1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much will KPjr make per year on the next deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Feb 23, 2022.

?

How much will KPjr make per year on the next deal?

1. 5-6

2. 7-8

3. 9-10

4. 11-13

5. 14-17

6. 18-22

7. 23-26

8. I don't care as long as it's not us footing the bill

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Just to be clear Doncic is often listed as PG.....was seen as PG this
    past season 97% of the time he was on the court according
    to basketball-reference.com. Brunson was seen as 43% of his time at PG.
    So the Brunson stats kinda flourished as an off guard sort of way half the time.

My point being that, "how much of Brunson stats were off the coattails
    of Doncic?".....and lazy/lousy defensive scheming when Doncic didn't play?

Teammates matter. But carry on with your bad self. Tip of the cap to you.

maj21 likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

maj21 = margrave?

King1 likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No no no, Margrave was my alt.

Offer KPJ 12 or 13 a year for 4 years with the 3rd - 4th year team options.....otherwise hit RFA.

DD

#263 DaDakota, Jul 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    34to11 likes this.
  4. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Here are two things I think will be true:

He’s going to get paid more than most expect.

It will play out to be a hell of a team-friendly deal.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I hope so he’s a helluva talent.

When he’s in the zone he looks like a superstar level player.

he’s just not consistent.

the videos of him working out in the off-season look great like old school James harden summer workouts.

with that said I take it with a grain of salt since of course workout short clips only show the best of the workout it’s not designed to show the struggles.

I think he’s got Superstar potential let’s hope he can put it all together.

Plowman, cdrive and DaDakota like this.
  6. 34to11

34to11 Member

Well, we know he's pretty good at bailing...

But bail to where? The Drew League?
    Because clearly few people outside of the handful of KPJ fanatics here view him as a top 25 NBA point guard.

1) Doncic
    2) Curry
    3) Morant
    4) Young
    5) Lillard
    6) Paul
    7) Harden
    8) Irving
    9) Gilgeous-Alexander
    10) Holiday
    11) LaMelo Ball
    12) Garland
    13) VanVleet
    14) Cunningham
    15) Haliburton
    16) Simmons
    17) Murray
    18) Fox
    19) Brunson
    20) Smart
    21) Lonzo Ball
    22) Westbrook
    23) Russell
    24) Giddey
    25) Lowry

The highest you'll find him ranked is 27th by Sporting News, right behind Dinwiddie and ahead of Graham and Suggs.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/ranking-the-top-25-point-guards-for-the-2022-23-season/
    https://thesixersense.com/2022/06/25/nba-ranking-top-30-point-guards/10/
    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba...en-curry-ja-morant/1iji4rqxfxdyh1ldf4wxv8av3y

BamBam and King1 like this.
  7. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Like most fans, I was really bullish about KPJ when we acquired him. I thought he was a budding superstar, and he's definitely shown a lot of flashes, just look at his highlight reels. But am I alone in saying that most of the last season for him was bad? Yes, the last ten games were an uptick, but before that, outside of a few games, he was really subpar on both sides of the ball. And I'm having trouble letting that go because of the highlight reels making rounds that only show the good moments but fail to include the rest.

8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He has a lot of promise but as a player so far he has sucked, I don’t think anyone would dispute that

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

He has played in 130ish games so far in his career - started about a seasons worth of games, and was learning to play a new position at PG in the last year and somehow managed to be one of the better shooting PGs in the league at 3s(was it catch and shoot 3s?)and averaged 6 assists at the age of 22. I agree that his consistency has been all over the place but it’s also really hard to write off someone so young who has shown so much promise despite relatively little on court experience and learning the hardest position on the court for a young/inexperienced team. Generally they say players get a stat bump after about 3/4 years of league experience and I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to think his floor at his current trajectory is 18/6/6 on slightly above average 2pt efficiency shooting above league average on 3s and playing at least league average defense. That’s not a star, but that’s a solid starter at worst.

The off court things are real and should be of concern but I think his talent level given the circumstances is really high. If he just has some incremental improvements over the next few years, he’s a solid starter at worst on a team that frankly has other more gifted playmakers who will run the offense. We shouldn’t argue his skill level. The real question is - how volatile do you think he is emotionally and will that just impact his ceiling(may never become the star he has talent to be) or will that impact his future in the league(does something that gets him kicked out of the league/team)? If the former, you offer him less money, the latter you consider not offering him anything/trading him for another team willing to give it a shot. I personally think he is worth $20mil or less over a 3-4 year team friendly deal.

cdrive, Verbal Christ and Plowman like this.
  10. Rockets4Life13

I feel the same way.
    And he isn't a first year player where you can just assume that he "figured things out" suddenly so that you can expect him to sustain his late season form or improve upon it.
    Of course it would be nice and I do believe he can do it but if you look at his season total stats, they're not pretty.
    And if we weren't Rockets fans, we wouldn't evaluate him based on his last 10 games but rather his season totals and that's an entirely different discussion.

34to11, HorryForThree, Reeko and 3 others like this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

My point is if KPJ takes the next step, some team like the Knicks is going to give him a Brunson like contract. That is why Stone is trying to extend him now. If we get him at 15m for 3 or 4 years it is a gamble worth taking, given how we are going to have to spend more money than that just to get to the floor.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He proved it for about half a year and they are getting an ok pg that plays no defense for 25M/yr

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, that's not a gamble, that's a steal. When players like Brunson can get 25 mil for being an older, lesser, lower ceiling version of KPJ that plays no defense....KPJ will fetch a considerable price if he hits the open market.

Either the Rockets are willing to pay to keep their top players, or they are planning to head down the path paved by the Sacramento Kings.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Stone is trying to extend KPJ right now because that's good business. You want to use the leverage of another year at rookie scale to get a player to bit on a team friendly deal that will get him a solid pay day. KPJ isn't making much money right now so dangling $30 mil in his face is just the smart thing to do.

34to11 likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its funny to me when you provide skeptics raw data to analyze that KPJ ranks very high in certain situational "point guard" playmaking percentiles. BEST C&S 3 ball shooter in the entire league last season and an above average defender. What are some of the co-signed thoughts about him in regards to basketball?

"he has a lot of promise but so far as a player he has sucked"

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

thats the kind of stuff i log into this place for. Woooo. Thanks for that.

edit: It deserves the Jordan laugh

[​IMG]

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It just let's you know that their opinions are irrational and not based on anything solid.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  17. maj21

maj21 Member

Don’t be saying my name unless you @ me lol

18. maj21

maj21 Member

Idk how some people are saying KPJ sucked last year, but Jalen looks like a future superstar. Granted, he was a rookie… but if you watch them skill and versatility wise, KPJ is way above him right now. If wasn’t asked to run the offense last year, I believe he would’ve averaged 22-25 ppg. I’m not saying either guy is on this level, but…. KPJ is more Harden, Jalen is more LaVine. It’s pretty obvious who the better more well rounded player is. Luckily for us we have 2 very talented guards. I just think we gotta be fair with the criticism. Like I said before, the hate started after we drafted Jalen. Kinda how if we draft Wemby, everyone’s gonna start hating Sengun

19. Bo6

Bo6 Member

15 million for 3-4 years with incentives up to 20 million sound fair to me.

r-fan-since-81 and maj21 like this.
  20. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I quoted you dumbass