1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Ideas 2022-23

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jun 27, 2022.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's possible, but the player has to be really good, if he's on a long contract. I didn't use the word bad.

2. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Were you talking to yourself? :D

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not long...just through 2023-2024. I see the Rockets using ~half their cap space in 2023 to get a player for themselves and the other half in 2024. Instead of wasting the cap space in 2023, I see Rockets trying to use it to get a future FRP with a bad contract. The player quality is mostly irrelevant except the FRP may be better if the player is actually worse.

4. Scarface

Supporting Member

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets get Hayward, best player in this trade, plus picks?

7. Scarface

Supporting Member

Is Hayward the best player in this scenario? I think it’s subjective. I’m not disagreeing nor am I agreeing.

Hayward and Gordon are almost identical in stats for their careers. They both miss a lot of games every season and both have 2 years left on their deals. The reason you get an asset for taking on Hayward is that he gets paid $31 million per year with no out while Eric gets $20 million with the optional out next year. Even though the contracts aren’t exactly the same Hayward to me is in a similar situation as John Wall was with us last year. Good player but not worth the contact.

My reasoning for the additional pick was because Eric was worth a first in the last two trade windows. So one pick to take on Hayward and one for Eric. It’s okay to disagree though.

D-rock likes this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"EGO only pawn in game of life."
    ---Eric Gordon, channeling "Mongo" from "Blazing Saddles"

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I’d do that for one pick. The rockets should try to move to the 2nd or 3rd pick next draft.

That would give you 3 picks total. Along with the Nets assets if needed. Find the hopefully perfect player to pair with Jabari and Green. While deciding which of the two you want to keep out of KPJ Eason and Sengun.

10. fattz

fattz Member

Balancing out the roster while getting a big

Garuba & Martin
    …for..,
    Walker Kessler

We don’t pay Martin & use him to move Garuba guaranteed contract for a promising big that Smith’s former team mate. They played well together at Auburn. Jazz gets two for the price of one. I think both Martin and Garuba would benefit from a change of scenery. We are giving a lot but we can’t keep them all.

11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

That would be nice but absolutely no way the jazz would do it.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Cavs would never give up that pick for Gordon and getting rid of a year of Love.

13. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Cavs aren't giving up the 2024 1st. They'll be hoping to use it on Bronny to try and lure LeBron home.

14. Scarface

Supporting Member

Bronny is currently scheduled to be a late 2nd rounder. I could see someone using a late throwaway 1st in an attempt to get Lebron.

15. Scarface

Supporting Member

You might be right but they were exposed late last year as having no one to get them a bucket late in games other than Garland. This helps solve that problem.

16. fattz

fattz Member

The Jazz are blowing it up and 2 for 1 has appeal to most. Maybe not the “right” two for them but we should inquire and listen to their thoughts. It needs to be Garuba & someone. Walker Kessler is great fit for our needs. We should find a way to blend him into our team. We can’t keep all the players we have long term anyway. I am not opposed to a slight overpay for him because of long term fit.

Believe It! likes this.
  17. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Sounds good.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Cavs have too many guards as it is.

They need bigs because their system depends on 2-3 big lineups.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Healthy Sexton solves problem too.

20. Scarface

Supporting Member