1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, eliminating constitutional right to abortion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 24, 2022.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Assuming you can track down the rapist, you just levy his wages (including prison wages if he is sent to prison). The same way that restitution works in criminal cases.
    Somewhere between 7 and 9% of abortions occur in the second or third trimester. That is after the fetus has a heartbeat and brain activity. At a rate of around 900,000 abortions per year in the United States, that would be between 63,000 and 81,000 per year (or more than all the people who die of gunshot wounds in the United States annually, regardless of age - about 45,000).

#1041 StupidMoniker, Jul 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    Amiga and TheJuice like this.
  2. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

While we're discussing child support, there's two cases I don't understand.

The first was one where it was statutory rape (adult woman, teenage boy) and the boy was still made to pay child support, which doesn't make sense if all rape is rape.

The second, more alarming group is cases I've heard about sperm donors having to pay child support.

Both of these seem inconsistent with the supposed values people claim as well as just common sense.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Nice one lumping 2nd trimester abortions with the relatively minute 3rd trimester that happens in 1% of all abortions. Brain stem and heartbeat still can't survive outside the mother and we still can't farm fetuses outside testtubes until the 22nd week.

As those life giving machines are considered property, I imagine the host patient can argue property rights or even Castle Doctrine in some states to evict the trespasser/unwanted object off the premises.

P.S. Gun violence deaths are still not a trivial amount but we Americans love and worship property rights along with the Almighty Number Two, so why not...

JayGoogle and TheJuice like this.
  4. StupidMoniker

Both of these cases are based on the same principle. In family court, the goal of the court as far as children are concerned is to do what is in the best interest of the child. If you read any child custody or support case, you will always see that phrase mentioned. If a boy was the victim of statutory rape, the best interest of the child is still that he pays child support. Same with sperm donors.
    Since most people in recent polling are fairly supportive on bans after 15 weeks or so and that is also the standard (or lower) in most of Europe, and first trimester was also the standard in Roe v. Wade that this thread was about and that progressives love, I thought second trimester was worth mentioning.
    What life-giving machines are considered property? Women? By whom are women considered property?
    Heart disease deaths blow gun violence deaths out of the water by an order of magnitude (not abortion though, heart disease only gets 650,000 or so people per year). We would save a lot more lives banning high fructose corn syrup and other obesity drivers than guns. Do you think we should severely restrict the diets of all Americans and mandate adequate exercise? I'm more freedom oriented myself, but that would be the utilitarian thing to do.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Texas woman speaks out after being forced to carry her dead fetus for 2 weeks

The same surgical procedure that is used to treat a miscarriage is also used for terminating pregnancies. New Texas anti-abortion laws have doctors nervous to perform procedures for miscarriages, forcing this woman to carry her dead fetus in her womb for two weeks.

Some sick stuff. This is why this stuff should be between a doctor and the patient. Can't imagine the mental pain you have to go through carrying around a dead fetus and all the medical complications that can arise from it. This woman could have died because she was refused a very standard procedure or it could have resulted in her being infertile. In this case the woman doesn't even want to get pregnant again...

This is why crusty old dudes should have little say in this. Already had someone here on this forum thinking it'd be completely okay for a 10 year old to carry a baby to term. A lot of these people making these laws seem to have no concept of what pregnancy even is.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

A poor comparison because if I die because of my diet that is a choice I made. No different than someone dying while surfing or skydiving, it's a choice the person makes. Therefore sure, if a person is willing to risk their health for unhealthy foods, that's on them, just like if someone wants to smoke themselves to death...that's on them.

Getting killed by gun violence is not always voluntary, obviously, it is in cases of suicide. Death by diet always is by choice.

TheJuice and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Are you basing support on the WSJ Poll? 48% for vs 43% against bans is a very slim majority. Europe's enforcement (wiki) is a bit like ours where:

Access to abortion in much of Europe depends not as much on the letter of the law, but on the prevailing social views which lead to the interpretation of the laws. In much of Europe, laws which allow a second-trimester abortion due to mental health concerns (when it is deemed that the woman's psychological health would suffer from the continuation of the pregnancy) have come to be interpreted very liberally, while in some areas it is difficult to have a legal abortion even in the early stages of pregnancy due to conscientious objection by doctors refusing to perform abortions against their personal moral or religious convictions.
    Americans have interpreted the third trimester as a red line largely from Roe and subsequent cases because interpretations of viability during 3T is less vague. Even then, the polling in the WSJ article shows public opinions are all over the place.

In a sense, we are treating women's (child bearing) body parts like property while viability is still undetermined. She becomes a forced surrogate. If surrogate mothers can sign agreements for "rental" and cede ownership of the baby to the zygote's donors, then it's the same as me getting paid for jerking off my AAA wad into a cup and sending it to the lab for whatever use they want.

If heart disease or diabeetus from HFC had a direct cause and a (near) immediate chance of death, like a bullet to the heart or a pill that instantly aborts a fetus, then I'd be inclined to ban that root cause even if people took it thinking it was 50x better than sex.

Nook and TheJuice like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Thats ****ing absurd. So much for rape is rape. If he cant consent to sex, how can he be held responsible? We let female victims of statutory rape abort. Glad to know to never donate sperm, even anonymoualy.

My incel upbringing is starting to sound a lot more appealing tbh

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

11. StupidMoniker

That's family law for you, it isn't about what happened or who is at fault, they have vastly different priorities. Mostly it is two lawyers milking people for all they can get, spending $10,000 fighting over dishes and bookshelves. I stay away as much as possible.

12. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

God, that's awful. I'm ineligible to donate sperm for being too short (I looked into it once), but I'm safeguarding the ones I freeze.

How is it not a rights violation to make someone pay for a kid they didn't want, for sex they didn't have or couldn't consent to? I know the media and general society brands anyone who brings this up a misogynist...but like this is blatantly not right.

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

in the age of ultrasound it puzzles me why the party of science hides its lying eyes.

Invisible Fan, J.R. and JumpMan like this.
  14. Roscoe Arbuckle

California admitted that they can abort the baby up until birth if they feel it would be in the woman's best mental health. That is such a horrible cause.

Y'all caused this.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

From the idiot Matt Gaetz

“Why is it that the women with the least likelihood of getting pregnant are the ones most worried about having abortions?” Gaetz told the group of young Republicans and budding extremists, seemingly very proud of his stand-up routine. “Nobody wants to impregnate you if you look like a thumb.”

16. Invisible Fan

The only way Gaetz gets laid is through sex traffickers and underage looking women.

17. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

I hate to say it...

he isnt wrong

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sorry, that's bullshit.

19. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

LOL okay....

hot women tend to he conservative. Pink haired feminazis tend to be ugly

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's a lot of women who are all in on the MAGAverse like MTG and Lauren Boebbert who would sleep with him. There are a lot of hangers on and social climbers who would sleep with a Congressman.

Among the many sad pathetic things for someone like Matt Gaetz is that he did sleep with someone who was being sex trafficked and was underage. He probably has a lot of opportunity to sleep with adult women because of his position.