1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Maybe Chas? They already sent him down once (though it was only for a day or two). Diaz/Yuli back up IF, with Alvarez/Brantley/Diaz all capable of LF. Dubon backs up SS/CF and maybe LF/RF when needed. Not saying this will happen, but it could.

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea that makes sense as long as they are comfortable with Dubon in CF

Bregatron likes this.
  3. awc713

awc713 Member

Josh Bell would be our first Bell since Derek…time to bring home the ring from 98. It’s happening

raining threes, Marteen and RayRay10 like this.
  4. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

You can ring my Be..eee…ell…Ring my bell.

swoosh1014 and desihooper like this.
  5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Anyone else see shameful click-bait every time Law is mentioned?

If Brown were a Yankee prospect, Law would be touting him as worth Soto in a straight up trade.

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Personally, it feels like the Astros HAVE TO go out and upgrade at first base.

The Astros are in the Yankees head. Go out, add a big time player like Bell, and put even more doubt in your biggest threat to returning to a World Series.

7. Screaming Fist

I think if anything Chas is building a case right now that he's a better player than Jake Meyers and should be the starting CF, not trade bait.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

another soto fantasy scenario:

trade for soto + take on corbin contract (probably essential under any fantasy scenario that we have a chance at him). whatever minor leaguers, garcia/javier, meyers, etc...

(win world series)

re-trade soto this upcoming offseason. no corbin necessary for teams, more potential suitors = better prospect haul than we gave.

so we'd be taking on corbin in return for 1/2 season of soto, and a prospect upgrade (quite possibly a significant one).

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Go get Castillo and Bell and let’s win this sh*t.

10. Major

Major Member

Paying Corbin $60M over the next 2 years probably costs you any chance of keeping Verlander. So you're trading 2 years of Verlander for 1/2 a season of Soto, plus whatever net plus/minus you get in prospects. And because the team is unlikely to just release a player they owe $60MM, it probably means you're stuck with him as your #5 pitcher for the next two years instead of one of the many actual good SPs you have.

cardpire and Bregatron like this.
  11. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I kind of hope it would be a buzzer beater deal. Acquire Bell early and maybe Yankees panic and acquire Castillo. If Astros acquire Bell last minute, hopefully gives Yankees no time to counter. Or like the other poster said, just get Castillo and Bell lol

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Tradable assets:

Tier 1: Cristian Javier, Luis Garcia, Hunter Brown, Jose Urquidy, Chas McCormick, Jake Meyers, Bryan Abreu

Tier 2: Korey Lee, Jose Siri, Pedro Leon, Colin Barber, Jake Odorizzi, Forrest Whitley, Yainer Diaz, Enmanuel Valdez, Joe Perez, JJ Matijevic, Jaime Melendez

Tier 3: Parker Mushinski, Seth Martinez, JP France, Peter Solomon, Brandon Bielak, Shawn Dubin, Jimmy Endersby, Enoli Paredes, Ronel Blanco, Taylor Jones, David Hensley, Justin Dirden, WilyerAbreu, Corey Julks, Grae Kessinger, Shay Whitcomb, Luke Berryhill, Alex McKenna, Lewis Brinson, Misael Tamarez, Julio Robaina, Adrian Chaidez, Chayce McDermott, Spencer Arrighetti, Jordan Brewer, Will Wagner, Quincy Hamilton, JC Correa, Miguel Ullola, Edinson Batista, Carlos Calderon, Rhett Kouba, Miguel Palma, Luis Santana, Joey Loperfido, Cristian Gonzalez, Michael Sandle, Logan Cerny, Kendedy Corona, Colton Gordon, Tyler Whitaker, Dauri Lorenzo, Luis Baez, Kenni Gomez, Sandro Gaston

A trade for a multi-year star player (like Luis Castillo) is going to include at least 1 of the Tier 1 assets and likely 2 or more. A trade for a star rental (Willson Contreras, Josh Bell) or a multi-year 2nd tier player (Garrett Cooper) is likely to cost at least 2 Tier 2 assets. A trade for a 2nd tier rental (like Trey Mancini or Andrew Chafin) or multi-year RP (like Gregory Soto) may require a Tier 2 asset but more likely would be 2-3 players from the Tier 3 list.

