1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Don't. Toyota's bz4x is going under recalls for the wheels falling off. Subaru's Solterra is a rebadged bz4x with lower specs.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yeah, for a hybrid innovator, Toyota has been lagging on the EV front while their management has doubled down on ICE and actively working against gasoline standards and other environmentally friendly stuff. Subaru management has made similar mistakes and now they are both trying to catch up. I wouldn't buy either.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Subaru looks to be pushing Crosstrek as a kind of affordable (read disposable) car. And at 30 mpg. Meh. How many exurban and suburban people really take a Crosstrek for a stream fording, dirt road bumping adventure, like, ever? More like a CostCo parking lot.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I get loving AWD, but why not touch the EV? I mean, don't touch mine, but you should consider touching some other EV.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Does it have an interior? Good grief!

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

No taycan yet. Porsche plant in German y has a strike. Shipment of all vehicles halted

Sajan likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

Who is the market for these bizarro things? Do EV companies actually hire anyone that tries to figure out what customers might actually want to purchase? Would any of the execs of these companies drive these things?

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

30k to replace the batteries means these are essentially disposable cars. Get one if you like it, but this ain't the savior that people think they are.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

10. Major

Major Member

The phone or laptop he tweeted that from also probably uses a lithium battery.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. Roscoe Arbuckle

Yeah, but a car uses 2000 times more... (roughly. 4.8 grams vs 8 kilograms)

12. Major

Major Member

There are also a lot fewer electric cars than phones, laptops, tablets, etc. Lithium mining is not a new thing, nor is it particularly focused on EVs.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

prices need to be reasonable. 25k to 40k

K LoLo likes this.
  14. Roscoe Arbuckle

They're trying to make EV cars owned by everyone by 2030...

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You noticed that, too? lol. The interior pics are out there, but not much in-depth from what I recall. I wonder how comfortable those seats are for extended journeys.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No telling. It's an interesting concept, but I'll go with an established manufacturer when I get an EV, whenever that is. It won't be a Tesla.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's not like a 9-volt - they don't die every year or two. Most of manufacturers warranty them for 8-10 years; Tesla's are supposed to last at least 300,000-500,000 miles, and they don't quite cost $30k.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I'm with you, but right now Tesla would be about the only manufacturer I'd "trust", and that's not saying much. I'm hoping in the next 3-5 years, we'll make some advances all around on the battery tech.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm hopeful, but it sure is taking forever for mainstream companies to even start cranking out plug-in hybrids. Honda's coming out with a new model CR-V hybrid after having the same tired model for something like 6 years, and while few details are out, it won't be a plug-in hybrid. The drive train hasn't even been changed a great deal. My chiropractor has a 2022 model hybrid and gets about 37mpg in town. Not too impressive, to say the least.

The 2023 CRV is larger, with changes around the margins with the engine and transmission, from what I've read. I'll be surprised if it improves on what he gets. At least the top of the line finally has a great sound system. A 12 speaker Bose designed for the SUV. I've been considering getting one (75lb dog, road trips), but I might wait until next year. Hoping for big changes then from a lot of companies.

20. Roscoe Arbuckle

So you keep exponentially depleting finite lithium resources to feel good about the environment only to find out that Gas and Coal are the major resources for power plants, which would also grow exponetially with the regime that wants everyone to go green.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/power-plants/

Face the facts: Nuclear is the only option if you are looking for a good renewable energy. These batteries are fun, and very well may go the way of technology like the computer did. But that is a long ways away.