1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Rockets will be under 0.500 in 2022-23 season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ankara1923, Aug 6, 2022.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, the Rockets saw some qualities in a *young SG from OKC and gave
    him on the job training as a Point Guard slash combo guard......Harden.

Now they are training Porter to do the same. Christopher is also being trained
    up. And people shouldn't be fooled by experts that rated TyTy as the 2nd
    best Point Guard (behind Ivey) coming out of college. TyTy is more SG
    than PG......but I look forward to seeing him in PnR. See if he's as good
    as advertised.

Harden started with us in 12/13 and had:
    Beverley, Delfino, Francisco Garcia, Terrence Jones, Lin, D-Mo, Parsons, Pat Patterson

Bev, TJ and D-Mo were rooks....so similar situation as KPj....but Harden had some
    experience running point for OKC as backup; older than KPj.

Harden:
    12/13: 5.8 Ast.....4.9 rebs...3.8 TOV's
    13/14: 6.1 Ast.....4.7 rebs...3.6 TOV's

So Josh Christopher be in continued training....as would Scoot Henderson

I posted (early last season) that KPj/Green together wasn't working like Harden/Lin wasn't
    working.....Rockets needed to separate them.... preferably concentrate on Porter learning
    PG skills first. Then I said sit Porter and let Green learn PG.

Rockets kinda did my advice by sticking Green in the corner. Porter did improve so
    I said the Rockets should probably shut down Porter. Instead they gave Porter a
    lesser role so that Green could get his groove on.

Here are how the stats look:
    Porter
    Year.....pts.....rebs......Ast.....TOV's......3P%.....FT%......FG%

21/22:..15.6.....4.4.........6.2........3.1.........37.5.....64.2......41.5

Last 38
    Games
    :.17.3....4.4.........6.4........2.7.........39.5.....66.7.......44.3

Last 21
    Games:.

basketball-reference.com projects KPjr (22/23):
    ...............18.2.....5.1.........6.8.......3.4..........37.4....68.2......43.2
    [ My Projections ]
    ..............20........5.5........7.8......2.4.........37.6....71.8......45.5

So then we talk about traded at trade deadline:
    If Porter is getting near projections (by some and me) and the
    Rockets don't want to pay $20M to $30M because of past
    incidents (none this upcoming season)......then fans may
    be pissed that they trade Porter when they have a reported
    $71M to spend (yes $9M cap hold set for Porter)

If half the Rockets brass don't trust Porter now.....I doubt they will
    at the trade deadline. But that would be great if they do and match
    any offers.

I don't like the idea of training up another SG.....but I feel true PG's
    are irrelevant nowadays. The 1 better be able to rebound and defend.

#41 ApacheWarrior, Aug 7, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    Ankara1923 likes this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

you pose interesting questions for discussion but I think you can’t just formulate your assessment based on comparative stats between Curry and Porter. Curry makes better decisions with the ball in terms of decisiveness on the dribble drive or creating seams for team mates which is superior to Porter. He also doesn’t hold the ball 6+ seconds as much as Porter. Besides Green runs the point in many sets and on the break.

Todays guards have morphed from traditional roles its true but the pg skillset still needs to be there to run point. And to your point that teams are playing more combo guards I don’t know if that’s the case especially when you look at the playoff teams. Morant, Lowry, Luka, Trey, CP3, Jrue, Lonzo are all traditional pg’s or have that skillset. With the exception of Raptors, Celtics and I think Wolves who played Russell at point most of the playoff teams had a player who was very skilled at handling, distributing and playmaking including Draymond as I already mentioned. Kerr didn’t have to handle the ball as Pippen played point or MJ took it himself at times. It’s whoever has the skillset on the team.

Boston has issues in my opinion without a true point as their offense is very stagnant with two SG/SF guys and combo guard in Smart.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Harden 3rd season: 21.1 PER, 66% TS, 9.3 WS (0.23/48 if you prefer that), +4.3 BPM, while shooting 49/39/85 splits
    KPJ 3rd season: 13.5 PER, 53% TS, 0.8 WS (0.021/48), -1.6 BPM, while shooting shooting 42/38/64 splits

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Why would I prefer Harden stats at age 22 who played next to Durant, Westbrook, Dereck Fisher, Ibaka, Kendrick
    Perkins....that team finished 1st in their division?

