1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Some of those guys are better than others but overall I wouldn't expect a ton back. You're talking the depth guys in a weak system. Two of them might get you a bench bat or a reliever.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It also might allow you to be more aggressive with moving Meyers. Lowe and Chas as a platoon in CF seems like a workable long term solution as a high floor, if his defense checks out. Meyers should be able to fetch a decent corner OF heading into arbitration. (CF harder to find than LF) 5 years of control better than 3. That wouldn’t have to be this deadline, you could make that kind of move in the off-season.

3. awc713

awc713 Member

I think the overarching notion is, first, that only a select few individuals in the Astros FO (read: no one on this board, you or I included), really have a true grasp about the projected expectations of the Astros farm, so it’s impossible to blanketly say, prospect X and Y project to be Bregman or JV. The reality is that our farm likely has a lot of future MLB contributors, some at higher levels than others, some will surprise, some will fall short, but a blanket statement that everyone should be available because we have no conclusive future top 5 players is, like seal said, silly.

We can afford to trade several key future contributors to help our current roster. But we cannot afford to just give everyone away because some random internet posters don’t see perennial all stars in our farm. Trust the FO. They know what they’re doing.

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Upgrading the bullpen (without a trade), the Astros can and should bring up Hunter Brown soon and see how he does in long relief. If he can give the Astros 2 to 3 innings of high quality relief at a time every 3 or 4 days then that would be great going into the playoffs. Could be a great bridge straight to Pressly at times. Managers get itchy trigger fingers in the playoffs in pulling starters earlier than in the regular season.

htownrox1, phasors28 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

How the hell should I know, I read stats online and post on message boards.

I would hope Click has a slightly better grasp on who should be untouchable and who shouldn't. Plenty of players have become superstars without being a top 50 prospect.

The Beard and Bregatron like this.
  6. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

We shall see.
    The most desperate GM's move first. If you are in a position of strength you sit back and let the field clear out. The most impactful moves do not happen weeks or even days before the deadline. They do not involve players that everybody expects to be traded. The kind of trade that really makes a difference happens at the last hour or sometimes at the last minute before the deadline. That is when the GM with the biggest balls can pull off a trade for somebodies Cy Young candidate, or an MVP type hitter. I just do not think Click is that guy. In the end I do not think he gets a deal made that significantly moves the needle. At this point I am just hoping we do not give too much.

7. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I thought the same, but Baseball Trade Values has us winning the trade 23.8 to 15.9. Not that that really matters. They seem low on Urquidy.

8. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Click is who he is. He has already been defined. He will define the Astros trade deadline outcome for better or for worse.

raining threes likes this.
  9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Probably why there were mentions about Joey Wendell too (at least on this board).

10. HTown2017Champs

Not really a Choi fan at all. A lot of swing and miss in his bat, and I also remember he made some strong comments against us in 2020, not sure how that would sit in the locker room. Lowe also has a lot of potential and a high ceiling but has looked lost at the plate this year. Not to mention he had an embarrassing misplay earlier this week that turned a routine flyout into an inside the park home run. If we could get Glasnow, I would be happy. He underwent TJS about a year ago, but is already throwing off a mound. He wants to return in September or October, but that's not my main reason - This is with next year on mind. He has one more year of team control, and even if he doesn't pitch this year, we would have him next year.

11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Agree Choi is not good.

Lowe really isnt that great either.

It really seems like there is some postering going on

12. raining threes

I asked a simple question and didn't get an answer.

I never advocated trading the entire farm, only that nobody should be off limits, like Bregs, Tucker were.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I like Choi a little bit because he owns Cole. Not giving up a starter like Urquidy for him though.

Choi vs Cole

9 for 21, .429 AVG, .556 OBP, 1.556 OPS, 3 HR, 3 2B, 6 BB

15. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

@Nook had a solid breakdown of Happ pages ago, I’m not very familiar with him - anyone else have any thoughts around him?

also none of that Rays chatter moves the needle for me

16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

My thoughts are he is finally getting it. Just in time to.
    Happ is a solid hitter as of Late and should stick in LF
    He can play CF but its not his best by any means.
    A soild peace of the puzzle when it comes to bottom of the lineup hitting.

whiskeyred likes this.
  17. raining threes

In other words apparently no prospects are on the Bregs/Tucks level.

BTW, why do you seem so angry?

#3297 raining threes, Jul 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  18. Major

Major Member

What about on the Yordan, Pena, Framber, Javier, Garcia level? You know, non-superstar prospects that the front office knows are better and more valuable than fans do.

raining threes likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Baseball trade values is complete garbage.

20. HTown2017Champs

Astros get:
    OF Bryan Reynolds

Pirates get:
    RHP Luis Garcia
    OF/2B Pedro Leon
    OF Corey Julks
    1B/OF Taylor Jones

Astros get:
    C Sean Murphy
    LHP Sam Moll

Athletics get:
    RHP Bryan Abreu
    RHP Forrest Whitley
    OF Colin Barber

Astros get:
    1B Garrett Cooper

Marlins get:
    CF Jose Siri
    IF David Hensley
    RHP Josh James

Astros get:
    IF/OF Brendan Donovan

Cardinals get:
    RHP Jake Odorizzi

More or less the same things I proposed. Hopefully the value matches better. Reynolds is our impact bat, Cooper is another hitter who plays 1B. Murphy fortifies our catching, he and Maldy split reps, providing good defense, giving each other rest, and letting Lee develop. Lee and Meyers to AAA; Diaz (or Dubon) and Donovan (sorry if it's beating a dead horse, STL needs another starter, Donovan is blocked there, and I like him as an Aledmys successor) can both be backup OF. A bunch of AAAA guys are thrown in to sweeten the deals plus help clear out our 40-man roster logjam.

Altuve 2B
    Reynolds LF
    Alvarez DH
    Bregman 3B
    Tucker RF
    Pena SS
    Cooper 1B
    McCormick CF
    Maldonado/Murphy C (color coded by pitcher)

Bench: Gurriel, Diaz, Donovan, backup C
    Rotation: Verlander, Valdez, Javier, McCullers, Urquidy, Brown (latter two to the pen in October)
    Pen: Pressly, Stanek, Montero, Neris, Moll, Martinez, Maton

conquistador#11 likes this.