1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dave Chappelle sold out show in Minneapolis : update: Fat Woke Whities ARRESTED!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Jul 21, 2022.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Not that it matters, because who the hell should be basing their life choices/values on an episode of Spongebob Squarepants, but is that an actual episode?

If jokes (especially Chapelle's) cause you to behave differently towards entire groups of people, then I'd say the problem is you're an idiot and/or *******.

tinman and Nook like this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All it takes is one powerful person to do that. I am really surprised by that kind of decision.

What's more shocking is the BLM and Antifa would be against Dave Chappelle. Antifa?

#42 Sweet Lou 4 2, Jul 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Based on the tweet from First Ave. it sounds like members of their staff were uncomfortable about Chapelle but rather than cancel it they just moved it to another venue that they still control. If it was someone in city government like Andrea Jenkins complaining the show was still held in the city of Minneapolis. First Ave. also controls venues in St. Paul and suburbs where they could've moved the show if Minneapolis city government was complaining.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Antifa doesn't exist. And no one cares about Hunter Biden

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's just interesting how a group that opposes fascism and targets right-wing rallies somehow, according to the right, is everywhere and the main engine behind violence in this country.

ROCKSS likes this.
  6. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...supporter-fake-arson-attack-blm-b2122345.html

I love how everything is about Antifa and BLM, when in reality its just a phrase by the far right when things don't go there way.....kind of like the big lie that they didn't lose the election.......deflect, deflect......do the rope a dope. As far as this topic, I think its silly to cancel DC from this venue, its a comedy act, he makes fun of EVERYONE..........if you don't find it funny then don't go see him. We are all entitled to our opinion, I may not agree with you but that shouldn't stop you from expressing it......no matter how F`d up I think it is

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Basically whenever something bad happens, blame Antifa, BLM, or the libs. How many times in the past 10 years has ANYTHING been their fault lol.

ROCKSS likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I don't think "the right" believes that Antifa is "the main engine behind violence in this country"

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Sure seems like it given how whenever there's an act of political violence you see "Antifa Antifa Antifa" or BLM. The Antifa narrative has toned down somewhat probably because most people aren't buying it. So mostly it's gone back to the standard fare of blacks are the ones killing everyone.

ROCKSS likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah it was.

The episode was about how people would repeat Spongebob's jokes TO Sandy but any time she found offense to them Spongebob would remind her that its just jokes and to get over it.

Unfortunately, a lot of people will take Dave's jokes and use them in this way. I think the discussion is always should the comedian not care at all or should the comedian realize that their jokes are adding to discrimination. If Dave was some small time local comedian it probably wouldn't matter, but since he's like top 5.....this is a thing Dave himself admitted this about his own show.

There have been plenty of comedians that have discussed this over the years so Spongebob did nothing new there, just put it into an episode.

I enjoy Dave and a fan of his but I know my opinion on this is that he's been hammering these Trans jokes pretty hard. A general rule as a comedian is that you rarely make fun of groups/communities you are not in or if you do you understand there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

ROCKSS likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I think folks on the right, as well as moderates, get super annoyed when pro-violence lefties deny the existence of Antifa.

That doesn't mean that folks on the right or moderates believe that Antifa is the main source of political violence in the U.S. today

12. MystikArkitect

The bigger issue here which seems to be sliding under the radar is the venue owner. They sure love to be pro-LGBTQ when it's convenient to them but when Chappelle came along they jumped at the chance to book him. Shouldn't be Chappelle getting the heat here.

That's his whole point with this group. They shift in one direction when it's convenient and shift in another when it's not.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

But MS Marvel DID make me gay

tinman likes this.
  14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I don't believe he actually is a bigot. What I believe is that Chappelle simply isn't funny anymore because he's run out of ideas. You saw this happen with his show on ComedyCentral. After he bolted from the network, they showed outtakes from stuff that was in production but never aired and it was simply dreadful. Having lost his creativity, Chappelle has become controversal in order to remain relevant and pull in the $$$. And what better way to be "controversal" than to attack and make fun of a marginialized group of people that's already under attack by bigoted white Christian Nationalists?

Chappelle would have you believe this is all about protestors attempting to take away his "artistic freedom" but that's just a convenient argument to provide him cover from the true ramifications of his actions. After all, if what he's saying is legitimate - that nothing show be off limits if it makes people laugh - then why not go all the way and bring back white men performing in blackface or minstrel shows or reboot Amos and Andy? Hell, why not go all the way and perform as Stepin Fetchit? I'm sure the MAGA crowd would line up to see him do that on stage.

Blatz likes this.
  15. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Comedians have to reinvent themselves. People look for an excuse to be outraged. It's absurd

tinman, Slyonebluejay and Blatz like this.
  16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Dave has always been ahead of the curve.

tinman likes this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There’s a clear line in the world
    People who like chappelle jokes
    And those who cry and shrivel up like bbq shrimp

18. tinman

Supporting Member

The people who keep saying that Dave is not funny
    Aren’t the majority of people because all his shows are pretty much sold out
    Doesn’t matter what city , he sold out the warriors stadium and Hollywood bowl
    His specials on Netflix get millions of viewers that’s why Netflix wouldn’t can’t him

King1 likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

The people who don’t think Chapelle is funny , what do you watch do stand up ?
    Kim Jung Il? Bruce Springsteen? Ghandi ?

King1 likes this.