1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking News: Vince McMahon retiring from WWE

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaBeard, Jul 22, 2022.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Cancel culture strikes again.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With him, half suspect the whole thing is a stunt and he will make an appearance in the next Wrestlemania as a heel.

4. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Same here. Didn't he fake his own death a decade ago?

EDIT: Apparently there's a scandal going on. WWE fans are usually forgiving of stuff though.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Time for the wrestlers to push for that union.

6. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Would unionization work? I feel like WWE as a brand is more the sum of its parts...save maybe John Cena

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Who knows. They've been trying.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

OH MY GOD!!!

THAT GUY LOOKS HORRIBLE

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

rip vince.

was a true legend in toronto

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  10. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

"hold on JR! its the pendleton detectives music! they werent supposed to be here!"

I hear you want to unionize! Well I oppose it
    (the crowd of former and current union factory workers boo)

well, I don't like it. But I dont want to settle it here on Monday night RAW or in a courthouse...let's settle unionization...on PAY PER VIEW! July 6th at the Prudential Center in Newark!

(crowd goes nuts even though they have to pay more money to watch it)

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I watched WWE as a kid. After I grew up and realized how fake that sport was I quit watching it.

ROCKSS likes this.
  12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Same. I watched Raw every week in elementary school in the early 90s. It was not the same after finding out it’s scripted. IMO WWE peaked around 2000.

ROCKSS and deb4rockets like this.
  13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

As an adult, I found a group of friends who were still into it so I started watching again for a bit. But it got tiresome quickly. Even suspending disbelief of it being "fake" and watching it as a male soap opera and appreciating the skill involved, it was just the same BS over and over again. The story lines were lame and/or repetitive and you could never allow a legit end to a match.

It seemed to me like real wrestling fans were frustrated by it all too but they were too invested and pro wrestling and WWE in particular was too much of their identity for them to simply walk away. I think they're probably happy that Vince has finally stepped down and HHH is taking over. It seems like they've wanted that for awhile and felt like Vince was preventing the company from moving forward.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

As a kid, I always knew it was scripted but that never bothered me. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was scripted too but I enjoyed it. I was super into wrestling until about WrestleMania 17, which was in Houston and which I went to, and then I just gave up on it. Then, strangely, I got into it again in 2016 and was a fan for maybe 15-18 months before I tired of it again.

That said, I still listen to wrestling podcasts. These podcasts cover the old stuff, from the 80s-00s. It's fun to listen to; being a wrestler, especially back then, was a wild life: many people believed you were your character so you had to be that way whenever you were in the public. Plus, wrestlers were very insecure and were always backstabbing each other to get booked better. It's very interesting drama, IMO.

Anyway, McMahon's ouster was a long time coming... but I'm still surprised it actually happened. I just thought he'd be screaming over the headset until he fell over and died.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Does his daughter still have those massive fake jugs? I saw a pic recently and she looked flat again.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I always knew it was fake but still watched it as a kid in the attitude Era as well. When I look back at promos from The Rock, Stone Cold, DX, NWO, etc they are still fairly entertaining today. Those people were just naturally entertaining.

I'm not sure if you can get that same level of entertainment, for pro wrestling, with a PG rating and fully scripted promos.

I did see that they were going back to TV14 now so we'll see if they get a bunch of fans from that.

I also just think there's more variety of content to watch now...I'm not sure there's anything they can do to get the kind of audience they were getting back in the attitude era.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Wrestling was awesome during the 80's and 90's, but once WWF bought WCW and the Monday night wars were over, I was done.

I've known it was scripted since I was a kid. Didn't make it any less entertaining to me.

You know Breaking Bad was scripted, right? It was still entertaining as hell. Why don't people call Breaking Bad "fake" too?

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Breaking Bad not documentary?

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I still watch wrestling. It's not as enjoyable as it was when I was growing up during the Attitude Era, but I still enjoy watching it from time to time. I don't do it religiously but I do like catching some of the PPVs. It does give me something to watch during the offseason.