1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Port Arthur, TX: Houston Top Choice for F Stephen Jackson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by forchette49, Jul 2, 2004.

1. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

http://www.panews.com/articles/2004/07/02/sports/news03%20copy.txt

Jackson eyes Spurs' interest
    By Tom Halliburton - The News sports writer

Tim Duncan and Stephen Jackson have kept in touch. Do not be surprised if they are reunited in the next couple of weeks.

The NBA's annual two-week bargaining window for free agents started on Thursday and Port Arthur's Jackson figured the San Antonio Spurs, with their superstar Duncan, owned the inside track on re-acquiring the former Spurs player.

NBA regulations prohibit the announcements of any free-agent contracts prior to July 14.

This promises to be the type of pay raise that Jackson should like. The former Lincoln standout should jump to at least the $5 or $6 million range after playing extremely well for a "mere" $1 million last winter with the Atlanta Hawks.

Atlanta's leading scorer last season, Jackson set career highs with 18.1 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.78 steals after spending the previous two seasons with Popovich and the Spurs.

An unrestricted free agent, Jackson told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution by phone that he did not expect to return to the Hawks next season. Jackson cited the Hawks recent draft of Josh Childress, Josh Smith and Donta Smith as indications why he should look elsewhere.

"They've got three kids similar to my position," Jackson said. "Atlanta is a place I'd love to be but they are in a rebuilding situation and they have to do what's best for the team."

Chances are that Jackson would prefer to stay nearer to home, with the Spurs or the Houston Rockets. Jackson told The Port Arthur News that he would love to play in Houston but he had not received any contact from any Rockets officials.

"I would love to play in Houston," Jackson said. "That's a dream. That's a perfect situation... like Kobe (Bryant) to play at home in Philly."

The addition of Tracy McGrady enhances the Rockets' appeal for many free agents in the upcoming weeks. Jackson did not feel the idea of signing with Houston was unrealistic.

"I wouldn't say that," he said. "Anything's possible being a free agent and Houston always has the advantage of being at home. I'm weighing all my options and if Houston's the best place for me, and they would come with the best situation for me and my family, then I'm going for it."

By maintaining a good rapport with Duncan and former coach Gregg Popovich, Jackson easily may discover his best situation can remain in San Antonio. Only this summer, the 26-year-old Jackson wants the longer-term security that the Spurs would not offer last summer.

Once Jackson went shopping, he found few interested suitors. Then he responded with a standout season in Atlanta.

Duncan contacted Jackson after this season, telling Stevie that he definitely wanted Jackson to return to the Spurs. NBA regulations prohibited Popovich from making some communication before Thursday.

Jackson sounded enthusiastic about the idea of returning to San Antonio.

"I was a big part in them winning that (2003 NBA) championship," Jackson said. "I think the main reason they lost (to the Lakers in the Western Conference playoffs) was because they couldn't hit outside shots... When you have guys that aren't hitting shots, it definitely takes away from Tim Duncan's game.

"That's why Tim Duncan was able to play so well and I was able to play so well. I got open shots off Tim and guys weren't able to double off me to stop Tim from playing one-on-one. Each team needs other guys as role players and I think I fit in real well in San Antonio."

Jackson cited his close relationship with Popovich as a critical reason why San Antonio owned the inside track to retaining his services. Jackson described Popovich as a father figure.

"Pop is like a father away from home," Jackson said. "Me and Pop definitely had our differences but our differences at the time were set up because he was trying to do what was best for the organization and I was looking out for what was best for myself."

Popovich and the Spurs have other in-house free-agent decisions to make this summer, such as whether to retain the services of guard Manu Ginobili and wing man Bruce Bowen.

Ginobili has been reported to have an interest in the Denver Nuggets. The Spurs also are said to be one of many teams looking into the possibility of acquiring Kobe Bryant.

2. Raven

Raven Member

3. Nova

Nova Member

I don't think the Rox need him or will get him... although I wouldn't object too much to signing him for very little. :)

He would probly play backup to McGrady and JJ, or possibly start at the 2. What's nice is that he thinks of himself as a role player to obviously superior players (like Duncan, McGrady, etc.) and he's not a bad shooter/slasher.

4. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

wow wouldnt that be nice to have SJackson play along side Yao and Tmac.. he would be the perfect 3 for us. Even though I would prefer someone more atheletic he can play the 2 or the 3 easily. His turnovers are an area of concern but he comes from a team that turns the ball over constantly.

J

Fisher
    Tmac
    SJackson
    JHoward
    Yao

our starters would be definately taller.

5. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

The title is misleading. Jackson cites the appeal of playing in his hometown, but the article is all about why he'll likely go to San Antonio.

Jackson would be alright, but we need a starting PG and a backup big man before we need a swingman that's not a short-term move for depth (like Eric Williams).

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Pleaseeee noooo.. This guy has the worst shot selection i have ever seen. he makes mobely look like Stockton. He also commits turnovers let and right!. Please tell me the rox are not gonna consider jackson?

7. New Jack

New Jack Member

Well, using the logic of many posters here, he’s got experience playing with a big man (a big man who's game resembles Yao's much more than Shaq) and he can knock down open shots, so I guess that means the Rockets need to get him.

8. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Jackson would be nice, but he might be asking more than MLE. Besides, the current roster has more holes to fill in the PG and PF than SG/SF.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Unless JVG think Boki's never going to develop, there's no reason for this move. T-Mac, JJ, and Boki should get most of the minutes next season at the 2/3. And there's no reason to spend much or all of the MLE on someone who might not get any playing time.

10. shawn786

shawn786 Member

He wants to come here but so do the rest of the NBA's FAs. I know his #s went up last year BUT i acctuly liked him more when he was in SA rather than when he was in ATL been a ball hog...

11. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

If you build it, they will come ...

CD's going to have guys beating down his door the next few years. Heck, the next few months/weeks.

Great time to be a Rockets fan. We have been so lucky to have the players come through this franchise that have worn Rocket red/PJ's.

For the record, I'd pass on Jackson though.

12. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Selfish, jackhappy, ballhog dribble-nut. Great.

KEEP AWAY.

13. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Stay way for jackson unless he comes real cheap. To many turnovers.

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I can't believe that guy put himself in the same sentence as Kobe Bryant.

15. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!. I BELIEVE BROTHER!!!!!:D

16. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

17. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

SJax would spend a lot of time off the ball with Yao and Tracy on the floor, which would minimize his turnovers, much like when JP was the fourth option with Yao, Cat, and Steve. Not a bad pickup for half the MLE.

Not worth the full MLE though.

18. Ying Yang

Ying Yang Member

This Jackson would be a good fit as our Small Forward and JJ and Nachbar could play the back up 2/3 positions. He would need to play under much more control and cut down on his turnovers , I feel sure that JVG could improve his overall performance. A good pick up for about 2 to 3 mil/yr. [ JJ is realy jut too short for a starting Small Forward and is getting too old playing long minutes]

19. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Jackson jacks up everything he touches, hell no.

20. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

For anyone that didn't like Mobley(blasphemy!), you really won't like Stephen Jackson.