1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garuba is looking like a miss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayhow92, Dec 27, 2021.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

KPJ, Tate, Tari, Bari, Garuba would be a very good defensive lineup...

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I know, it almost makes me not want to pay $54.20 a share to take Twiter private after reading low quality tweets like that.

Reeko likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It’s small. But that’s 12 games at 20 min a game. No large determinations gathered from that and a lot of it being during blowouts but not all of it.

I’m hoping he does great and has a few years now of being mostly injury free.

D-rock likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

True, but we have far too many young guys and far too few minutes, some are going to be working in the Gleague....my guesses are:

Garuba
    Ty Ty

As the primary 2.....

DD

Believe It! likes this.
  5. SamFisher

Not really, using my official grading site, basketball reference, 13 of his appearances were < 10 min, he logged > 20 min a game exactly twice - the consecutive end of season tankfests against Sacramento (and in both of which he was severely outplayed by Bruno off the bench).

If you're using advanced metrics to say "well actually Usman Garuba was in fact good actually last year" you're just doing it wrong, because they don't really say that.

I don't care that people are hoping that Garuba still manages to hit after a crappy rookie season, it could happen even if unlikely; but just pretending that he was somehow good either observationally or statistically is just wrong - he wasn't.

Reeko likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree he was bad last year, but I haven't lost hope that he will become a useful player for the Rockets.

D-rock, slothy420, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  7. fattz

fattz Member

This is so true. The best we can hope for is to retain 2 from each class. Hopefully we can in time trade them for future FRPs.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Fortunately and unfortunately, Garuba’s European success is far more impressive than Dmo or Vspan. At 18 he was the youngest starter of all time on arguably the best non-NBA team in the world unseating Luka Doncic for that record. He broke through all the youth ranks early too.

Defensively an in-shape Garuba is clearly an elite defender and if he earns minutes in 60+ NBA games it will be statistically undeniable, I’d bet money on it right now even. However if he’s earned minutes that means he’s in shape and is not a huge net negative on offense.

DMo was a good enough nba bench player until his back became a problem and then the way he behaved regarding his contract would make any employer think twice. VSpan was just not that good even after years dominating in Europe. There are lots of players who dominate in Europe and those from Europe who succeed in the NBA don’t necessarily have to have dominated in Europe when they’re young. It’s a very old school mentality there, young talent gets benched by old school coaches regularly for silly reasons.

Garuba might get into shape and maybe even polished his 3pt shot. However, that he got out of shape easily and is rushing to just get into basic NBA shape is a big red flag. He was in good shape to end last season and he had been sitting and rehabbing a lot. I can’t understand why he didn’t hit the gym as soon as the season ended.

The one way I can see this being ok is if he spent 2 months exclusively on his 3pt shot and didn’t go full throttle at the gym because he has back to back to back commitments (summer league, international, then straight into training camp). I really hope that’s it. I hope he isn’t just blaming bad luck for the shape he’s in. I want the dude to be excellent, his potential is to be a key championship piece IN THEORY. Sigh.

D-rock, Believe It! and AlperenSengun like this.
  9. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

True, but that should breed competition in camp and practices so we know whomever is playing in the rotation has earned it. Can only make them and this team better. Do you think Alpi will keep himself out of foul troubles this year? If he doesn’t that would open up minutes for the backup 5.

Yes definitely TyTy, he could use that time to polish up his PG skills. Garuba may go down for a little while to get in shape if he is not by the time camp ends. Either way it won’t hurt him.

10. SamFisher

Not unless you think we're talking soccer - which you actually might?

Mathloom likes this.
  11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I know 0 about Usman Garuba, so this is an honest question. Is it possible that playing for such a good team gave him a reduced and comfortable role?

Mathloom likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Garuda was the Indonesian God of Eagles.

@Jontro

Jontro likes this.
  13. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Definitely see those 2 in the G at least to start the season. Wouldn't be suprised if they are here for the 2nd half after some trades are made. Probably EG and KMJ.

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

We have vastly different opinions about European basketball. Those opinions underpin this discussion so it would go nowhere. I understand your opinion and that you value current production more than most people. I’m more into picking winners that don’t look like winners yet. It just won’t come to a deeper conclusion I think.

Why don’t we just skip these convos till a new one comes up?

