1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That potential AAA lineup is insane now that they’ve added back Lee and Matijevic:
    C Lee
    1B Jones
    2B Hensley
    SS De Goti
    3B Julks
    RF Brinson
    CF Leon
    LF Matijevic
    DH Diaz

8 out of those 9 are legit prospects with everyday big leaguer potential.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not that it’s anything to write home about, but Tyler Whitaker has seen his ops improve 3 straight months, posting an almost-not-embarrassing .617 in July. If he were able to post a 700 ops with a k rate <35% for August, I think that would be progress to lean on and set him up for a chance to regain a lot of luster repeating A ball again next season.

the shark likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My updated Astros prospect rankings for July/post-deadline/post-draft:

Rk Pos Name Grade Note
    1. RHP Hunter Brown 55 Ready to help Houston now
    2. OF Pedro Leon 55 Cutting K's is a huge positive sign; star potential and the one player I really didn't want them to trade
    3. OF Drew Gilbert 55 Very high on him and anxious for him to get going
    4. C Korey Lee 50 Kind of a meh season but didn't look totally overmatched in Houston
    5. OF Jacob Melton 50
    6. C/1B Yainer Diaz 50 so far so good in AAA, stock still trending up
    7. RHP Forrest Whitley 50 I won't give up until he's dead or released
    8. OF Colin Barber 50 Stock will drop dramatically if he doesn't get/stay healthy
    9. RHP Jaime Melendez 50 I'm a believer, breakout candidate next season
    10. OF/1B Ryan Clifford 45+
    11. RHP Alex Santos 45+ Too young for velo drop to be enough to tank his stock, next year will be big
    12. RHP Andrew Taylor 45+ Upon further reflection I am high on him, high upside guy
    13. 3B Joe Perez 45 Needs to stay healthy
    14. OF/IF Tyler Whitaker 45 Showing steady if insufficient improvement; will repeat A ball with a chance to rebound
    15. SS Cristian Gonzalez 45 I'm getting optimistic on him again; huge upside and he's progressed even if his slash line sucks
    16. RHP Jayden Murray 45 Good pickup from the Rays and will make a great 6th/7th SP for the next 3 seasons
    17. RHP Peter Solomon 45 I don't think he's been fully healthy, stock down
    18. RHP Shawn Dubin 45
    19. LHP Parker Mushinski 45
    20. IF Grae Kessinger 45 still a believer, probably not an everyday guy but I do think he'll reach the majors
    21. RHP Adrian Chaidez 40 bummed his dominance in High A didn't carry over to Corpus
    22. RHP Michael Knorr 40
    23. IF David Hensley 40 He is such an odd prospect that it's hard to dismiss the potential even tho he looks like a AAAA utility guy on paper
    24. OF/3B Corey Julks 40 underrated
    25. OF Justin Dirden 40 Needs to prove it in AAA, but stock is way up
    26. RHP Spencer Arrighetti 40 Won't know anything until he gets to 40 ip in AA
    27. RHP JP France 40 underrated; he will make somebody a good MR/SP6
    28. C Miguel Palma 40 might be breaking out in Asheville; either way one to watch for next season
    29. OF Kenni Gomez 40 check back in 4 years
    30. OF Luis Baez 40 check back in 3 years

Other grade 40:
    C: JC Correa, Luke Berryhill, Cesar Salazar, Nerio Rodriguez
    IF: Will Wagner, Shay Whitcomb, Dauri Lorenzo, Freudis Nova
    OF: Jordan Brewer, Logan Cerny, Kenedy Corona, Alex McKenna, Quincy Hamilton
    P: Miguel Ullola, Edinson Batista, Julio Robaina, Carlos Calderon, Angel Macuare, Jimmy Endersby, Jairo Solis, Ronel Blanco, Misael Tamarez

Grade 35+:
    C: Juan Santander, Sandro Gaston, Collin Price, CJ Stubbs, Scott Manea
    IF: Alberto Hernandez, Yohander Martinez, Luis Santana, Darwin De Leon, Alex De Goti
    OF: Ross Adolph, Matthew Barefoot, Scott Schreiber, Joey Loperfido, Zach Daniels, Marty Costes, Luis Guerrero, Michael Sandle
    P: Colton Gordon, Ryan Gusto, AJ Blubaugh, Tyler Ivey, Carlos Espinosa, Trey Dombroski, Nolan DeVos, Alimber Santa, Rhett Kouba, Valente Bellozo, Alfredi Jimenez, Tyler Brown, Cody Deason, Austin Hansen, Jonathan Bermudez, Jacob Coats, Jojanse Torres, Diosmerky Taveras, Matt Ruppenthal, Jonathan Sprinkle, Blair Henley, Heitor Tokar, Ernesto Jaquez

July was good month for Houston's farm. They didn't lose any major prospects in the deadline, had a few guys have really good months, and added 4 potential studs in the draft. They are probably still 1-2 elite prospects away from seeing their overall farm ranking fall more into the average range, but considering how good their big league team is and how their farm is stratified, they are in good shape.

