1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What about Jay Williams?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jul 2, 2004.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I know he is hurt, but he is making a comeback. Why not take a chance and sign him for the veteran minimum, and see if he pans out?

His Comeback Blog

DD

2. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Great player once, but not worth the risk.

Snow or Fisher are my picks.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

I have always been an advocate of it. There's nothing a lose but a small wad of cash.

4. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I cant see JVG taking a chance on him!. but if did and ha paned out we would have the 1 and # 2 pick 2202 Draft. a Irony that the Bulls Fans would'nt Find too Amusing. :D

5. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

That was March; I doubt he's back to 80, 90% in such a short time. I don't see why people talk about risk for the minimum. For the minimum, you're talking about practically nothing in terms of NBA salary and a roster spot. There's no risk. The question is whether he's worth checking out. When he's back to near 100%, why not?

The thing with Jay Williams though is that he's a lot like Francis: 2-guard in a point's body. One reason why I was keen on Duhon before the draft is because he had his most successful year playing alongside Jay Williams. However, Francis wasn't a good fit for the Rockets. Why would Jay Williams be better?

6. DaDakota

He might not be, but why not take a look?

DD

7. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

STAY AWAY!!!

8. lalala902102001

What made Jason Williams special was his great athletic abilities. He had a 40 inch vertical and was lightning fast. He should have lost most of that due to the accident. So now you have a short, slow PG with a suspicious outside shot (gerrr...reminds me of Mark Jackson). I don't think that Jay will be back in the league again.

9. DaDakota

10. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Thats actualy a very astuiate point. In Duke he was never a great Shooter, he made his living by his atheletic abilities. Sure he wa a good passer, but most of those passes were due to him beating his man down the floor because of his quickness. if he has lost those abilities, i say hes next to useless!

11. writhe

writhe Member

Absolutely, we should call him.

I'd rather have Jay Williams at the end of my bench than Mike Wilks.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Can anyone say Bobby Hurley? Jay's career is pretty much over.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well Wilks does have the advantage of being able to run which apparently Jay does not have.

I think being able to run is an important, but often overlooked skill a point guard needs....

14. Nova

Nova Member

No, not Williams. He's not worth the risk. I'd rather go for Hudson and/or Daniels.

15. writhe

writhe Member

Wilks is garbage. Sign Jay Williams and rotate him in and out of the IR until he improves. If he never comes around, say goodbye next Summer.

It's that easy.

16. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

He was almost CRIPPLED MAN. you just dont come back from those injuries. heck it's minor miracle his walking again. i dont wanna sound harsh, but you just go with the Odds, and they say his finished!