1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much will KPjr make per year on the next deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Feb 23, 2022.

?

How much will KPjr make per year on the next deal?

1. 5-6

2. 7-8

3. 9-10

4. 11-13

5. 14-17

6. 18-22

7. 23-26

8. I don't care as long as it's not us footing the bill

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You say "given time" that Green could develop those skills and I agree... he just didn't have them last year and probably doesn't have them now.

As of right now, KPJ is the most talented player on the team.

Green is probably the best scorer, Smith is likely the best defender, Sengun is absolutely the best passer.... but the most talented overall is KPJ, at least for now.

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of folks overlook that he was putting us in position to win games that we didn't want to or couldn't close out.(tanking, not enough horses, and no frontline) Those weren't empty stats. We don't need him to be a pure PG. That's not what's ultimately being asked of him. Again, much of the offense will eventually run through Alperen. KPjr is equipped to compliment that beautifully. He's the BEST catch and shoot guy in the league. He's cut his turnovers down big time. He was the best defensive player on our team last year. It boggles my mind that so many good basketball minds propose he come off the bench as the sixth man. The kid has bonafide star potential that he's flashed on numerous occasions in spite of all the challenges.(not just flashed, displayed over a period of time) I understand having concerns about his psychological make up, but don't let it blind you to the reality. There has been significant improvement on and off the court.
    Kevin is the best player on this team right now.

#382 Plowman, Jul 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    DaDakota, Verbal Christ and maj21 like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Are you equally pessimistic about Green repeating "his last 10 games"? So do we ignore the poor start of one player while only paying attention to the poor start of another? Is that how that works?

jiggyfly and maj21 like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. maj21

maj21 Member

That’s what you don’t understand man.. it doesn’t apply to Jalen bc everyone loves him, while it applies to KPJ bc everyone hates him.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

20-21 3.5 TO/G
    21-22 3.1 TO/G
    April 2022 3.2 TO/G

He did have a few good games in February/March last year regarding TOs, but generally wasn't looking for his shot in those games.

NBA salary rules are convoluted. $15M for a team that will be over cap for foreseeable future is very different than $15M for a team likely to have enough cap space to sign a max contract in 2023 and 2024.

Hemingway likes this.
  8. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I'm sure this debate could go on a long long time. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Imagine they'll both be a lot better this yr.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It probably will continue for some time. For me, I'm excited for the season to see how much progress the young guys have made

Believe It! likes this.
  10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

You are accusing me of a bias I didn't express. I don't think 10 games at the end of a season is a fair way to evaluate anyone. I don't see you actually addressing my argument, though.

I will say, KPJ last year played his third season. Green was a rookie. There's more statistical data on KPJ to base a rational opinion on. When his overall numbers stayed roughly the same for two seasons in Houston, I have a hard time looking at 10 tanking games at the end and saying that's established a new baseline.

I know it's the offseason and we have good young players, but you should ease up on the hopium.

11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

You don't think Tari will fill the hole at the 3?

12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

My worries about him have nothing to do with his skills. It's between the ears. It's his past. But it is the past. I hope it stays there.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would love for that to be the case, still not convinced Silas will play him

Believe It! likes this.
  14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Yeah may be the case for a bit, but imagine Tari's play will force that change pretty quick.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Rockets twitter and ig both retweeted this.

Extension is a wrap.

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Ill gladly pay 16ish mil a year as long as we have an out after 2 years.

17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Things to keep him focused on basketball and not outside distractions? Things to help him improve his approach to the game and life? Things like maybe some additional practices?

D-rock likes this.
  18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Raw numbers stayed roughly the same but advanced numbers took a leap- due to defense. Matches eye test, kpj defense was god awful first year in Houston, patented horrible body language and slow jog back when he thinks he got fouled, while allowing a fast break for other team. This got a lot better last year which improved his defense and overall impact on winning. His efficiency on offense stayed about the same, but big jump in 3%, with dip in finishing at the rim, i think that was due to poor spacing and can improve this year.

19. i3artow i3aller

Improved overall impact on winning? You are aware of our record the past two years?

Corrosion and YOLO like this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Agree that KPJ improved on defense a lot. I think his overall efficiency was basically the same despite being a better 3 point shooter because he played PG more. It is a lot easier finishing at the rim when a player is finishing a play than having to make the play himself.

I see KPJ's biggest problems to be turnovers and inefficient scoring. Turnovers should go down and efficiency should go up if he's no longer asked to be the primary playmaker. Maybe he can do it from PG this year with Sengun taking more of the playmaking, but so far, KPJ has stretches when he can be great, but overall has trouble doing everything well all at once.