1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Screaming Fist

Isn't he owed like $12M next season or something?

2. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Yeah people are about 60% water and I am about to be WAF (wet as f***) if we make a huge splash in the trade market :)

3. Landry's Tooth

The way its structured he's going to the market for more money... would take a tommy john level injury and even then it's a few million...

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd rate that higher than B+. The Astros pitching staff may be the best regular season pitching staff without LMJ, but is built for the postseason. Best group of 3 Starters if LMJ is healthy. Javier/Garcia/Urquidy are by far the best group starters turned dominant middle relievers in the postseason. Astros pen is already arguably the deepest dominant pen without the starters added to it.

I'm thinking Maton would need to be lights out the rest of the season to make the postseason. If Astros don't add a pitcher, I'd guess the Astros keep Abreu and Brown if 12 pitchers and add Martinez if 13.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Isn't he 5'0" tall and 5'0" wide? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Seriously though. No way the Blue Jays trade the best hitting catcher in MLB in favor of prospects during a playoff run.

That would be like the Astros trading away JV to open a spot for Brown

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I cant help but think Baltimore is a good trade partner.

They have a surplus of quality OF and lack quality SP.

An Odorizzi for Mancini or Santander swap makes a lot of sense to me for both clubs.

7. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

This is coming down to the deadline. Doubt we'll make a deal before then. (roast me if I am wrong)

8. Landry's Tooth

Let's not go too crazy here...

Kirk is a good hitter but not a good catcher.

They've used him at catcher only half the time. Moreno is their catcher of the future (AAA) and he's ready now.

If Kirk was their full time catcher it might be different. They have 4 catchers on their 40 man.

Ultimately he's their future DH most likely.

What's harder to get? #3 starter under club control cheap or a dh who can hit?

His .884 OPS is in line with Josh Bell right now.

The Blue Jays have 4 starters right now. They are shopping for #5.

Maybe it takes more, but it can't be much more given the premium for pitching.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

you would also think Elias being at the helm would help…but the two haven’t made a trade since he was hired. Their playoff push hurts a little bit, but I agree we line up well on paper.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yeah that’s way to big a haul for Murphy. They may well get him, but for less

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

One thing about potentially trading Urquidy is that it reduces the number of guys they’ll be losing to free agency after 2025. It’s been pretty amazing how Houston has maintained a steady stream of homegrown core pieces. Since 2017, here is the list of players who appeared in at least 6 seasons for the Astros (or are on track to do so) and when they reached or are expected to reach free agency:

2018: Marwin, Keuchel
    2019: Marisnick, McHugh
    2020: Springer, Peacock
    2021: Correa
    2022: Yuli
    2023: Maldonado
    2024: Altuve, Bregman
    2025: Pressly, Framber, Urquidy, Tucker, Javier
    2026: McCullers, Abreu, Garcia, McCormick
    2027+: Yordan, Meyers, Pena

No Worries, BigMaloe and Htown Legend like this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Man I hope you are right.

13. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Odorizzi to me seems like a chip you unload to perhaps add something to your 26th ranked farm system. This may not be an active trade line for the Astros given they simply don't have the farm prestige to significantly upgrade that way and the starters they would offer in trade probably aren't going to quite land you a difference maker. I'm guessing if the Astros are a player for any of the bigger names on the trade market, the weakness of their farm system has them on hold waiting for sellers to check the better-stocked farm systems of other deadline buyers and keeping the Astros as a backup plan.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think the division thing is overblown concerning the A’s since they won’t be in a position to compete for 5 years or more.

Wulaw Horn and HTown2017Champs like this.
  15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Easy to say you'll be on the losing side of that thought. The Astros make a trade before the deadline every year they are in the race.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

They would be much more likely to trade Moreno

17. HTown2017Champs

IMO, I think Reynolds>Murphy>Mullins in terms of value.
    Reynolds has played CF for the past few years, but he really doesn't belong there. When PIT traded away Starling Marte they needed someone to play center, and putting Reynolds there was simply them making the best with whatever they had because the alternatives would have been even worse. That said, he was above average last year and was even a Gold Glove finalist, but this year, he has taken a step back. Very good bat, and underrated speed, but he is tailor-made to play a corner. If we trade for him, I would play him in left with McCormick in center, unless Brantley does indeed come back. If we make a big splash, Reynolds is my dream acquisition. Love his style of play and he is low-key one of my favorite non-Astros to watch and follow.

Mullins I was high on after last year, but looking at the numbers, it is very likely that 2021 was a fluke. Not only is his power down (and likely not coming back), but so are his overall hitting stats. Speed and defense is his specialty, but is he an upgrade over what we already have? Not to me, and especially not for what he'd likely cost (not to mention BAL is in the wild card race and probably sees him as a core piece of their future).

Murphy is a solid bat and excellent defender at catcher. As stated, OAK is not primed to contend for another 2-3 years (at minimum), and catching is a HUGE strength in their minor league system, so he can probably be had at the right cost. What is that cost? I don't think Garcia/Urquidy is really an overpay, but if they'll take something like Whitley + Perez + Barber I would pull the trigger, and save ammo for Reynolds. This is a good year for us, and the competition will only get better at the deadline, so do not be afraid to pull out the stops to help the team.

Nook likes this.
  18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree that they are a good match but this scenario makes no sense

Only 2 reasons they trade:

1) They feel like they have a chance at a playoff spot - then they can't trade Mancini or Santander.

2) They feel they are out of it and need to get a player/players who can possibly help in the future in exchange for a likely FA- then they have no use for Odorizzi

19. CinematicFusion

Salary dump with odorizzi, pick up some
    Prospects, maybe a deliver. Odorizzi has 6.5 million coming his way next year.

20. CinematicFusion