1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much will KPjr make per year on the next deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Feb 23, 2022.

?

How much will KPjr make per year on the next deal?

1. 5-6

2. 7-8

3. 9-10

4. 11-13

5. 14-17

6. 18-22

7. 23-26

8. I don't care as long as it's not us footing the bill

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We ain’t trading Green. My comments were not about anything like that. My team-building approach considers that I might trade luxury duplicity to better balance the team out.

You might eventually trade away KPj, because (while multiple playmakers is nice) luxuries have Diminishing returns v fixing weaknesses on offense (or defense) you might find you have, later. That’s when you’d trade away the duplicity of KPj, esp is Sengun grows into a legitimately-playable playmaker with Green.

Believe It! likes this.
  2. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I was completely off the Kevin Porter Junior bandwagon the first half of the season, especially when he left the building in the middle of a game!!

I wanted him to be cut right then and there!

However, He came right back and hit a buzzer beater and seemed to get much more comfortable in the offense running the one…

His last 10 games- He was averaging somewhere in the neighborhood of 24 -8 - 8 and he was shooting a Good percentage. Apparently he was one of the best catch and shoot players in the NBA for the entire year!

I think the smart play here is to give him a five-year $60 million extension…

I think giving him 12 a year is a gamble, but I think it’s a good gamble. Because if he plays the entire year like he did the last 10 games - he’s going to want a lot more than 12 million a year!!

I think locking him up On a decent five-year contract is the best move

I think looking back a year from now he will have a positive contract and we will be happy that we went ahead and took the gamble

jcmoon and DaDakota like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You don't trade away 2 way star players that can play 3 positions, it would create a bigger hole than you could hope to fill. Those are the players you seek to build around.

Personally I think the current young core has just about everything you'd want as is. The only real "hole" is at SF and since they seem hell bent on sticking with Tate or Gordon there... well, we'll just have to hope Tate learns how to shoot at an acceptable level.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

12 mil a year isn't a "gamble" it would be an insult. He could legitimately get twice that next year in the open market.

4 years 60 mill is closer to it, with the final year being a team option

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

the same folks trying to push this silly made up narrative every single day posting that KPJ is some star and the league looks at him in the same light are straight delusional. It doesn't make it true if you post over and over and over every day. The desperation for an actual star is so apparent that some of you will go through all these mental hoops to convince yourself mediocre players are actual stars. history repeats itself time and time again on CF's. This is no different

Trackwell, pippendagimp and jcmoon like this.
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

If we were actually trying to win next season we have the talent to win near 40 games!

lol

YOLO likes this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh, no, I am confident that if the Rocket's don't extend him that he will have a huge year and hit RFA, and someone will offer him 20m and the Rox will be forced to match......and I sir will own that sig for one glorious month!

:)

DD

Trackwell and King1 like this.
  8. maj21

maj21 Member

It’s funny how some morons here think the KPJ hype is ridiculous, but they’re the same ones who think TyTy is the future lol. The guy who couldn’t do much in SL, while the other guy has flashed star potential many times against top tier NBA defenders. It’s just funny to me at this point

9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think that tweet understands that the people suggesting that KPJ become a 6th Man off the bench are proposing that the Rockets upgrade at his position. I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone suggest he should come off the bench as a sub for Nix.

Deckard likes this.
  10. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

We disagree on how talented Green is. I have no doubt if given the time KPJ was given, JG could be every bit the combo guard that KPJ is.

KPJ is skilled for sure, but he's not the most talented player on this team.

IMO

Regardless, he should and will get a nice extension.

Can't wait for the season to start.

11. maj21

maj21 Member

I respectfully disagree with that, but I like that it’s what you actually believe and not you just being a KPJ hater. I also can’t wait for the start of the season as well! Only thing I’ll say is that KPJ has only played 137 games in his career! That’s less than 2 seasons and also played a new position

Believe It! likes this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

Any of your employees throw food and other objects at your other employees? :D:p:D

p.s. I get that you're commenting on the nuances of employees liking other guys.

And true not everyone has to like everyone, but I think the coaches/GM in charge sometimes underestimate the young guys' survival instinct to fight for their first big contract and meaningful minutes. We see this not just with kpj but other 2-3 yrs guys like KJ.

Friendships is nice and all, but only goes so far. Financial security and playing time trumps just about everything. Some players are just more mature about it than others.

This isn't you saying this, but pointing it out
    last year things like, KPJ passing to Jalen is not just 'unselfish', he knows it is in his financial interest to do so. People see this in corporate world too, where employees trying to get into the clique who are most favored by the org.

#372 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  13. DaDakota

Sounds like a very smart player.

DD

14. TimDuncanDonaut

That's just it through. If other team feels he's worth more let them offer it next year. I've no issues with Rockets paying fair market value if it's out there. There's little need to pre overpay.

#374 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    Deckard likes this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

Behaviors can come out of self preservation when team work is a better option. May not be from altruism.

On playing the next year, I also like to see if KPJ can stay healthy for the whole year. That will ease some doubts from his first two seasons with the Rockets.

16. DaDakota

Scoot and Bucket - 3 & 4 BLOWING UP in an arena near you!

DD

Plowman likes this.
  17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

People counting on KPJ to repeat his "last 10 games" stats over a full season seem to be attaching a lot of meaning, and hope, to end-of-season games where the Rockets were actively tanking and the opponents often were checked out, as well. It's like a baseball team where a guy has a good September after a mediocre season and people say he "figured it out".

Maybe. But probably not.

Corrosion and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

And I sound like a broken record. Since it was tankathon lot of us paid attention to the W-L. The last 10 games, we had the second easiest schedule. Those last games several teams including the Blazers and Kings (who were out of play in) were not trying. Blazers was famous for putting in the no-name lineups. The last 7 games where KPJ played well, Rockets lost them all. Good for getting Jabari, so am not complaining, but not exactly winning basketball.

Corrosion likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That’s how I feel. His history is a real weight on his value. Let’s see if he can go through an entire season playing the way we’ve seen him play in stretches, and without having any issues off the court. If he does that, he’s worth a different conversation, in my opinion. He also might be worth a better contract.

Right now, I wouldn’t be adverse to the idea of trading KPJ at the deadline, but perhaps he can change my mind. I’d like to see how he’d react to a 6th man role for a stretch of games at some point if Silas decides to try Nix or Washington at the one and Tari at the 3, along with Sengun, Smith and Green. I’d be very interested in seeing how that works sometime in the middle of the 1st half of the season (or whenever Silas has the urge!). Not only would that be a real test of KPJ’s maturity, he could end up being an explosive 6th man on offense, and not bad at all at the other end.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  20. DaDakota

TyTy will be ByBy in the Gleague all year long.

DD