1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much will KPjr make per year on the next deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Feb 23, 2022.

?

How much will KPjr make per year on the next deal?

1. 5-6

2. 7-8

3. 9-10

4. 11-13

5. 14-17

6. 18-22

7. 23-26

8. I don't care as long as it's not us footing the bill

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Only a casual would think they have the same role. KPJ is a combo guard, Green is a SG.

Green doesn't have the PG skills to do what KPJ does, and KPJ is better having a Jalen Green next to him.

In time, Green may develop passable PG skills, at that point they may have a similar role.... but that wouldn't be a bad thing. It would mean they could share the responsibility, making it easier to both.

maj21 likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I don't agree, I believe duplication of facilitators doing the same thing as they
    drive from the 3-pt line is just fine. In fact I believe that's what the league is
    becoming.

Dueling banjos taking the screen and going or just picking a side
    of their defender and going.....drive and kick. Main thing or "next best thing"
    is starting with one banjo on one side of the court occupying the top lock down
    defender (ex: Thybulle).....passing to the other Banjo on the other side of the court
    going vs the lesser defender (ex: Danny Green).

Always attacking the mismatch.

What I don't like is dueling banjos doing the same thing out of the
    post.....the most inefficient shot in the game. No Go with both
    Sengun and Banchero in my opinion. This is why I was good
    with Green-Ivey......dueling banjos attacking from the 3-pt line.

Porter just needs to learn to be more like Green (dribble less)
    and less like Harden (dribble too much).

Steph Curry and Poole do much the same....just won a championship.
    Marcus Smart and Derrick White do much the same....got to the finals.

#322 ApacheWarrior, Jul 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  3. maj21

maj21 Member

There’s also something called staggering their minutes!

#323 maj21, Jul 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You're right, he is closer to Miles Bridges instead.

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Now I think there can be overkill as well.

I believe Jaylen Brown and Tatum also are duplication.

Horford / Tatum / J Brown / D White / Smart was a........... -7.4 in the playoffs
    Horford / G Williams / J Brown / D White / Smart was a.... +3.5 in the playoffs

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smartma01/lineups/2022/

Yes we can stagger the minutes. I project Porter/Green/Christopher
    platooning. There is a matter of Eric Gordon and Mathews needing
    minutes as well. I see Nix and TyTy as odd men out....even if EG sits.

6. maj21

maj21 Member

My bad with the typos, I fixed it.. I do agree and people haven’t brought it up. TyTy and Nix could both be out the rotation. I can see that for sure

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

It blows my mind people talking about redundancy of skills with KPJ and Jalen Green in the year of our Lord 2022. I guess I’m too old and remember too much. After “what if OKC didn’t break up Harden and Westbrook”, after LeBron and Wade, after the splash brothers. After so many franchises over decades saying “where is the help, where is the extra piece?”

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's just blind, unintelligent hatred.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes sir.

Playoffs
    Draymond / Wiggins / Klay / Poole / Curry : +15.9
    Looney / Wiggins / Klay / Poole / Curry: +5.3
    Draymond / Otto Porter / Wiggins / Poole / Curry : +26.0

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01/lineups/2022/

10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This situation is nuts. In 1 hand he has so much talent it is scary. On the other hand we are trying to not lowball the guy so he feels disrespected and unwanted. Last thing we need is for negotiations to trigger a reason to act up again.
    If the Rockets feel like they can handle the situation, then Godspeed. I just don't want a locker room atmosphere where everyone feels like they have to walk on egg shells to appease him. Coaches have to be able to coach and the kid has to be able to take criticisms in order to improve.
    Just hand him a reasonable contract 11-13 mil with clauses. If he ever walks out of a game or his behavior is detrimental to the teams success the contract becomes an automatic void.

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I agree with this BUT I think Green is going to become fairly elite at creating for others.

The potential here is so,so high. We just need KPJ to fly the straight and narrow.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think the best solution is just to be totally honest. Raf should say:

"KPJ we believe in you, we believe in your talent, we want you to stay, but for us we are still a bit worried about your temper. We would love to give you a 5 year contract, but we can't justify that risk, that being said, we know you deserve more than you are making now. So, here is what we feel comfortable doing. We will give you 3 years at 12 a year, with the first two guaranteed and the third as a team option right now, that is the best we can do. Or you can bet on yourself, play this year - show us that you got it all handled - and let the market set your price"

One way you get 24m guaranteed now and when that third year is up you will still be 25 years old and you may be inline for a much bigger contract.

Or you play this year, handle your business keep improving, and stay in control and probably get a lot more $ and years next summer."

That is how I would handle it.

DD

TimDuncanDonaut and tycoonchip like this.
  13. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

"In time Green may develop passable PG skills"

Serious question. No pissing match here..

What is KPJ doing that J Green could not at least match, if given that role?

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Green does not remotely have the same handles as KPJ - Green beats people with speed and first step, he is a great off the ball player, let him play there for awhile.

DD

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Or you could match the Kevin Huerter Contract (4-yr, $65 million) with the third & fourth years being team options. I think it’s fair for both parties and protects the Rockets. This means a two year guarantee (@ $32.5 million total) for Porter Jr, but after year one it would essentially be 3- 1 yr deals. The Rockets would be very protected and KPJ would get his money.

#335 TEXNIFICENT, Jul 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Put Green in a PG role and it would be pretty embarrassing for him, he simply doesn't have the skills required as of now.

17. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Not remotely? Not IMO, but regardless they both have better than average handles and are plenty good enough to run the point as combo guards. My question is what PG skills (passing, vision, decision making) does KPJ have that Green does not?

18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

People probably would have said the same for KPJ before he was thrown in there. He was always known as a wing. Period. In fact, his decision making and turnovers were some of his biggest flaws.

19. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

What I'm asking is what "PG skills" does KPJ possess that Green does not?

20. Asian Sensation

A 2:1 assist to turnover ratio last year. Jalen couldn’t have done that and that’s okay. 2:1 is not great but also not terrible considering the circumstances. It’s something that can be improved upon. If KPJ can make better decisions, work on ball security and get as close to 3:1 as possible that would be huge.

Believe It! likes this.