You want me to compare Porter to that? Age 21 (21/22 season)....as some podcasts
    have noted, Kevin Porter jr is about 3 months older than rookie Keegan Murray.

I'm not saying Porter will be Harden.....just that there can be seen
    progression in players just learning how to play PG in the NBA.
    Porter first year at PG was this past season.

5. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

i cant either. Where’s the catch

6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No doubt, but Curry isn't playing PG for the first time either.

Yes, I've said in the past that Curry, Morant, Trae Young are the exceptions because
    they are exceptional scorers that offset their defensive liabilities. Shooting range from
    mid court.... Luka does as well.

Luka demands 4 players key on him.......and how many rebounds does he secure? Like 9?

So yeah, unless you got a Durant, Giannis, Dray, Scottie Barnes in your pocket....
    Rockets may have to go combo guard for the near future.

#46 ApacheWarrior, Aug 7, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    Stephen_A likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this thread's readers be all like

sirjesse and alethios like this.
  8. alethios

alethios Member

So, you're saying @Ankara1923 is the Bania of CF?

That's gold, Os, gold!

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets will be within 5 games of .500 by all star break.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

To be fair, I'd expect us to be above .500 if KPJ, Green, and Sengun average 70 ppg collectively.

Ubiquitin and Ankara1923 like this.
  11. mightybosstone

Yeah, if that happens then at least two of those guys are way ahead of schedule from a development standpoint if not all three. But the likelihood of that happening is crazy low. I appreciate OP's optimism, but he's definitely jumping the gun a bit with his predictions.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those four will likely combine for something closer to 65 then 80. Young talent takes a few years to evolve. Jabari isn't going to put up big offensive numbers his rookie year partly because he's not the center of the offense like many other rookies, and partly because at 19 he's not going to be that good. He's 3-4 years away from seeing his offensive game blossom. And that's likely true for a lot of young guys.

Green and KPJ are the current two guys who can give you close to 20 a night, and even that would be a lot to see from them as a pair. You have to remember how many possessions get lost on turnovers and how poor offensive rebounding will also impact shot attempts.

This is a really young team. They will lose a lot more games than you think. Not because they aren't talented, but because usually you don't see this many young players on a team all at once.

Corrosion likes this.
  13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

For comparison's sake, Lebron/Wade/Bosh only averaged 70+ ppg once, their first season together.

Corrosion and mightybosstone like this.
  14. mightybosstone

Yeah, frankly the likelihood of the three of them EVER averaging 70+ in a season combined is super low. Even if Green reaches superstar status and is averaging 27-28 a night in a few years and KPJ gets to that 22-23 range (which seems pretty unlikely), they'd still need another 20 out of Sengun. In the history of the league, I wonder how many times a single team has had three separate players average at least 20+ in a season—that has to be pretty rare.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

shiiiiiiiiiite, Sengun is already way better than LeBron will ever be

16. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

OPTIMISTIC PESSIMISTIC REALISTIC
    JGreen 28 22 25
    KPJ 22 18 20
    ALPI 18 14 16
    Jabari 12 8 10

TOTAL 80 62 71

So, the realistic figure (71) is closer to 65 than my optimistic 80 ppg combined but even 71 ppg from the quartet will give a very competitive edge to the Rockets. I am very excited for this season.

Sweet Lou 4 2 and Ubiquitin like this.
  17. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Individually*

PuzzledFan likes this.
  18. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Higher ceiling than Josh Smith even.

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

over 500? We’d be contenders. Does any other team in the league have 3 guys combining to score 70 points?

20. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

There is no way that those 3/4 guys get 70-80 points lol. KPJ will average under 20, Alp ~14-17ppg. The only way this is not a bottom 3 team is if someone we have seen very little of just somehow is a super star and carries the team. As in Tari Eason is one of those fluke mid firsts and turns into Giannis or Kawhi level good. Other than that, I would expect to win 3-4 more games than last season. If EG is traded, I would expect to win around the same amount as last season. Keep in mind Wood is gone, and the last 2 seasons he was a big part of both 6 game win streaks, he was the best player in those small stretches. I am not a fan of Wood, but that fools gold contributed to some wins.

Corrosion likes this.