1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Home Projects

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Jul 24, 2022.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I just finished re-painting my home library. Here's the view from my from my desk. I luckily found some good colors in the bin at the Habitat ReStore and used a roller for most and a foam wedge brush for the corners and detail work. I dripped some paint on the carpet so went ahead and ripped that out only to find this weird floor underneath. I'm looking at carpet remnants now to recover it in something soft.

What projects are you working on?
    [​IMG]

Nook, ROCKSS, Xerobull and 3 others like this.
  2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Uh, I made home made pickles...

[​IMG]

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm looking for a pivot or sliding glass door for the home office. It's been kind of difficult to source them. I might need to go custom? Any recommendations?

EX:

[​IMG]

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I just got a cheap-looking heat gun to see if I can budge/remove an idiotic anti-siphon valve off an outdoor spigot. But the thought of trying to do it in 100+ heat has me being a bit lazy. lol. Not to mention from reading the description, I feel worried as as it seems to be made for giants with its dimensions of 97.64" x 75.6". smh.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That may literally be the most dangerous tool in your shop. Make sure you store it far away from where kids can find it.

I used a Dremel tool to get one of those valves off before.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm guessing yours had a set screw or was it some kind of build up that caused it to get stuck on there? No dremel will get this thing off. This looks like one without a set screw in it, so I'm guessing they used loctite on the threads to keep it on there. At least I hope it's just something like loctite. Who knows. All the new ones seem to have the stupid set screw on them.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, thread seems ill-timed because I don't even want to bother putting things on the right shelf in the garage, much less improve anything with this kind of heat. In the fall, I'll probably want to do some stuff.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I adjusted the cushions on my couch and added a coaster for my beer to a table while I was watching the Astros game yesterday.

ArtV, ROCKSS, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Do you play IRL Qbert?

Xerobull likes this.
  10. CrazyJoeDavola

I just replaced a very long fence section in my backyard and used what I call "knucklehead labor" to do it ("knucklehead" = my son and his friends). Even in the 100° heat totally manageable. I just showed them what to do left them alone came back to check on them from time to time, Went perfectly. Best $10 an hour I've ever spent.

Nook, ROCKSS, Xerobull and 2 others like this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Let's face it. It's the only reason to have children, right?

ROCKSS and CrazyJoeDavola like this.
  12. Xerobull

I highly recommend insulating your garage doors, get a weather stripping kit to seal them (they can still open) and add a split unit AC to your garage. It makes it so much more usable during the hot months and you’ll find yourself taking better care of it, too.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The slab is so badly cracked that it's a wonder it hasn't toppled into the bayou already. I might set it on fire for the insurance money, but I probably won't invest any money in it in its current state.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish I could do basic woodworking - I want to make some sound absorption panels for my music room, and I already have the insulation material to make them.

Back when I was in school, you weren't encouraged to take shop or auto repair if you were on the "academic" track. But I definitely would have gotten more out of either of those than my 4th year of foreign language (German, of which I know fewer words than most 9 months old babies).

Xerobull likes this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I always tell people the one class I wish I had taken back in high school was shop. This despite the fact it was usually filled with future convicts. On second thought, maybe I'll count my lucky stars I didn't and just hire somebody to do the more complex stuff in the future.

On the plus side, I cleaned my showerhead. Go me. Though I should change it since its functionality seems to be a bit shot. I even have a new one. Yeah, I should've just changed it. lol.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Watch some YouTube videos of some simple projects, get some tools and go to town. It’s never too late.

Without a doubt, Shop was one of the most important and lasting classes I took in 8th grade. If I had to do it over again, I would go the vocational route to learn all of that super useful trade stuff. It took me 20 years to finish my undergrad and it’s only a bullet point on my resume.

Also, you should have just changed out your shower head. I put one in with a pressure switch last month and it changed my life.

17. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I wanted to take an auto detailing class, because they said you would ultimately learn how to pinstripe (and I like cars, specifically lowriders and thought that would be cool). They wouldn't let me take it. Apparently, the cooking class was acceptable for a future college student though.

Luckily my dad was a carpenter/handy man and taught me a lot of stuff. Anything I do still takes me hours for something he'd probably do in like 20 minutes. But hey, the people doing woodwork can't do excel like me!

18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I built this shed over the summer, finally got it shingled this weekend. I'm not done painting yet, but don't feel like taping/caulking/painting right now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did it completely from scratch. Bought plans online, ordered the materials from Lowes back in late May. Took about 2 months of working on spare time and weekends, sometimes with my dad's help. It's an 8'x16' lean to about 9' on the tallest side. The foundation is made out of 2x6 PT joists on 4x4 skids. Digging was the worst part of the build.

It's mainly to store toys, bikes, garden tools so that we have space to park cars in the garage. No electrical as that'd require permits. My garage has enough electrical for all my tools.

Never took shop in school. Learned everything from YouTube.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

^Put in a window and you have a 2500k per month air BnB luxury tiny house

subtomic, ROCKSS and ATXNekko like this.
  20. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Dude, thats awesome.....nice job