1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson to the BROWNS! Wow!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mario_v, Mar 18, 2022.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Little too late for that Watson

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, Watson should be punished as harshly as Roethlisberger...4 games. Ben assaulted one girl...4 games. Watson assaulted 24 girls...96 games. He can come back Week 12...of the 2027 season. Of course, he'll have to negotiate a new contract as his current contract expires after 2026.

By the way, he'd forfeit every dollar of that extension as well...all 230 million of 'em.

4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I get they want to appeal but using Big Ben as the example, what was that 10 years ago? The judge said she could only go 6 games based on current precedent and its up to the NFL to take it further. Big Ben had one accuser, Watson had 20+ and if were trying to set new precedent you cant argue about a case 10+ years ago. His team was samrt for getting him the biggest guaranteed contract but they have been horrible otherwise, I bet they could go back to the NFL and say OK, lets do the 12 games and 10 million and they both would agree to that

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I get the whole legal precedent thing but that flies in the face of what the NFL was trying to do.

NFL recognizes what they did in the past was too much in some places (weed) and not enough in others (violence)

Using a 10 year old example is ridiculous. Hopefully we've evolved as a country.

ROCKSS likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

it's not a good argument, but it's the only one he has.

7. Qan

Qan Member

They can site all they want...it was different time then. Time has change and society has gotten more expose, so punishment will naturally be harsher.

To add, Roethlisberger got 4 games (originally 6) a case against 1 woman. Playing that, since Watson has 20+ women, but let's just use 4 or 5 of the women tlthe NFL looked at, Watson should expect a minimum of 16 games. What makes Watson and Co they can just clump all women into package deal? Lol

#2167 Qan, Aug 5, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is my thoughts as well. If Ben or Kobe have the cases they had in todays climate, I don’t think the results would have been the same.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Unfortunate photo cannot be unseen.

[​IMG]

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If anything, those previous incidents prove that the league was too lenient, that they still need to make an example of someone to get the message across that players can't go around sexually assaulting women. Add another season to the suspension if he makes that argument.

cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Didn't realize upwards of 20 women had grievances with Roethlisberger. Also, times are different. DWI wasn't a thing in 1970s Texas. I wouldn't get caught doing it now.

My 4 year old could operate Watson's camp with more maturity and self-awareness. I really hope he fights this thing and ends up getting his suspension rolled over into next season, shooting himself further in the dick in the process.

12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 1.27.33 AM.png

Lol, indeed.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I just want two seasons. After that, don’t care.

primtim24, Rudyc281 and BamBam like this.
  14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I don’t know about y’all but every time I got a massage from an unlicensed therapist I planned on having sex with her

15. a time to chill

For everyone saying that Roethlisberger was accused by just 1 woman and Watson was accused by 24...

Roethlisberger was accused by two women of kidnapping and rape...violent sexual assault, and was only suspended for 4 games after appeal.

Most of the accusations against Watson didn't have enough evidence which is why the league only brought 5 cases to Judge, and even then the only evidence they had were text messages and interviews from other people that had contact with the accusers shortly after the alleged incidents took place. The only thing Robinson said Watson was guilty of was trying to turn the massages into something sexual by causing his penis to come into contact with the masseuse during the massage. She didn't find him guilty of force or violence which is why she labeled it...non-violent sexual assault. He didn't block the door like Ben Roethlisberger was accused of and force the masseuse to have sex with him. The masseuses could've left the room at any time...what was Watson going to do, run after them naked?

Furthermore, the league trying to make an example out of Watson because of public outrage is not fair, nor is it a good way for the NFL to handle suspensions. The inconsistent way Goodell has handled suspensions in the past leaves the NFL vulnerable to criticism and accusations of racism. Again, Robinson correctly identified what the NFL should do. If they feel strongly about what Watson has done they should ammend their policy to give players advanced notice of what the punishment will be for this type of behavior.

Pistol Pete and Air Langhi like this.
  16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Ben argument is pointless. Things change and they have. That same punishment he received then would not be the same he would have received today.

17. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Ideally, Watson and his advisors screw this up to the point he misses part or all of this year and next. Missing time both years will have an impact on our CLE 1st rounders, but sadly they're still a good team with out him and we're probably looking at best 15-20 range.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get another pick in that range, but this situation also has the potential to create out a black cloud over CLE's next two seasons that could possibly denigrate their overall team production. I mean its hard to rally around a guy with this kind of public image.

As others have suggested, his best tactic now may be to pivot--be remorseful. If he admits a sex addiction and undergoes treatment for his problems, that would likely play better with the NFL, his teammates, media, and fan base. That and he agreeing to a 12-game suspension will probably get this settled, which is best case for the Browns and Watson.

With that said, he's been consistent with his claims of no wrong doing. Guess we'll see how this plays out. I worked for a Browns fan that was the biggest egomaniac I've met. Luckily it was for only 4 months, but that experience made me a lifelong Brown's hater.

19. raining threes

I see your pudding pops

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The details of that Big Ben case is disgusting WOW. Man I can see Watson being mind F'd out there on the field. The NFL has had to deal with a lot dealing with this case. Best to just leave this thing alone, serve the suspension and move on like Big Ben did.