted to teach nerds who get bullied how to kick azz but nooooo all these leechers including Danny couldn't handle that. Now you have a bunch of teens running around California more dangerous than the crips and bloods treating splashtown like it's Streets Of Rage.

[​IMG]

"Can you play some Billy Ellish?"

Johnny: "Sure." (proceeds to play Billy Idol.)
    Still laughing at that sequence.

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Just finished the season. Not sure I enjoyed it as much as others but it got real. Still fun.

Yung-T and Rocket River like this.
  13. VanityHalfBlack

Took you guys long enough. I binged it right when it came out. Easily the best season for me. Less teen drama and more focused on the legacy characters and way more action than the previous seasons. Bring on season 6!

ATXNekko, ROCKSS, Squirtle and 3 others like this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I enjoyed it

Rocket River

whag00, clos4life, ROCKSS and 2 others like this.
  15. Roscoe Arbuckle

I need to work out.

++

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a real show
    Not some boring and unfunny shows that certain people here pretend they like

clos4life and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  17. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Great season and fairly satisfied with the finale. Looking forward to season 6.

18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Gonna binge this over the weekend in between games

Squirtle likes this.
  19. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Johnny does rule, without him I would not like it as much..........he plays the dumb jock to a T

20. Poloshirtbandit

Finished last night, maybe my favorite season so far. Was not prepared for the Jello at the end

Squirtle, clos4life and ROCKSS like this.