1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you collect anything?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Jul 29, 2022.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I also collect playing cards. When I find unusual ones, not as souvenir though I guess I have some of those. It started when my wife-to-be bought me an African-themed deck with African royals. Then whenever I saw something unusual, I picked it up. But my children took to using my cards for playing games, losing cards, roughing them up, etc, and now the collection is in a sorry state.

Dankstronaut and jiggyfly like this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'd love to see some pictures of your plants.

I looked into making a more in-depth mix but one of my rules of thumb for my hobbies is to keep things as simple and time-efficient as is feasible (within a decent budget, it's a hobby). From what I'm reading, a B+ or A grade soil mix is probably going to work for me with the law of diminishing returns coming for A+ grade.

This guide led me to using Miracle-Gro cactus mix 1/2 with pearlite. https://mountaincrestgardens.com/blog/succulent-soil-the-ultimate-guide/

I'm also going to mix in Bondide Insect Control granules to kill anything that's in the soil mix and prevent it going forward.

Ascetically, pumice looks better vs pearlite but I plan on capping everything with decorative gravel or other types of stones. Pumice is more expensive, too. I might be wrong about all of it, but I'm willing to give it a shot, it's a cheap experiment.

Do you have any resources for different needs for different types of plants? succulentsandsunshine.com has some digital cards you can flip through but I prefer indexed data that I can search and sort. I also was able to download this book on my Kindle Unlimited and it's pretty good, but again, not as searchable as an app or website.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Starbucks city mugs from traveling.
    Astros bobbleheads

Having kids has slowed down both of these things though it’s maybe something we’ll do together in the future.

My oldest and I have been getting Jurassic World dinosaurs and hot wheels together. I’m thinking legos will be added to that list at some point.

If I had more moolah I’d love to collect guitars.

jiggyfly and Xerobull like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If I ever hit the lottery I would definitely collect cars, not high-priced cars but cars I have always wanted mainly 80's and 90's cars and some 60's like a Mustang and something in the Mopar family.

Some corvettes as well.

JumpMan, Colt45 and BigM like this.
  5. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Baseball, football and basketball cards (concentrating on Colt .45's/Astros, Oilers/Texans and Rockets) and I've been thinking about trying to get at least one game program from every Colt .45's/Astros season. I've got a few of interesting ticket/ticket stubs (Game 2, 2019 ALCS, last Astros game in the 'Dome, last Oilers game ever (vs Baltimore, first ever Texans game).

6. Asian Sensation

James Harden playoff exits and the tears of his fanbois every summer.

Blake, Entropy and Xerobull like this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

On brand.

[​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

You know what's crazy too, it started when I was like 10 and I got to spend a night at the MGM grand. I was gifted a house deck, they had a hole punched in them to show they were real and they couldn't be used to cheat. I couldn't tell you where those cards are now. They began the collection and probably would be cooler than a lot of the decks I have and I don't even have them lol...

It also got around that I collect them so people have gifted me other cool decks, they're not just travel collects anymore. I got a double deck of Futurama cards that are pretty awesome.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. I went to school with a guy who is apparently about to visit his 17,000th Starbucks. In a way, I suppose you could say he collects Starbucks visits/pics. I'm guessing you're not that big a fan, though. :D

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Whoa. No we almost never even buy a coffee. Most of the time I just try and grab a mug at the airport. It’s about the souvenir, Starbucks just happens to make it.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  11. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Pokemon cards, but I "share" them with the kids.

If I go somewhere cool, I will collect a hat from there (Luxembourg, Costa Rica, etc.).

12. JuanValdez

Had to google it. There's over 33,000 Starbucks in the world, so he's visited half of them? Is there a single employee who works for Starbucks who can say they've visited that many?

13. JuanValdez

Also, I'm approximately 17,000 days old. If you visited 5 per day, it'd still take you 10 years to visit 17,000. You sure you didn't add an extra zero?

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I collect too much stuff and I blame my Dad for it because we did it while I was a kid and I've never really stopped:

• I probably have over 2,000 Starting Lineup Figures. Most are not very valuable, but some are very valuable. Some of the prices have really jumped in the last few years.
    • A decent comic book collection with some great keys.
    • Baseball, Basketball, and Football cards
    • Some random toys, Star Wars figures, some Hot Wheels (nothing ultra valuable, but if I run across a treasure hunt in retail, I'll buy it for sure).
    My wife collects Christmas ornaments, mostly Hallmark.

I was slightly too old to get into Pokemon originally, and never picked it up along the way. I probably missed that by 2-3 years when it first hit the US.

I vividly remember asking the guy at Comics and Cards at Louetta and Stuebner Airline about that weird box of "Magic" cards that he had for $1 a pack. He said they were "some card game like D&D, you wouldn't be interested" and that how I didn't buy any $1 Alpha packs in 1993. I also didn't buy the 5,000 card flat box of Pokemon and Magic cards from the guy in my dorm in college in 1998 that needed $50 and was done playing with "kids stuff."

Xerobull, BigM and jiggyfly like this.
  15. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I suppose my inventory of guitar and recording gear is a "collection", although it's not one that would ever go in a display case.

I still have the comics I collected as a teenager but haven't added to it since the early 90s. I might be inclined one of these days to collect all issues of Rom Spaceknight (a comic that ran from 1979 to 1985 and has never been reissued due to the fact that a toy company owns the intellectual property), as it was the first series I started collecting and I genuinely enjoy the stories and artwork.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. No, I didn't. He's been doing it for over 20 years, but I haven't talked to him since I was probably in high school outside of one random meeting with him when I was in college. He's.... different. Even in school, we knew he was ... different. Really smart, really nice, but.... different. He changed his name to "Winter". Just "Winter". Somewhere along the way he decided to visit every Starbucks in America, though I think he's branched out to other countries, too. lol. He's been on tv because of it. This is his site : http://www.starbuckseverywhere.net/

VooDooPope, Os Trigonum and BigM like this.
  17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Who made his website? Is that a geocities or angelfire?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ottomaton likes this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That website has been that way for around 20 years. I kind of dig it. You can see everything fairly well and get to it fairly easily. Unlike NBA.com or something where there's like 500 links flashing and moving and bouncing around with videos. lol. I'm guessing he could make something more complex and "visually appealing" since he's a software developer. Just noticed he's ranked pretty high in world rankings for Scrabble. I really need to get in touch with him again. lol.

jiggyfly and BigM like this.
  20. Roscoe Arbuckle

Do those Topsy Turvy things work for tomatoes? I can only grow herbs.