Do WHAT? and Shark44 like this.
  4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Logan Cerny with his 15th:

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. HTown2017Champs

Justin Dirden is 3-4 so far with 2 RBIs, and is a triple away from the cycle. Up to 20 homers on the season. It is more than time to call him up to AAA. Was hoping we'd make a move or two to help clear space for him in AAA.

phasors28 and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

A triple away from the cycle is like being 2 chicks short of a threesome

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I've seen enough. He needs to be heading north on 77/59 first thing tomorrow morning.

Justin Dirden 2 homers tonight to give him 20 on the year.

8. HTown2017Champs

Or you could just say North on Interstate 69.
    Anyway, thought it was 1 single, 1 double, and 1 homer. Turns out its 2 homers and a double. Very impressive. If I don't see him in AAA sometime this season I will be very angry.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

There are no 69 signs after Rosenberg.

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Nice relief outing for Aaron Brown: 6 IP, 2 H, 3 K

prospecthugger likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Since 2006, here are the Astros prospects who posted >880 ops in AA (min 200 pa):
    Enmanuel Valdez
    Justin Dirden
    Jon Kemmer
    AJ Reed
    Alex Bregman
    JR Towles
    Seth Beer
    Taylor Jones
    George Springer
    Ben Zobrist
    Max Stassi
    Hunter Pence
    JD Martinez

That’s 5 all-stars (Bregman, Pence, Martinez, Zobrist, Springer), 1 good everyday catcher (Stassi), 3 fringey big leaguers (Beer, Towles, Jones), 2 total busts (Reed, Kemmer), and 2 TBD (Valdez, Dirden). Bodes pretty well for those 2 TBD guys.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Collin Price was Fayetteville's DH tonight and went 1-4 in his pro debut.

prospecthugger and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. phasors28

phasors28 Member

really wish we had kept Valdez. Oh well

Altuve would be on that list but he was a beast in the minors

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Went to the Space Cowboys game tonight. Really cool to watch McCullers and Keuchel duke it out. Couple of things:

the stat line for McCullers doesn’t show well, the 3 runs/2 earned was honestly a lot of bad luck and poor decisions/almost errors by the defense.

brinson has a ****ing cannon.

leon reminds me of bregman/Peña in that he always seems to be trying to do too much. Big at bats came away with strikeouts reaching or swinging for the fence.

korey Lee couldn’t get the ball all the way to second on 2 SB attempts.

Overall, kinda a boring game. They got 3 runs in 1 inning off some weird singles and bad throws like i said, then we got 3 runs on zero hits, just walks and hit batters haha.

the ovation for Keuchel when he got pulled was really cool to see.

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

What would be the cons of bringing Pedro Leon up and give him some time in CF? With Jake looking like he should be on the 60-day IL, Chas more of a 4th OF type and Dubon as a pure utility guy; would it really impact our long-term future to give Leon an opportunity?

I'm a baseball amateur fan, but the clips I've seen he just looks so dynamic as a defender and hitter. Is it possible Click thinks he could have the guy we need already in the system?

16. prospecthugger

The intricacy of MLB roster construction. Pedro Leon isn't rule 5 eligible until after 2024, but bringing him up starts his clock and sending him back down would start using options. Basically they're incentivized to make sure he is ready before bringing him up.

Shark44 and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Bringing him up means using a 40-man roster spot (Rule 5 is out the door at this point), then once he's called up to the active MLB roster his service time clock starts, and runs for every day he's in MLB

I'm not sure how much of any of this would matter to the Stros if they thought he could contribute right now. My guess is, they don't think so yet.

Wulaw Horn and No Worries like this.
  18. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Leon might still get called up if he produces a .950+ OPS month with an even lower strikeout rate in August, especially if McCormick struggles.
    Options are far more an issue for fringe-y major leaguers, which Leon very well could be. If a guy never pans out, you could end up losing him via DFAing long before he hits free agency.

Regardless, Meyers needs either a trip to the IL or to AAA. People fixate on the arm, but the man has zero power this year, after looking like a guy with some pop last year.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Meyers 1st 15 games vs last 15 (not including tonight, he’s now played 31 total games)

.296 .328 .444 .772, 3BB 18K, 58PA
    .130 .200 .196 .396, 2BB 20K, 50PA

He's either still hurt or re-hurt and hiding it (my guess) or the league has totally figured him out (this would suck). Either way he needs a break in SL to work on some things.

Wulaw Horn and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Leon is a high enough ceiling player with enough potential remaining development to justify keeping him down until he’s all the way ready. Between his defection, the pandemic, and the way they’ve moved him around so much defensively, I think there’s still untapped potential and a chance he could break out and reach an entirely new level. Don’t want to start his service time clock and potentially waste precious seasons having develop while trying to be the primary CF on a team focused solely on winning the WS.

Shark44 likes this.