1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do the Nets Picks & Swaps Turn into? Tari Eason + ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by peleincubus, Jul 25, 2022.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Now that the Rockets have had two drafts to turn around from the oldest team in the league to what they currently are now. What is your guess to how the Nets picks are used? I have been thinking of different ideas and what the time frame should be over the last several months.

1. Just use them over time for what they are
    2. Package them together to move up in the 2023 draft
    3. Package them together to acquire the best player you can already in the NBA
    4. Some other idea

Bonus option: Use them to somehow clear salary in a few years

groovemachine likes this.
  2. xaos

xaos Member

I know this is the lazy answer but the Durant trade (or nontrade) significantly changes how these are used.

Personally I'd like to try to convince Nets that their picks are the most valuable pieces anyone can offer them. Who else can offer them multiple top 8 picks that they can control (2024/2025)? If we can get in the mix of a Durant deal we could increase our odds for a top 3 pick this year (Nets would tank) without us 'tanking' or snag a young player (Best case is Barnes; although highly highly unlikely).

Alternatively having those picks at the same time we do not control our own is a nice cushion as well -- for drafting or trading. I'd assume they're used more for trading than drafting

#2 xaos, Jul 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    joshuaao and Invisible Fan like this.
  3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I would hang on to them to have the ammo to trade for an unhappy star in 2-3 years when we are trying to actually win. Barnes I would probably punt on the picks for, but that list is VERY small

AroundTheWorld and napalm06 like this.
  4. bigred77

bigred77 Member

My guess is the 2023 swap doesn't come into play, we use the 2024 pick as it falls, and the remaining assets get moved as part of a package for another all star level piece.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

OP was the kind of kid who asked his parents what he’s getting for Christmas over the next decade

napalm06, coachbadlee and peleincubus like this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Thanks for answering the question.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What do you mean by 'turn into'?

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

turn into
    phrasal verb of "turn"
    be transformed or become a particular kind of thing or person

9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Maybe the Pick Swap can be traded back to the Nets and the Rockets Receive a Player from the Nets.

Or trade the Nets pick Swap with a Contender Team like GSW, Celtics that have the 30th pick trade them the Pick Swap Nets and Rockets get a Extra Future 1st Round Pick in 2024

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Just ran the Tankathon 10 times: Rockets select ( ? ) and at #28 (Bucks)
    1) 5th
    2) 2nd
    3) 3rd
    4) 5th
    5) 5th
    6) 1st
    7) 6th
    8) 5th
    9) 1st
    10) 6th

By my calculations that puts us at:
    4th pick (3.9 on the average)
    and
    Bucks pick listed as 28th
    I would draft Cam Whitmore at #4 and try to trade up to around 8 or 9
    to select Dillion Mitchell (some sites now list Dillion at 6'9")

I could run starters of:
    Porter
    Green
    Jabari
    Tari
    Sengun

Love the idea of being able to go to small ball lineups of:
    Porter (6'5") / Cam Whitmore (6'7") / Dillion Mitchell (6'9") / Jabari (6'11") / Tari (6'8")
    or
    Jalen Green (6'5") / Cam Whitmore / Dillion Mitchell / Jabari / Tari

#10 ApacheWarrior, Jul 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Tari Eason + Jaylen Brown.

Just kidding

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Damn, @KingCheetah gonna need some time to recover from this pedantic riposte

KingCheetah likes this.
  13. VoR

VoR Member

The Brooklyn pick gives us the freedom to be good next year (big if) if the team is gelling and we have an opportunity to be in the play in. I think we keep it for that leverage and won't make a decision until 1/3 through the season.

Ausar Thompson and Kel'el Ware interest me after the top 5 picks. Anthony Black with the Milwaukee pick might be possible--he has a tall PG potential and would really work well with the Rockets. Leonard Miller should also be earmarked, he has a VERY well rounded game for his size. Amari Bailey will be interesting to watch at UCLA. Baba Miller is super interesting: a guard who blossomed into 6' 11" 7' 2" wingspan. So he has the handles of a guard in a big man's body. Lots of things to watch for late in the draft. I won't mind if we pick up some late draft picks via EG and KMJ.

14. VoR

VoR Member

Next years draft will have a few late round gems and will be remembered as a high talent draft. I am all for 3-4 picks again. We will need to move Nwaba to make space.

groovemachine likes this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Mr. Cheetah should the rockets keep and use the picks. Or, should they trade them for for something (whatever your imagination can conjure) else?

16. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

If the Nets fall apart you keep them and have the rare opportunity of being a good team with high draft picks. If the Nets stay good to mediocre they are probably best packaged for vets to build a contender around the young core.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think it's likely that the Nets are a bad team the next couple years, no matter what they get for Durant.

They have no draft picks to get better.
    No one in their right mind wants to play with Kyrie so they aren't signing a quality FA - IF he isn't traded.
    They aren't getting a great player in return for Durant and any picks they get are going to be late in the round.

They'll likely be stuck as a 30 win team for the next 4-5 years.

Because of that. I'd be hanging onto those picks to use in each draft ..... to add early to mid lottery talent to an already strong roster each year. The best case is adding a high lottery pick to a 50+ win team .... more than once.

luckyman76 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Celtics have already offered them Jaylen Brown and Raptors have likely offered them one of their core players. Kyrie will be off the team after next season one way or the other, he will likely be gone sooner.

I think the Nets will be a playoff team after next season. They will be able to make cap space, and players will always sign with a New York team. Not a contender, but enough to ruin our picks. I would really try to engage the Nets in a 3 team deal right now to cash in a proven player.

19. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

the problem is that then you're chasing. By the time the player you drafted in 2024 is NBA ready, the player you drafted in 2021 may be unaffordable when his FA happens. At a certain point you need to package those picks and go for a win now. Our current team, plus 2 all stars that decide to join in FA (1 max that signs mainly for the money, another max that may not have signed in Houston but signs for the chance to play on a contender a la Dwight Howard in 2011 or Paul George in OKC) plus another all star that we trade for with our picks can potentially take it all. It would be 3 all stars plus green, smith, sengun, etc

20. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

The worst part for Brooklyn is that Kyrie is also an irreplaceable star because they are so far over the cap. Once he comes off the books they don't get to add another star. They have a ton of money locked up in players not named Durant and Simmons. Much like the Harden Rockets that team was built for those aging stars. It is an island of misfit toys that will have to be dismantled.

Corrosion likes this.