1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Trey Mancini to Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Aug 1, 2022.

1. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

2. CrazyJoeDavola

Looking at Mancini's stats. UGH. Looks pedestrian. He sure Ks a lot. Am I missing something?

3. awc713

awc713 Member

Playing in Camden yards certainly did not help him. He’s put up fantastic numbers in the past despite really poor lineups around him. I think he will do well in this lineup and in this ballpark.

4. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Gotta feel like they are less than 50/50 that Brantley is returning given this trade. But big kudos on pulling a nice young arm from Tampa, gotta believe Click has inside info on him. Siri is a strike out machine and there is plenty of guys in front of him that need more ABs.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I do not think Mancini has anything to do with the outfield. He is a bench bat that can play 1st base/DH. He replaces Matijevic on the Active roster. The outfield has yet to be dealt with.

Tomstro likes this.
  6. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Click said Mancini hits lefties and righties well and said could be a good pinch hitter. So he acquired him as a bench player and has other players(Bell) in mind???

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Impact of Camden Yards' left field distance:

Trey Mancini has 11 home runs this year. If he played in Minute Maid Park, his expected home run total would be 22. According to Baseball Savant.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Mancini helps in a lot of areas, can play 3 positions and gives us a quality pinch hitter late. His numbers should play up at MMP. Minimal prospect cost as it looks right now.

I would be a lot happier with this move if I knew Brantley was coming back, as is I still really think we need Bell.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Hopefully they can get an extension done with him that would make this trade even sweeter

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Chase McDermott slides into #12 on Baltimore's prospect list. His lack of control probably leaves him as a bullpen arm, but those K numbers are amazing. Would be nice to have kept him, but most of the time guys like that can't stick in the majors because you have to throw strikes.

13. FEDEXROCKETS13

This sounds more heartfelt than the typical athlete response after being traded

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Gurriel has a sub-.700 OPS in 2 of the past 3 seasons and has bad numbers in the postseason. Mancini is not only 8 years younger, he's an upgrade with the bat. You have to take into account that Camden Yards was remodeled this year to create a giant left field, and that's suppressed his power. He's going to love the Crawford Boxes.

jakedasnake and No Worries like this.
  15. conquistador#11

I thought Mancini had most of his starts at LF like in 2018. That was the last time I checked in on the Orioles. So I thought definitely Brantley is gone forever. =(
    But recently all of Mancini's games have been @1B and DH and some RF. He is basically what we were looking for in Bell without having to give up anything of consequence. Mancini will be better here and the Stros can still swing for a CF.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Mancini 2022

DH: 51 games
    1B: 29 games
    RF: 10 games
    LF: 3 games

everyday eddie and jakedasnake like this.
  17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

With Bell gone, I think Mancini will start at 1B against righties and Yuli against lefties most of the time. I think Mancini will get some starts in LF and DH too depending on matchups.

18. conquistador#11

Yeah wasn't that the way we thought the team would use Bell. Spare Yuli and Hit DH? You really couldn't move Yuli completely from 1st base with his expertise at picking everything that comes his way. With Mancini, you can sprinkle some outfield play. It works out better I think.

19. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

+1 for Mancini. We took the Orioles heart of the team similar to Reddick when he was with the A's. This is the type of player we need experience and never won before. He should take over J.Meyer's spot and share time at 1st with Gurriel. This solves 1st and OF problems, so I think we are done.

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Click has said they are not.

If Brantley does not come back, IF specifically CF is still a weak link.

LF) McCormick, Diaz, Alvarez, Mancini
    CF) Meyers, McCormick, Dubon
    RF) Tucker, McCormick, Mancini.

Out of all of those listed, Tucker is the only one who should be playing in the OF every day

So it's a daily puzzle and juggle until/unless another everyday OF bat is acquired or Brantley comes back.