1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Nice job guys. I think u only extend KPJ right now for a team-friendly deal; like $10-$12 mil. Even if he has a great year next yr, without incident, it’s still not gonna feel great shelling out $20-$25 mil with just one clean yr on his resume. But obviously getting to see another year of progress is invaluable to assessing his long term potential with the team. So I’m kind of where Lachard is at: I’m good with a super team friendly deal now or waiting till next offseason.

Easy, dmoneybangbang and theDude like this.
  2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand that thought, but I’m still skeptical of of it coming to fruition. I haven’t really seen a precedent that makes me think it’s a real concern.

DaDakota likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He has also always been a pretty terrible FT shooter throughout his career. Unusual for a guard.

King1 and theDude like this.
  4. marinara

marinara Member

I like him but I wouldn’t pay him right now don’t see why it’s a rush honestly unless it was like 10 mil per year.

5. marinara

marinara Member

1 season at SF, 1 season at SG, 1 season at PG.

His made improvements as a PG, why make a desicion right now ?

glimmertwins likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would like to see how he does in Nov, Dec, and Jan before offering him a contract. He ended the year well, let's see if that was a fluke or who he is growing into.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Colin Sexton still waiting on an offer from an another team, and he averaged 24, 3, and 4 on 48/37/82 splits on a terrible team at age 22 just a year ago

8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Exactly, a guy who through 3 seasons was miles better then kpj

9. Moahst

Moahst Member

I think the Rockets should not extend. Houston needs to let KPJr have a "good season" this year without any contract guarantees, enjoy the subsequent draft capital and ultimately cut all ties. Kevin Porter Jr is a talented shooting guard. It's too bad we already have a better one of those who's a bit younger.

tochiee22 likes this.
  10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Whoa, let see him have a 1 full season without the food fights, leaving at halftime during games and limping around on the court(playing like he is hurt) when he created a turnover. I do not trust him.......wait

[​IMG]

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not only should we watch KPJ play one more season to prove himself, we should also watch how TyTy and Nix do and see if they have the potential to be the future starting PG. And we should also make sure we know who are the real cornerstones of the team. Right now Green looks to be one. Jabari and Sengun have the potential too. And who are we going to draft next year?

You don't want to have a big contract at every position, especially with an owner who is allergic to lux tax. Right now is not the time to tie up your money. Wait till we have identify our core, then we start to lock up guys and cash our draft capital for good veterans.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I posted this in the "How much will KPjr make per year on the next deal?" thread before Lachard's thread popped up, in response to this post from @TimDuncanDonaut:
    (Might as well post it again.)

That’s how I feel. His history is a real weight on his value. Let’s see if he can go through an entire season playing the way we’ve seen him play in stretches, and without having any issues off the court. If he does that, he’s worth a different conversation, in my opinion. He also might be worth a better contract.

Right now, I wouldn’t be adverse to the idea of trading KPJ at the deadline, but perhaps he can change my mind. I’d like to see how he’d react to a 6th man role for a stretch of games at some point if Silas decides to try Nix or Washington at the one and Tari at the 3, along with Sengun, Smith and Green. I’d be very interested in seeing how that works sometime in the middle of the 1st half of the season (or whenever Silas has the urge!). Not only would that be a real test of KPJ’s maturity, he could end up being an explosive 6th man on offense, and not bad at all at the other end.

slothy420, Easy, RudyTBag and 2 others like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jalen Brunson money will be where the contract talks START.

KPJ already better than Brunson.

Bobbythegreat and ApacheWarrior like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Everyone keeps talking about the 6th man role and that ship has sailed here......he is the starting PG, if the org decides to go a different direction he will be gone.

But just imagine if he pans out.

6'6" PG
    6'6" SG
    6'8" SF
    6'10 PF
    6'10 C

I mean, we are now maybe the tallest starting lineup in the NBA....

DD

ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

oof

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Honestly KPJ is a total stud and if he can just put together two yrs without a major incident, I think he can be a key piece. Then u really wouldn’t have the concern paying him big money. If they can extend him for 2 yrs/$24 mil that might make sense for everyone.

17. i3artow i3aller

18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Something akin to $10m/year would be fair market price. If he could take a friendly team deal, it'd be even better. Like 3 years $27M with some incentives (like making playoffs, FT%, etc).

His value around the league is pretty low. This league attaches a tag to a player for a long time unless they're proven superstars.

King1 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

These things are very much contextual for non stars based on who has cap room, what their needs are, and what other players fill a similar niche in the market at the time. Cleveland is playing it the way they should which sucks for Sexton but they will get major value out of his deal this way. Honestly this is probably how Houston should play it too but I haven’t done the research to see who has cap room and who is also available when KPJ hits the market. It’s a gamble for sure because you could lose out on a valuable player for nothing, but it looks like it’s going to work out for Cleveland unless Sexton takes the QO and is determined to leave based on feeling not valued. For some players - once they get those million dollar checks, they forget that they didn’t get what they thought they deserved but for others, it matters what they make in relation to their peers/teammates.

the most important note here is KPJ has enough red flags that Houston should only offer him a team friendly deal so they can flip him if they have to. Otherwise, you don’t risk screwing up the cap for your real franchise guys(Green, Sengun, Jabari)

AlperenSengun and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah, teams are already prepping for the new TV / streaming deal
    and paying the main ball handler slash sidekick big bucks in anticipation.
    Definitely $20M is where negotiations start in summer '23

Tate took less money because Jabari and Tari could push him to 3rd
    string or traded day one.

Brunson: $27.7M
    Jamal Murray: $31.6M
    Hield: $21.2M
    Ja Morant goes from $12M to 33.4M
    Lowry: $28M
    D'Angelo Russell: $31.4M
    D Fox: $30.3M
    VanVleet: $21.3M
    Anfernee Simmons: $22M
    Shai Gilgeous-Alexander: $30.9M
    McCollum: $33.3M
    Jrue Holiday: $33.6M
    Garland goes from $8M to $33.4M next season (23/24)
    Terry Rozier: $21.5M
    Brogdan: $22.6M
    Dinwiddle: $20M
    *and some are coming off big deals

From what I project from Porter this year with greater spacing and
    improved scoring targets next to him.....$15M to $18M would be a bargain
    compared to what the asking price will be at seasons end.

TyTy or Nix are not the fall back plan if we lose Porter to say, Dallas, I think
    Josh Christopher is that guy.

I see Josh Christopher when I watch Scoot Henderson....might as well go
    with Christopher. Just a side note: Porter Jr was destroying the G-league
    more than Scoot Henderson is now. And Porter was playing PG for the first
    time then. We will be taking a step backwards.

But you know, throwing a chimichanga at a wall is considered assault with a deadly
    weapon in most countries.

#100 ApacheWarrior, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Bobbythegreat likes this.