1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant requests a trade out of Brooklyn!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spooner, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

If we were going to give up all of our draft capital to get a player… It better be Scottie Barnes- Or Evan Mobley or Cunningham…

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It would take a lot of incentive for Stone to agree to help them. TBH, I am quite fearful what that might mean. As Rockets fan, I would rather see the Nets give us a lottery pick for 5 straight years.

The the timing of those picks are crucial. I'd wait till the end of this season to see if our young core is go enough to go to war with, and therefore ready to cash in the draft capital for good veteran players.

The value of draft picks depends on their projected positions. Picks from good teams aren't as valuable as picks from bad teams. And the further in time, the less certain they are and therefore have the lower value. I agree with you that getting a second tier star player like Brown will make them mired in mediocrity. But who knows. Maybe Brown will go up a notch when he has his own team.

If I were them, I would go the draft picks route and hope to get lucky that the team with Durant would implode and start sucking.

luckyman76, D-rock and Trackwell like this.
  3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Exactly. Man some these trade scenarios are ridiculous. Dudes be ready to give up the farm for players that aren’t complete. Jalen Brown has a huge freaking flaw. His handles aren’t that good. There’s a reason Brooklyn didn’t take that trade. You would do that trade for the Hardens(prime) and Kawhi. Not secondary stars like Jaylon Brown. Boston was right to include Brown in a trade becaue he’s not on the level of tier 1 cornerstones like Tatum and KD. Not an elite scorer or defender.

Trackwell likes this.
  4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Jaylen Brown has improved his handle a good bit and is still young.

He may not be Tatum But this is a guy that does pretty much everything well. Brown also seems to be a very good defensive player and adequate rebounder for his size.

Id give up 4 Frp and a young asset fpr Brown without blinking. This is a guy that hasnt hit his ceiling. May end up being a Batman.. It may not be likely, but there is a decent chance of that outcome.

Sengun
    Smith
    Brown/Eason
    Green
    KPJ/Ty

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree.

Jaylen Brown or Pasqual Siakam plus 2 FRP (2 swaps and/or 2 SRP) is likely the best deal they could hope for if Nets want All Star caliber player in return.

The other option is trade for max # of picks.

Hawks:
    Kevin Durant

Pacers:
    John Collins
    KJ Martin

Sixers:
    Eric Gordon
    Joe Harris

Nets:
    Tobias Harris
    Bogdan Bogdanovic
    David Nwaba
    Jaden Springer
    Usman Garuba
    3 Hawks FRP (2023, 2024, 2029)
    1 Pacers FRP (2024)
    1 Rockets FRP (2028)
    1 Sixers FRP (2029)
    3 Hawks SRP (2023, 2024, 2026)

Rockets:
    Myles Turner
    Matisse Thybulle
    Jalen Johnson

rpr52121 likes this.
  6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Does this trade actually work salary wise? If so, well done.

Two possible issues:

1. I don't see Morey helping out the Hawks that much. Hawks without Murray and Durant beat 76ers two years back. They would be a legitimate threat adding those 2 guys in the interim.

2. Wouldn't the Pacers expect more back for Turner?

D-rock likes this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Why are we trading a first rounder for Jalen Johnson?

Seems like a useless trade for us since both Thybue and Turner are heading into FA next season

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Works salary wise AND win-win for each team.

Pacers want FRP for Turner per all the Lakers sources.

John Collins would be equivalent IMO. Plus KJ.

Morey gets 2 more players that compliment Harden + Embiid. KD + Hawks is not even close to KD + GSW.

Morey may not love deal but he gets off Tobias contract and brings in 2 guys who light it up next to his stars + postseason.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jalen Johnson is worth FRP imo.

But adding Turner and Thybulle would make Rockets elite defensively.

Paying either of them is Stone's worry.

10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

It would also hurt our pick this coming year, so you have to take that into account. My hope is no veterans are added this offseason, so far it’s been fantastic but there’s still time to ruin it

REEKO_HTOWN and D-rock like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree that it could hurt our own pick in Wembayana sweepstakes but it also increases likelihood that BKN pick moves up.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think it is a fair return on Turner?

John Collins is still young - equal value to Turner in many ways? But plays a different position and would allow them to have a good look at Jalen Smith in the middle this season.

As far as 76ers helping the Hawks goes, they are giving up some pieces to get KD, it would depend how confident Morey is in what he currently has. Allegedly he wants to get rid of Tobias Harris, and it could be seen as a nice return for ditching a bad contract

D-rock likes this.
  13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya but you’re punting on 2028 as well, it’s not just wenby though, having a top 4 pick guaranteed is far more important then turner or johnson or any random guy

REEKO_HTOWN and D-rock like this.
  14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Get Turner and Brown

To Indy
    MIL Pick
    Garuba
    KMJ
    Nets 2024 1st top 20 protected or it turns into a 2nd rounder. Just a small add on in the trade and we keep the pick if it at all decent

To Houston
    Turner

To Boston
    KD

To Brooklyn
    They get everything back other than their 2024 pick.
    Josh Christopher
    Boston 2026 1st
    Gordon (they can flip for first)

To Houston
    Jaylen Brown

Turner/Sengun
    Smith/Eason
    Brown/Eason/Tate
    Green
    KPJ/Ty

15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Man, i like jalen but to punt on EVERYTHING, including our pick this season for him? I don’t think he’s worth that

D-rock likes this.
  16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I tend to agree.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

These types of trades are still doable this next offseason.

The Rockets have the young players with talent that need to give minutes to. See what pick that scenario gets you. Then use the flexibility that cap space gives you along with that top 10 pick to draft a player or trade for one. During the process seeing what Eason KPJ and Sengun give you to help determine the position you want to target most to add to Jabari and Green.

If you’re really lucky Victor or Scoot are added to the team.

Imagine waiting for the team to organically improve. Then someone like Jocic or Embid wanting to change teams and the Rockets actually being desirable. You could then trade for a top 10-15 player etc

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hold the picks with cold, dead fingers. We already have a boatload of talent. Let the kids play and let's see where we are in a couple of years.

REEKO_HTOWN and rpr52121 like this.
  19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya this is basically my view. Unless we can absolutely rob a team i have no interest in adding any vets this season, tanking is still the absolute goal for this year. Next offseason? You can start to explore but short circuiting the rebuild is a deathnail almost every single time

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I agree in many scenarios. I'm not trying to go all in w Brown but I would deal a large part of our cache for him.

1. Love him but while we adapt and grow this year, I would think that we would still remain in the top part of the lottery. We still have 2023 pick and a Brooklyn asset.

2. I dont think Brown becoming Batman is likely. I would argue that he actually has a higher statistical probability of doing so than anyone on the roster. There is just a good bit of data on him being an all star level TWO WAY player. Rebounds well.

3. If we max him out in 2 years, he reaches the end of that deal at 32. He will continue to improve but already puts up 23/6/3.

4. Fits seamlessly in at SF. Gets the rest of his min at SG. Adds more size and a bit of thickness.

Sengun/Bruno
    Smith/Tate
    Brown/Eason
    Green/Brown
    KPJ/Ty

Bake 2-3 years for contender and add an additional stud with 2023 pick.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.