1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hulu Movie] Prey - Predator prequel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, May 16, 2022.

1. conquistador#11

It's already my favorite Predator 'sequel'. I've watched twice by myself and with the fam.
    Predators was ok in comparison to the trash they had been putting out. I remember the thread for Predators was hyped and then we saw the movie.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

I enjoyed this

8/10…would watch again and recommend to a friend

it started out a little slow, but once the Predator really started getting down to business…sheesh

he was fcking dudes up…it was a thrill ride

I will never not love a dog sidekick…shoutout Sarii

dobro1229 and B-Bob like this.
  3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Interesting tidbit from the female lead Amber Midthunder:

4. droxford

droxford Member

I can tell you that the movie’s description of how to load and shoot the black-powder pistol was accurate.

I just shot a black powder rifle last month and that’s almost exactly how we did it.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Are we really still trying to complain about “feminism” after actually watching the movie?? It seems like you just wanted to complain about it to prove something. The whole point was she wasn’t the best fighter or Hunter at all. She only survives because she’s on the wrong side of every moment (doesn’t see her as a threat) until she happens to figure a few things out that allows her to get the jump on the Predator.

Her growth, the people who help or hurt her along the way, and how she changes is the the point. It was a fascinating take on “the heroes journey” and measures up well with other stories such as Luke Skywalker (who would have gotten destroy by Vader in New Hope and got bested in Empire). There’s nothing feminist about it at all. It’s every bit as powerful as a whiny farm boy ultimately becoming a Jedi.

I think of all the things to whine about with woke feminism, this movie is a weird one to gripe about.

Rocket River, jiggyfly and GRENDEL like this.
  6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Wife and I watched it yesterday afternoon and we were both pretty impressed. I'll join in with those saying it's the best Predator sequel, edging out Predator 2 by just a tad for me. It's a lean straightforward back to basic approach that really works well. Amber Midthunder is pretty great in the lead role and I really like how they scripted her story arch.

We watched the Comanche dub which was kind of cool but the French trappers dialogue was subtitled but in French so we might have missed some of what they were saying. That being said I do plan on watching the English version soon.....

B+

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. marky :)

marky :) Member

Watched it last night and agree with others. Probably the best 'sequal' we've gotten tied with Predator 2. It was a good nod to the original predator with a lot of references. French trappers getting destroyed was hilarious especially trying to reload with muskets.

In the animated ending credits looks like they plan on making a sequal. Right at the end of the animated credits, 3 ships appear in the sky in the drawings.

GRENDEL likes this.
  8. droxford

droxford Member

No. That wasn't the point.

In the movie, as she's sharpening her tomahawk. her grandmother (?) tells her that her dad gave it to her to cut roots with, not to hunt. She asks her why she wants to hunt, and she replies, "Because you all think that I can't". There's a lot of "you can't hunt because you're a girl" in the first part of the movie.

If a movie is gonna go out of its way to make a feminism statement, I'm probably not gonna like it and I will say so in my review.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

the French villains were a little over the top…I wish I knew what they were actually saying

10. droxford

droxford Member

Don't get me wrong - the movie isn't crap. If the CGI had been better, it would have been much better. Here's my order of best Predator movies:

1. Predator
    2. Predators
    3. Prey
    4. Predator 2
    5. The Predator

11. conquistador#11

How did the gun end up in Lethal Weapon 2 1/2? Any theories?
    How did she manage to control the 3 point laser?
    My only complaint:
    Uto should have been used through the entire film like the Frenchies speaking only French. We can handle subtitles! Except in Korean. It's all so fast.

I thought the adorable dog wasn't real at first. Homie would leave and just randomly appear.

12. marky :)

marky :) Member

She noticed the arrows only landed wherever the 3 point laser was and it was from the helmet. After she got the helmet she had it set up to aim right at the mud/tar pit thingy so she could lure him there and when the predator got stuck and saw an open shot. It ended up shooting himself.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

With all due respect that's just so snowflakey and overly sensitive. I mean there's countless other stories where the roles are reversed (You need to stay here and help on the farm (Star Wars). You are just a kid, and need to stay home (Goonies, ET, any Stephen King story, etc. etc.). It's a simple, done a million times, underdog story where the protagonist has no chance in a normal fight against the antagonist, but with some wits, and sheer luck finds a way out.

The fact that just because it's a girl in this case and that makes it "Feminist" to you is pretty masogonystic. Especially since the movie goes to great lengths to show that she's not on par with the boys in their fighting ability early in the film, and the Predator sees no need to kill her.

Yes there are some movies where its a bit on the nose (see Avengers Endgame "she's not alone" moment), but this movie sure as hell doesn't deserve such overly sensitive faux macho responses unless you just watched the trailer, and made assumptions. I get it with some movies and TV shows right now but Holy Crap, it's time to turn the dial back a little bit with such an overly sensitive outlook on everything. It's doing the exact same thing that people who complain about "woke" culture are accusing people of doing that they are doing. Chill out and enjoy good stuff, or just go watch your old Steven Segal VHS tapes.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Predator
    1b. Predator 2
    2. Predators
    3. Prey

Everything else sucked

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

at this point, if the story isn’t centered around a straight white male, it’s “woke” or has some social agenda…the crying will never stop

people just finding ways to complain these days

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

They have this scene cued up:
    [​IMG]

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How is any of that a feminist statement?

Why does that particular interplay bother you so much?

Do you hate Annie Oakley as well?

19. droxford

droxford Member

You guys are a lot more bent-out-of-shape about it than I am. It's not a big deal - the movie didn't dwell on it.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is pretty much my assessment

I liked the Movie.

7~8/10

Rocket River

tinman likes this.