1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whats wrong with Jones?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, Jul 2, 2004.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

As many debate and continue to add the list of players the Rockets should try to add, I haven't heard one mention of a logical choice, Damon Jones. After the sensational rookie ,TJ Ford went down, he stepped in and ran the team well. He has good size, a decent shooter and never turns the ball over. In the playoffs against the swarming Pistons d, he avg 7.4 asst ,10.7 ppg and shot over 50%. He's 27 yrs old and seems to be a very good guy. He was almost a Rocket before , then CD decided to resign Moochie. I can live with Jones/Lue pg duo.

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Jones is a good player. Very underrated sort. He'd be a good fit, actually. I just took a look at his stats for the first time, and honestly, I might jump on the bandwagon.

So-so defender though.

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

One more thing... In 82 games, he had 4 or more turnovers 4 times. He had 7 or more assists 30 times.

That's just amazing.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Jones is a nice player, Rox really should have picked him up. But Damon is more of a backup player than a starter. Yes, he did a great job of filling in for Ford, but is just not a starter.

5. oniichan

oniichan Member

he's also very cocky and selfish. He;s boys with francis and cat. He also when was let go by Rudy T awhile back started talking trash and had ill feelings towards the rockets and Rudy. He is a baby

6. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Sure. Bring him in.

One of the funny scenes I remember with DJ was once him and Bibby were on the same team (Grizz in Vancouver). Bibby didn't get back on defense and SF or Cat nailed two 3s in a row.

During the timeout everyone was yelling at Bibby; most of all DJ! He was sooo mad, punching his fist in his palm yelling, "Get the hell back on defense!!!"
    :D

Bibby had a sour-puss face! :( He knew he messed up.

7. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I don't remember his saying anything like that. Didn't we release him so he could latch onto another team and actually get playing time. Who did he say these things to?

8. Hmm

Hmm Member

Jim Gray.

9. oniichan

oniichan Member

he said it to rudy and the press.
    i read it in the chronicle.

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Leebigez, I agree he had a fine season. Concerns are that he only as had this last one really shine and he never has run a team for a year.

I'd still take him for the 1.6 exemption in a heart beat. After that we have to break up the MLE for him and it is a question of what he wants relative to his value versus alternative like Arroyo, Fisher, or Alston. All the latter have run teams and I would say have a little less uncertanty about them as steady PGs.

He is worth talking to for sure.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

he's a good player to take what i expect to be alot of open jumpers. i'd take him over lue but i wouldn't be satisfied with him running the team(starting) over the long haul. i'd be much happier with a barry/jones combo or a fisher/jones combo. whether thats feasible or not i'm not really sure.

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've mentioned Damon Jones at least half a dozen times. You must not be paying much attention to me. :(

13. Sane

Sane Member

Maybe he's just no good at running a halfcourt team, which is why he was barely serviceable during his career, except last year when all he had to do was run run run?

14. Raven

Raven Member

Isn't this another guy who's had one good year.

It's these type of players that kill a franchise.

Throw a lot of money at him, and then his game goes straight down the toliet.

15. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I posted this in this thread already, but I think it applies here:

Only saw 6 Bucks games last year (sad, considering I was in the town most of the time).

Jones is alright. He's got good size, he's an alright shooter. Defense is pretty average.

My knocks on him: he's really not a floor general type. He's a bit more sluggish than you would think a guy his size would be, and he's a little too ready to fire that three. Consider this:

Arroyo: 28 mpg, 1.6 threes attempted per game
    Fisher: 22 mpg, 2.2 threes attempted per game
    D. Jones: 25 mpg, 3.3 threes attempted per game

Over half his shots were threes (not even Fisher did that). And that's on a Bucks team with some good outside shooters: Redd, E. Strickland, Kukoc, Van Horn. Hey, maybe it's a good thing that he's content to essentially be a short shooting guard out on the floor who sits on the perimeter and shoots threes. However, I want just a bit more out of my starting point, and I don't want D. Jones taking foolish threes when Yao and McGrady can get us better shots.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

who's talking about throwing a lot of money at him? when i've suggested him I've suggested we sign him to a cheap contract for a year or two until a good permanent replacement comes along. I'm just not too thrilled with many of the available point guards. I don't think much of Derek Fisher and he seems to be the best available point guard.

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

If we can't get Barry or Arroyo, I'd take him to back up Lue.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I say sign Damon as the starter and make Lue the backup. JVG does not like turnovers, so I bet JVG has some serious man love for DJ. A big plus is that DJ won't break the bank when he signs.

Down the road, the Rox can draft a better 1 or sign one in free agency.

19. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I said this another Thread, this is very Underrated. has Good handels , good basketball IQ and most of all he is a houston Native. :D

20. Ying Yang

Ying Yang Member

He should be a Rocket he does all the things we need in a Point Guard.Has his agent contacted CD yet?