1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Buck Turgidson

He's infinitely better than Gallo. But I disagree on your 2nd point, I hope their whole team gets Castillosis.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There, I fixed my spacing, I hope you are proud of yourself.

Nook likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Mucho :)

Nook likes this.
  4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

They don't know what they are talking about.

Nook and prospecthugger like this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would say the return NY gave up for Benintendi is the Astros equivalent of Santos, McDermott, and Dubin. Both Contreras and Bell would likely cost significantly more.

#2725 Snake Diggit, Jul 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Never heard of any of those guys except vaguely aware of the name Dubin. That’s how I like my trade returns.

arif1127 likes this.
  7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And how to get that guy out without running up pitch counts.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So can Canada annex Houstron for a month...say in October?

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  10. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

That sucks, was hoping Click would make a run at Benintendi. I do think Click is looking for an outfielder and/or 1B with team control, as opposed to a rental.

11. Screaming Fist

What do they do with Odo? Surely they don’t want to pay him next season. Wonder if he gets attached to a deal to get him out of Houston.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

If the Astros fulfill their quest to trade one of their starting pitchers, they will not be getting prospects in return. No, the Astros would justify the move to its clubhouse by acquiring major-league help, according to sources with knowledge of the team’s thinking. Ideally, that player would be a catcher or center fielder under club control beyond this season.

The Astros are willing to trade a starter because they already are employing a six-man rotation, and right-hander Lance McCullers Jr. will become a seventh option if he returns, as expected, from a forearm strain in August. Such depth can be fleeting. But as things stand, the best way for the Astros to make their roster more functional would be to move a starter for a position player who would fill an existing need.

Who might that player be? Good question. The trade market is not deep in catchers or center fielders. The obvious potential targets — Orioles center fielder Cedric Mullins, Pirates center fielder Bryan Reynolds, Athletics catcher Sean Murphy — do not play for teams hellbent on making the playoffs. So, the motivation for those clubs to meet the Astros’ price for an established starter would not be especially strong.

The Orioles are a possible exception.

As a surprise wild-card contender, would they move three additional years of club control with Mullins for three of right-hander José Urquidy if the Astros also were willing to include center fielder Jose Siri and prospects in a larger deal? A number of teams are exploring trades for Siri, sources said. The Phillies, Marlins and Brewers are among those looking for center-field help.

Jake Odorizzi, 32, is probably the pitcher the Astros consider most expendable, but his value is not especially high (he also developed a blister on his right middle finger Tuesday night that is not expected to be a problem for him going forward).

Urquidy, 27, would be in greater demand. He had Tommy John surgery in 2017 and missed a combined 2 1/2 months with shoulder trouble last season. His stuff is not at the level of Cristian Javier’s or Luis Garcia’s. But he has a career 3.69 ERA and experience in the past three postseasons, including his five scoreless innings as the Astros’ starter in Game 4 of the 2019 World Series.

For the Pirates to trade Reynolds or the Athletics to move Murphy, they almost certainly would require a package of younger players. They could land those players by acquiring a pitcher from the Astros and then flipping him to another club. More likely, the burden would fall on the Astros to find a third team. The prospects they acquired for their starter then could be used as part or all of a package for Reynolds or Murphy.

Such deals are difficult to pull off. Perhaps a simpler path exists for the Astros to land a player not currently known to be available. Only one thing seems certain: If the Astros trade a starting pitcher, it will be for talent that will help them in the present, not the future.

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

15. raining threes

Ok

chievous minniefield likes this.
  16. awc713

awc713 Member

Odo to the Cards makes too much sense to not happen.

Wulaw Horn and raining threes like this.
  17. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

This is a very well written post, JR.

Htown Legend likes this.
  18. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Lol, while I'm usually all for getting the paywall material; this entire article was available sans paywall: https://theathletic.com/3456688/2022/07/28/astros-padres-trade-deadline-starters/

Credit to Ken Rosenthal and the Athletic.

I am shocked to find there's a lot of action on Siri. I'll eat some humble pie on that because I've refused to believe anyone would give up more than a foam finger and a bag of peanuts for a guy with a wRC+ of 55. no matter how good his defense is. I am wrong.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Siri’s defense has been good enough that he should have a lot of value to the right team. Despite a 32.7% k rate he has been worth 1.2 fwar over 196 pa. I actually see his value as nearly that of Myles Straw, who had everyday value despite not hitting for much power because he was an excellent defensive player with baserunning ability who didn’t k much. Siri is similar except you trade off strikeouts but get power. When a player is an excellent up the middle defender, their floor is so much higher.

I do think a deadline approach of offering Urquidy, Odorizzi, and Siri (along with whatever 3rd tier prospects are required) to address their needs is a very good strategy. Here’s hoping they find the right partners.

#2739 Snake Diggit, Jul 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  20. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Strongly disagree. Benintendi does two things:
    1) completely pushes Gallo out of playing time. Addition by subtraction.
    2) gives them another desperately needed small ball guy. singles hitters become way more dangerous when you got mashers behind them. It also extends innings so you can get to mashers again.

This is a very good pickup for the Yankees.