1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

They went quantity over quality and name recognition as the foundation.

They are the equivalent of using a great box cover at Blockbuster to move rentals for shitty movies.

Ziggy likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I enjoyed it as well. Very good acting and well written, but agree that the added "love interest" to a true story, suspenseful enough on it's own, wasn't needed. Couldn't really get a handle on the "anti-Hitler" aspect, either, but perhaps there was chatter about it at the time. Spain was a nest of spies, Lisbon even more so.

Of course, I disagree with your "8" for Blade Runner, which is still influencing film and even fashion 40 years after it was made. I'm sure that's no surprise. ;-)

Another excellent film, one set in what some of us hope is more "near future" than far away science fiction, The Martian. From the sound track:

i3artow i3aller and Os Trigonum like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

watched The Martian. It was definitely worth watching, not sure how high I'd rate it though. Damon was good but the rest of it was pretty cartoonish, good actors (Jeff Daniels) but none of them seemed terribly convincing. Also the film lagged a bit about 2/3 in. Could have been a two hour movie I think. The last third of the movie seemed kind of like "science fiction for science fiction's sake." The psychological drama of the first half was more interesting.

Essentially a remake of Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

Guess I'd park it at 7/10. Your mileage may vary

boomboom likes this.
  4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Or a film adaptation of this book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martian_(Weir_novel)

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I read the novel, which is excellent, in my opinion, long before the film came out. I thought Matt Damon's acting and that of the crew was very good, but that the acting of the people at NASA was largely pretty "wooden." To be fair, that might be closer to how NASA's people in high positions talk when in front of the press than we might realize (not so much around each other, though), but it being a Hollywood movie based on a work of fiction, stronger performances would have been welcome, in my opinion.

It's not like the actors weren't capable of giving Ridley Scott, the director (and one of the best, I think), more than what he evidently asked for. The worst performances have to be that of the actors playing higher ups in China's space agency. Perhaps Scott interviewed some people at both NASA and the China National Space Administration, that's how they were, and he went with realism? Beats me.

Having said all that, I enjoyed the film and those out there who haven't seen it ought to, in my opinion. The novel was given high marks for realism. It's an example of "hard science fiction," a genre of science fiction, "which relies on scientific laws, empirical data, and the conditions of reality as human beings currently experience and understand them." (I know Cheetahs are aces when it comes to this stuff, despite not being human)

7. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Finally watched birdbox yesterday with Sandra Bullock..............dang that was good!!

8/10

8. marky :)

marky :) Member

The majority has been terrible. But I did like 'The Grey Man' that just came out. Predictable plot but at least was entertaining.

9. conquistador#11

The Other Woman, HBOMAX, 6/10.
    A lover finds out her man is cheating on her with multiple ladies.
    Isn't this the plot to Chasing Papi Chulo and John Tucker Must die? Why, yes it is! Isn't Leslie Mann one of the most annoying in every movie she is in? F' yeah!
    But I couldn't turn the movie off as much as I wanted it to at the beginning. I ended up liking it.

10. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Is that the one Mrs. Verlander is in?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. conquistador#11

Yes, that one. It's why I gave it a chance but she doesn't show up until much later.

12. i3artow i3aller

Blue Bayou 7.6/10

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Leon on Me came up on Netflix as leaving Jul. 31, so took a chance on that. Morgan Freeman is great, his impassioned soliloquies are the best part of the movie. Other parts are a bit cartoonish and unbelievable (the film's ending in particular). My own father was a high school principal at the same time in the next city over, so parts of the film also resonate a bit with that association. Worth watching, but in the middle somewhere ranking-wise. Maybe a 6.5 or 7/10

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  14. body slam

body slam Member

DC League of Super Pets was fun. I enjoyed it a lot more than Minions The Rise of Gru.. There is a bonus scene after the credits.

GRENDEL likes this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

Honor Society (2022) A Went in cold but a decent comedy and kind of wholesome.
    [​IMG]

Gray Man (2022 - netflix) A The action, stunts and chreo made the film. Few support characters still alive at thend, can see them do a sequel.
    [​IMG]

The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild (2022) B OK if watching with young kids in the family or a background film to play while gaming.
    [​IMG]

Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (film - Disney+) F
    Too Hollywood meta for its own good. One in "2D" and another in 3D, for a 'joke', but more like the filmakers didn't know which to use. Can check it for the car crash that it is.
    [​IMG]

The Nothman (2022) B- Action is ok. Fair amount of guts and gore. The Blonde dude from True Blood is here. And Nicole Kidman and Anna Taylor Joy.
    [​IMG]

Jurassic World Dominion - B
    Was nice to see Sam Neil and Lauren Dern back. Low key wished they were the main characters. Pratt putting his hand out to 'calm' the raptors is approaching Meme territory.
    [​IMG]

#9675 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

The Imitation Game about Alan Turing. Holds up well despite historical inaccuracies. 9/10

GRENDEL, Deckard and i3artow i3aller like this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

the big short - 7/10

didn’t understand the technical terms at all even after they explained it to you several times. maybe they’ll make a 2.5 hour sequel on margot robbie playing in the bathtub.

18. Roscoe Arbuckle

In laymens terms, you can bet on something to fail.

Jontro likes this.
  19. Jontro

Jontro Member

i didn’t even know you can bet on bets on another bet. the financial world is a messy place

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

whiplash - 7/10

watched it after constant random youtube clip recommendations of the movie. i mean... it was aite. the ending was basically the whole point, which apparently was left for debate. i kinda want omniman to win, breh knows wassup. andrew neiman isn't a likeable character. i kinda want a sequel like 10 years later where omniman takes on a new protege, but this time much better, and possibly blek (to go with the times).