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yes, so the guys who should be retiring ate up all the offense which is why he is so raw on that end. He anchored the defense, did the dirty work and passed the ball on time to the right person. I’m not an expert on European basketball, I just dug into Real Madrid when we drafted Garuba.

aaquaa likes this.
  16. SamFisher

It isn't just difference of opinion but just straight up crazy Facebook Uncle single spaced bullshit. It's antivax, Trump won, Apollo 11 was a soundstage level trash.

Case in point:

A claim proffered with literally - no - evidence other than that he was "the youngest starter of all time on the second best team in the world"

First off that claim is at least 50% full of ****. Doncic played on Real Madrid at age 16, before Garuba, as did 2 other players, and that's not even close to Ricky Rubio's league record at age 14.

Doncic was a starter, and more importantly playing regular starter minutes by age 17, something Garuba wasn't good enough for.

In fact, he played over 3000 minutes at Real Madrid (mostly with the same NBA rejects like Anthony Randolph and Rudy Fernandez that Garuba was backing up) and was a Euroleague and ACB MVP by the time he left at age 19. Literally not even in the same universe as Garubas middling performance. Good for Usman Garuba that he was 2 whole moths younger on that magical night when he played 13 whole minutes and got the start against Joventut (thanks wikipedia) but lol, ok great.

Also its cute to call Real Madrid the 2nd best team in the rest of the world like it's 15 years ago, :p. The G league is now clearly the second best league and has taken all of the eurostash bases - they belong to us.

But anyway **** all that - let's get to the CARNE of your claim, which I'll repeat for your benefit

Garuba’s European success is far more impressive than Dmo or Vspan.
    While I'm a known connoisseur of the elite talents of barnyard superstar Vasillis Spanoulis, lets break this down:

When he entered the NBA, Spanoulis had:

Played over 4000 minutes at the senior team level (2x as much as Garuba)

Scored > 1500 points in ~130 games
    (Garuba, 500 points in 100 games)

Finished in the top 10 in domestic/euroleague in usage 2x (Garuba 0 )​

Played in the 04 Olympics (did nothing) but more importantly eliminated Team USA at the 2006 World Championships exhibition all star tourney in Japan, when he scored 22 points and the US kept fouling him on 3s even though he struggled to hit the broadside ofa barn, despite playing in a barnyard league.

Garuba meanwhile put up 4 points in 4 games at last Olympics - good stuff!
    Despite all of this your "difference of opinion" is that Garubas **** resume is "far more impressive"

Ok.

Let me direct you to the words of a world renowned expert on pumping up scrub players like Jalen Duren literally 2 weeks ago:

Lol, whatever dude. Don't read my posts if you don't want.

Milos likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Listen man, don't take it so personally. You antics are great entertainment and love me or hate me, I appreciate your posts. That's genuine. I don't feel any reason to duke it out.

However, it is important to point out for the public that you are flat out making things up:

I'm sure you'll understand why I have even less interest in this debate with you now. Cheers.

aaquaa and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

TaBari are going to take over the World

all AROUNDTHEWORLD

D-rock and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Other than the injuries, is there any reason to say Garuba is not in-shape? Is it a commentary on off-season vs. "game-shape"? He had so many injuries in one season, hard to imagine he had the capacity to hit the gym often. But he doesn't look like Zion or anything.

Going off his international stats and some fanboi projection, even at backup 5 getting around 15-20 minutes a game I would expect he approaches a double-double. I don't think you have to feed him the ball but he's going to get those high-percentage looks around the rim and even some open 3s. He's a great rebounder and defender... I'd be super impressed if he was putting up like 8pt, 8reb, 2ast, 2 stocks and shooting 33% from 3.

clos4life likes this.
  20. SamFisher

Yeah no **** this is why i said:

Good for Usman Garuba that he was 2 whole moths younger on that magical night when he played 13 whole minutes and got the start against Joventut (thanks wikipedia) but lol, ok great.
    But anyway thanks for going back to wikipedia and the source (the RM website) again and then waving it around like you found something brand new and absolutely point-proving...

... And yes, i do absolutely understand why your irked at engaging any further than reposting that again. You painted yourself into a corner with Malick Badiane 2.0 hype.

It happens.

#740 SamFisher, Jul 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2022