I consider it pretty unlikely that Houston trades Garcia, Javier, or Abreu. And with 7 consecutive quality starts, I would think Urquidy would only be traded for a very high value (i.e., he should make up the bulk of value sent over for Luis Castillo). It would also really really surprise me if Meyers was traded.

#2152 Snake Diggit, Jul 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  13. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

JV is still an Astro and he has the b
    Seems like I recall newly drafted players could be traded this year but do not recall any confirmation of that. Anybody know if that is the case? If so would you be willing to trade any of our new prospects?

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don't think they can be traded. I think they clarified the rule to ensure they weren't named as PTBNL but I could be wrong. If they were tradable, I really wouldn't want Houston to trade any of them unless it was an obvious overpay.

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I thought Soto had 3 years left on his deal?

16. ARA71197

ARA71197 Member

Will be fascinating to see what the contenders decide to do. Trading for Juan Soto is honestly a bad idea for many teams. Why waste a ton of prospects on 1 player rather than address multiple needs. Like, for the Yankees, they would be smarter to get Castillo as their top target and then a bat (linked to Benintendi), and maybe a reliever since Michael King fractured his elbow yesterday.

With JV basically being the only ace on the staff + questions about McCullers health and JV's potential upcoming free agency, I would def go after Castillo. Yuli's free agency and decline is concerning, so Josh Bell makes all the sense in the world. What about Jason Castro's injury? Will Click get a backup catcher or roll with Lee. I can see Korey Lee being packaged, but Astros would need a catcher in return. Hopefully we'll see movement with the draft done.

raining threes likes this.
  17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Very nice list. Thank you for compiling it. I think I agree with you on all of it.
    2 minor things to his brings to mind looking at that:
    Forest Whitley just cannot be traded. I think you are right on his value and it might even be a touch lower, but I just can’t see sending him out for a 2nd tier guy or an abs one average relief pitcher and then watching him blow up. Because if we were talking about everyone on that list reaching their 90th percentile outcome he’d be at the top of the list. And I just wouldn’t want any part of giving away that for marginal talent, while also acknowledging that he could very likely never produce a single WAR. Rather ride that ship down than take meh for him.
    2) Odo almost shouldn’t even be on that list. He really doesn’t feel like he’s any part of a buy trade for us (you have to send him to someone in the middle of a playoff push so why would they give up current MLB talent) so he’s strictly a sell, so the question then becomes what asset is he worth coming back to us. I’d like to see your thoughts on how much we could get for the following guys if we were selling them
    to competing clubs for prospects or prospect
    Equivalent:
    Odo
    Maton
    Chas
    Urquidy
    Garcia

Snake Diggit and Htown Legend like this.
  18. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Unrelated
    I could use some help with something. I started to post a reply to the beard some time ago, got called away and forgot about it. Today I replied to snakediggit (post 2153 this thread) and the unfinished reply to thebeard came up with it. Tried to edit it away but could not get it done. Is it possible to delete a post once you begin it?

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

guess there's no way of knowing, but if it's definitely at the expense of 2 years of verlander, i'd agree with you. maybe with some middle ground of some but not all of corbin's salary they could have their cake and eat it too. all just a fantasy anyway.

20. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I believe Castro is done. I am happy with Maldy and Lee as our catchers for the remainder of the season and thru the playoffs. But I believe there should be an experienced third catcher available in Sugar Land in case of injury to either of them.
    I am not so much a baseball fan as I am an Astros fan so I have no idea what might be available out there. Anybody have any thoughts as to who the Astros should be looking at to fill that role?

#2160 BlindHog, Jul 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2022