1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix Series] Neil Gaiman's Sandman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

'Sandman’ Netflix Series Casts Tom Sturridge as Dream, Adds Gwendoline Christie, Charles Dance

[​IMG]

The Sandman” series at Netflix has set its main cast. Tom Sturridge is officially set to star as Dream, with the show also adding Gwendoline Christie, Vivienne Acheampong, Boyd Holbrook, Charles Dance, Asim Chaudhry, and Sanjeev Bhaskar.

The series is based on “The Sandman” comic book series created for DC by Neil Gaiman. It follows the people and places affected by Morpheus (Sturridge), the Dream King, as he mends the cosmic — and human — mistakes he’s made during his vast existence.

Sturridge was most recently seen in the 2019 film “Velvet Buzzsaw” and received Tony Award nominations for his work in “Orphans” and “Sea Wall/A Life.”

Christie, best known to fans for her roles on “Game of Thrones” and in the new “Star Wars” film trilogy, will star as Lucifer, ruler of Hell. Acheampong, who recently appeared in “The Witches” on HBO Max, will play Lucienne, chief librarian and trusted guardian of Dream’s realm.

[​IMG]

Holbrook, who previously starred in the first two seasons of “Narcos” at Netflix, will play The Corinthian, an escaped nightmare who wishes to taste all that the world has in store. Dance, another “Game of Thrones” alum, will play Roderick Burgess, described as a Charlatan, blackmailer and magician.

Chaudry will play Abel and Bhaskar will play Cain, described as the first victim and first predator respectively. They are residents and loyal subjects of the Dream Realm. Chaudry was seen in “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch” and is also known for his role in “People Just Do Nothing.” Bhaskar appeared in the Amazon adaptation of Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s book “Good Omens” and also appeared in the feature “Yesterday.”

“For the last thirty-three years, the ‘Sandman’ characters have breathed and walked around and talked in my head. I’m unbelievably happy that now, finally, they get to step out of my head and into reality,” Gaiman said. “I can’t wait until the people out there get to see what we’ve been seeing as Dream and the rest of them take flesh, and the flesh belongs to some of the finest actors out there. This is astonishing, and I’m so grateful to the actors and to all of ‘The Sandman collaborators’ — Netflix, Warner Bros., DC, to Allan Heinberg and David Goyer, and the legions of crafters and geniuses on the show — for making the wildest of all my dreams into reality.”

Gaiman is co-writing the series with David S. Goyer and Allan Heinberg. All three are also executive producers, with Heinberg serving as showrunner. Warner Bros. Television is the studio.

“The Sandman” was originally ordered to series at Netflix in 2019 with a 10-episode commitment. There have been many attempts to adapt “Sandman” as a film, with Gaiman and Goyer having penned the most recent attempt. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was also attached to the film at one point, but he left the project due to creative differences.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You watch too much TV.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. Xerobull

You due

KingCheetah likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Not much for Comic books but I've read Sandman and I don't think it will translate.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Get a brane

Xerobull likes this.
  6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

First Trailer....

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Trailer has that big budget TV special movie look. I reckon it would have looked much better if they kept the setting in 1989 instead of updating to now. Film it with that 70s/80s indie movie look with avante garde elements to reference the artwork and pop culture allusions in the comics.

Expectations are tempered knowing David "Edgelord" Goyer is involved. Casting someone middle aged to play Death is interesting. How hard is it to find a David Bowie lookalike to play Lucifer? Especially when it's a small role.

8. Buck Turgidson

moran

KingCheetah likes this.
  9. CCorn

CCorn Member

How does he have time to fly around in his helicopter?

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Looks good but it has that netflix stink on it, so not that excited.

Good to see Jenna Coleman again I had a huge crush on her back in the Dr. Who days I did not realize she has been out of the loop for a while.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. Xerobull

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Will be checking it this weekend

Rocket River
    it is out . . .right?

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes

Deckard likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It looks incredible. It's out and I'll watch it sometime this weekend.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Episode 4..... so far it is intriguing

Rocket River

16. Salvy

Salvy Member

Did not see Chris Pratt in the trailer, will have to check cast before giving it a try...

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Can’t keep attention

Ottomaton and clos4life like this.
  18. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'm bored through two episodes, I literally gave it three tries. It might take me about 25 viewings before I finish it, if I even finish it.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. conquistador#11

Thought I was the only one. Maybe I should try watching it earlier in the day.

clos4life likes this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Overall I liked it
    but I like Sandman
    I read the comic and listened to the Audiobook

Rocket River