1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Majority Leader Joe Manchin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, Jun 4, 2021.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Manchin is very much a dealmaker and he revels in the role. This has been true for his entire political career. I think he also recognizes that his time in the Senate is coming to an end so he's happy to wheel and deal as much as possible and maximize his leverage.

Sinema on the other hand is just an odd duck who wants to find a similar niche but doesn't understand the PR and politics that goes into creating that power. Manchin will happily go on Sunday talk shows, Fox News, MSNBC etc.. and he'll use his connections to local media in WV to push his message as well. He understands the PR and media game that comes with establishing credibility as the swing vote and as a negotiator. Biden puts a lot of trust in him as an honest partner for a very good reason.

Sinema on the other hand comes across as completely unpredictable and chaotic because she has none of Manchin's communication skills. She just randomly leaks things to Axios but does little else. There's no communication to explain her thought or rationale and everything becomes second hand communication that gets distorted. Manchin will own whatever he does and will put a face on his decision. Sinema will randomly make decisions with no communication with the rest of the caucus so she becomes impossible to trust or predict. And as a result, she's disliked by her caucus far more than Manchin is, even though Manchin is the more conservative of the two.

I'm totally fine with Manchin in the Senate. He represents one of the most Republican states in the country and progressives act like he should be voting identically to Bernie Sanders. He's very transparent about his motives and thought with the caucus and the media at large. I have zero issue with him. Sinema on the other hand is just totally unpredictable and confusing and I have a much bigger problem with her behavior as a result. I suspect she won't survive her next primary in two years at the rate she is going. She also doesn't understand the need to build local media relationships in Arizona so even her constituents are clueless.

jiggyfly and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I know we all hate your cartoons, but I appreciate this one. I like the bill Manchin agreed to, but "inflation reduction" makes me scratch my head.

Nook and MojoMan like this.
  4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Doreen" is really gonna resonate with the boomers this cartoon is intended for

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's telling people what they want to hear, it's taking from the republican playbook.

I don't like the deception but not that big a deal, especially if it does good things and gets people's attention.

ROCKSS and Andre0087 like this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

yea... but it's plausible or even expected

price reduction in prescription drugs due to Medicare being allowed to negotiate drug prices

price reduction in health care (due to OOP prescription drug capped to $2k starting in 2025, insulin co-pay to capped to $35 per month)

the additional supply of energy (production, credits) should in theory put downward pressure on the energy price

emissions reduction should in theory also put downward pressure on insurance costs

assessing-the-macroeconomic-consequences-of-the-inflation-reduction-act-of-2022.pdf (moodysanalytics.com)
    As named, the Inflation Reduction Act will modestly reduce inflation over the 10-year budget horizon. By the fourth quarter of 2031, the consumer price inflation index will be 0.33% lower because of the legislation (see Table 2). This translates into a reduction in CPI inflation of 3.3 basis points per annum on average over the period. Through the middle of this decade the impact of the legislation on inflation is marginal, but it becomes more meaningful later in the decade.

Weighing on inflation by mid-decade are the reforms to Medicare drug pricing, most importantly being Medicare’s ability to negotiate drug prices with pharmaceutical companies. The climate change provisions in the legislation become an increasing headwind to inflation later in the decade. The energy provisions in the Inflation Reduction Act, for example, could reduce the typical American household’s spending on energy by an estimated more than $300 per year in today’s dollars. Lower property and casualty insurance rates for businesses and homeowners and flood insurance for households due to the reduction in emissions and physical risk also lean against inflation.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Sinema says she will 'move forward' on economic bill, giving Democrats the votes to move ahead - CNNPolitics

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema on Thursday night agreed to support the Democrats' economic bill, giving Democrats the 50 votes they need to pass the legislation in the coming days.

"We have agreed to remove the carried interest tax provision, protect advanced manufacturing, and boost our clean energy economy in the Senate's budget reconciliation legislation," Sinema said. "Subject to the Parliamentarian's review, I'll move forward."

"The final version of the Reconciliation bill, to be introduced on Saturday, will reflect this work and put us one step closer to enacting this historic legislation into law."

Nook likes this.
  8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s interesting how conservatives talk about how important it is to enforce the law and how we need more law enforcement yet are upset about increased enforcement of tax laws.

jiggyfly, subtomic, ROCKSS and 4 others like this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I mean it actually should be 180,000 but I'll take the W and also **** all tax cheats to hell.

Also f-k symema for f-king over the country for private equity cash .

Very few people this side of MAGA have made such a cynical journey from Green Party Candidate to 0.1% carried interest lickspittle as she did in... 24 months?

She'll be very rich in 2025. So, i guess she'll have that

#150 SamFisher, Aug 4, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    Nook likes this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Is John Cooper a tax cheat?

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Why would it surprise you that people have a different view of enforcing laws against victimizing people vs. laws in favor of the government taking your money? I would be happy if there was no crime and no taxation.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I would love it if baked f cking chcken just popped out of the god damn air without ingredients, heat or time

now do muinicipal water treatment or air f cking traffic control

jiggyfly, rocketsjudoka and Nook like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

You are really weird. Not the good weird either. You talk in absolutes and as if your opinion is authoritative and ends all discussion.

mtbrays and ROCKSS like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Air Traffic Controllers in the United States make about $1.4 billion dollars per year combined There are about 15.8 million flights in the United States annually per Facts about the FAA and Air Traffic Control | Federal Aviation Administration.. That means each flight would cost about $89 in air traffic control. Say an average of about 25 people per flight (some flights are going to be cargo or small aircraft, though I don't know if they are counting small aircraft on the FAA link there). You could pay for air traffic control with a $4 per ticket surcharge. Those numbers are rough estimates, but shouldn't be too far out of whack. Call it $10 per ticket to be on the safe side. That means no taxation for ATC and the people that use air travel are the ones that pay for it, instead of someone that never flies.

Municipal water treatment is paid for by cities, so it has nothing to do with the IRS. Mine is paid for by use fees, as is trash collection, both by private contractors.

I am getting a pretty crap return on my investment when it comes to federal taxes and would happily trade keeping all my money and the federal government doing only what it can fund through tariffs, use fees, etc.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

So in other words situational ethics and we don’t really respect the law ir think it should be enforced when we don’t like it.

Also while you might not like not paying taxes I believe you are concerned about the debt and Deficit and recognize how not paying what people owe on taxes can contribute to those and add further burden to Americans down the road. So tax evasion isn’t a crime without consequence.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Municipal taxes are still taxes also given the expense of paying for water infrastructure much if that is funded federally and even the cost to maintain them there is federal aid. That is in the bipartisan infrastructure bill and has been in previous bill.

Also airports include control towers and radars are heavily dependent on federal financing and given that most plane flights are between states, along with dual defense use, that definitely falls under the Constitutional purview of the Federal government.
    I can agree the Federal government is very poorly run financially. Even so I doubt any private company would be willing or able to build the Federal air traffic system of the Federal highway system or be able to maintain it.

Besides that do you believe in principle that laws should be respected and enforced?

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is very good news that Sinema is supporting this and did think she would. The benefits from allowing medicare to negotiate drug prices should’ve been done a long time ago.

mdrowe00 and Nook like this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It took one senator to keep greasing parasitic hedge funds. What a gat damn joke.

Voters crippling the senate with their split ticket ballots don't know how they let the uber wealthy off easy.

Nook likes this.