1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

Who knows, but what’s the point of trading Odo
    Deadline is tomorrow, wait it out and another team might have gotten desperate after whiffing on their main target. And it’s highly doubtful teams were beating the Braves door down for Smith, so surely that deal still would have been there.

2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really hope there is more to come.

raining threes likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

There were discussions with different teams a week or so ago but when it came down to it, some buyers became sellers and others turned their attention to other needs and it was Cardinals or bust.

I know people are disappointed but the Astros have a log jam and are out from the Odorizzi option next year.

Jake just isn’t really that valued around the league when teams have other options.

I hoped they would dump Jake in a salary shedding move but that wasn’t even available.

If the Astros have their way we will make a big move or two tomorrow. They have the money and assets and desire to fix 1st base and centerfield.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The Astros still have a lot of dry powder. They’d didn’t trade any of their top 10 prospects today. And they still should have enough financial flexibility to do what they want. They’re in good shape. It’s just a matter of if they can get a deal they think is worth it.

5. CinematicFusion

Braves fans sure want Smith gone.

6. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Hopefully Bell and Taylor. Taylor would be the cheapest option for CF and although not many here wants him, seems better than Meyers at this point. Now if they can't get Bell, I would prefer a better option than Taylor.

The Beard, BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  7. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

lmao - Click read the clutchfans board realized “oh crap I didn’t get enough in return” and is demanding additional prospects.

8. Nook

Nook Member

I would be happy with that personally. Bell and Taylor or Bell and Happ.

They are open to any big opportunities that make sense tomorrow. They want to add a really nice bat to the order and/or add a good player under multiple years of control.

The dark horse is Carlos Rodon. The Astros like him (even if he hasn’t returned the thoughts). If he is available tomorrow the Astros may make a push for him. That’s speculation on my point but what I was told is they are open minded to anything tomorrow.

9. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I was told by someone that they still have an offer out there on Bell. Not sure if it’s real or not.

That being said- if they acquire Bell, I’d be cool with trotting McCormick out there and possibly sending Meyers back down to get right and bring up Leon and roll with Chas/Leon in CF.

Laureano would be a nice get too. I have a feeling that Brantley may be done. If that’s the case, Mancini will fill that role nicely. But it will still mean that one of CF or 1B still needs to be upgraded. I’m encouraged by this.

BHannes2BHonest, BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  10. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Im high on Rodon.

everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Haven’t heard of any issues. Could be another team made an offer before the deal was official (rare).

Could be something in the Odorizzi option has Atlanta reconsidering.

The most likely is the money part hasn’t been worked out.

It would be funny if Jake told ATL he won’t report if he doesn’t get guaranteed starts.

12. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

So if Bell were to happen, where’s Mancini? OF?

13. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Possibly but I said it earlier but Click said he would be a good bench bat because he can hit off both lefties and righties.

whiskeyred likes this.
  14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Knew that was coming too. He sucks.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

He also said he can play in the outfield. His whole bit was about his versatility not just some bench option

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trade Will Smith to the Pirates for Bryan Reynolds’s and the guy they got for Quintana. Problem solved. :)

Nook likes this.
  17. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

@Nook why does this feel like McCormick or Meyers Urquidy and a couple prospects for Cedric Mullins at the deadline?

This is so a Astros move.

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

did we ever get the official news on this?

19. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

So far I think Click has addressed 3 problems.
    First was one I talked about a couple of weeks ago. Odorizzi needed to be moved out of the clubhouse and away from the team. I honestly thought it was going to cost a lot more than it did. As it stands Odo is gone and we got a broken LH reliever in return. He will cost us less money this season than Odo and the buy out for him next winter is $1m our option while Odo's is over $6m his option. Plus there is at least a possibility that Smith can be fixed and cover his own cost.
    The second and third are both depth problems.
    Castro is not going to recover and Lee just does not have the experience to carry a team through the play-offs in case of an injury to Maldonado. Vazquez fills that role nicely and can also rest Martin as often as needed in the time remaining before the play-offs. I still expect Maldonado to catch most of the play off games and return next season to split time with Lee.
    Matijevic is a fair prospect but like Lee he does not have the experience to play the !st base/DH bench role in the playoffs and take over at first base or at DH whenever he might be needed, Mancini does. With Gurriel and Brantley aging before our eyes those 1st base & DH at bats could become critical. Truth is as of now we still have no Idea about Brantley's availability to DH at all.
    That leaves the outfield unaddressed up til now. I am not convinced there is a better option in CF than standing pat but if there is one time is quickly running out for Click to lock it up.

#4219 BlindHog, Aug 2, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  20. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Michael Schwab threw Adolis Garcia’s name out there as a potential target. (Yes, I rolled my eyes too). But to be fair- he called the Vazquez trade a few hours before it was announced.
    I have no idea why the Rangers would trade him(especially to us). But he is a bit older than I thought- 29.

Something maybe to keep an eye on.

desihooper likes this.