1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

2. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I think it was a good move by the Mariners. I expect them to continue and make moves heading into the deadline/off-season.

Next year, they will have a deep rotation and another big bat prolly. Not bad.

robbie380 and everyday eddie like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Very likely nothing, but Taylor Jones was pulled from the Astros AAA game.

BMoney and BigMaloe like this.
  4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Mariners feeling the pressure to end their playoff drought so they had extra motivation to overpay.

5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't see it as that bad a move for Seattle. They have Crawford locked up for 5 years at SS. So they dealt from a position that was blocked at the MLB level.

Now they start a 3 game Wild Card Series with Castillo and Gilbert. That's not a fun 2 games for the opponent.

6. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Especially in that SEA fall weather. Not fun at all.

7. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

They won’t be playing the WC Series at home.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

That's not determined yet. They are only 1.5 games out of the top wild cart spot.

HTown2017Champs and Rockets FTW like this.
  9. Landry's Tooth

I think best Soto case for us is Yankees get him for Volpe and still lose to us in the playoffs.

Then they overpay Judge knowing Soto is likely to test market for highest bidder...

10. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

If I had to live in any major Californian city, its San Diego 100 times of 100.

BigM, No Worries, Nook and 5 others like this.
  11. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

It's not an ideal move, but Kelenic was also a better prospect than anything in the Astros' system.

It's unwise, sure, but if Marte is more Kelenic than Rodriguez then it's a big win for Seattle, especially if Castillo gets them to an ALCS.

What's really dumb is giving up Marte and Arroyo, I'm sure one of these guys could play 3rd or 2nd over whoever they have now (especially strikeout king Suarez). Very unwise, Seattle only comes out looking smart if they win a WS in the next two years or both Marte and Arroyo bust in Cincy.

#3211 Tuckmose, Jul 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

The only California city I would live in. And I grew up in the Bay Area and still have family there and have spent plenty of time in LA.

raining threes likes this.
  13. awc713

awc713 Member

14. Yordan The Great

Quick, what is Luis Castillo's career era?

15. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

i don't get it. he plays in cincy. his ballpark-adjusted era is plus plus. he's been great for awhile, and dominant this year. eye test consistent with stats, etc. look it's a steep price, but we shouldn't lie to ourselves and pretend that he's not a stud.

The Beard likes this.
  16. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Overpay by Mariners. Imagine if the Astros traded a young Correa or Springer just to rush into the playoffs? If one or two of these prospects hit they would have had something special with Rodriguez and then also added stars via FA. No need to rush this year with the Astros, Yankees, and others in their path.

The Beard and Htown Legend like this.
  17. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We traded prospects for ace pitchers three different times in the last 5 years.

18. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

But we never traded Tucker, Alvarez, Martes, or Whitley for those guys. Half of those guys ended up busting anyways, and we still got way more by not including any of those four in trades.

The best prospect we moved was Joe Musgrove for Gerrit Cole. Even with him turning into a fine pitcher himself nobody would argue the Pirates won that trade.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Hard to believe the playoff drought didn't play a huge role in this.

If they were willing to deal that much talent,I would have been more focused on getting a quality starter and a bat instead of one fairly high end starter. I don't think it's as absurd as others, but I do think they could have improved their team more than they did getting just Castillo.

The team still has roster depth issues, but it does give them a better chance of an October run.

prospecthugger and Htown Legend like this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

According to baseball trade values these 3 kids would be almost worth Yordan and worth more than Devers.

They also have Jake Cronenworth at 55 million in value, Taylor Ward at 58.4 million, Daulton Varsho at 76.6 million, Bryan Reynolds at 77.1 million and Will Smith at 92.4 million. They have far too many values that make little sense.