1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predict the Rockets' Depth Chart...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

KMJ fits offense better. Tate fits defense a lot better. Tate's only problem right now appears to be whether he or Sengun will shoot the 3 well enough for those two to play well together.

2. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

KMJ also publicly asked for a trade. Tate did not

Easy likes this.
  3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

C- Sengun 28, Garuba 14, Smith 6
    PF- Smith 26, KMJ 22
    SF- Gordon 20, Eason 28
    SG- Green 28, Jaygup 12, Gordon 8
    PG- KPJ 32, Jalen 6, Jaygup10

Gordon is the vet. Tate should be able to fetch a first. Keep in mind the above is how I want it.

Silas will have Tate playing at SF and having KMJ and Eason fight for the scraps left over from Garry Bird.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

KMJ is also a 6'6 FC whereas Tate is a 6'4 combo forward - far better suited to play at the 3. KMJ is not able to do that, he is barely able to play at the 4 spot. His game is best suited to the 5, but he has significant size disadvantages on that front...

Having said that, I've been wondering how a limited minutes lineup featuring forwards of Smith and Eason and a center of Martin might fare? Martin would bring that weakside rim protection, and his defensive deficiencies might be better covered with more length around him. It's something worth trying out at some stage during a game?

csnerd84 and TheJuice like this.
  5. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Nows the time to experiment why niot try

6. fattz

fattz Member

Great times in the Rocket Camp. There is promising talent at every position. We have seen the lack of structure get us the talent as we failed our way to the top of the draft at an historic rate. It’s asked about our rotations / depth charts. More questions than answers on this because can our leader lead with expectations that make players accountable to the coach, team and themselves. I get excited and write up thoughts but I don’t attend practice, I am not in the locker room and most importantly not apart of the front office. What is the goal of the team?

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Silas, is that you?

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't care.

Play the better player for the Rockets. If that is Tate, I'm cool playing him. I suspect that will be the case especially with less minutes at the 4 available. If not, I'm cool playing KMJ with or without trade request.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't Martin asked to be traded?

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I should add that even though I like Tate a little more than KMJ for current roster, I hoped KMJ would have had more time last season. I like KMJ as a small ball 4 that can shoot a little and cut, and last season I wanted to see how the offense would do with 3-4 3-point threats around him. I don't see him higher in the rotation on those skills than Smith and Eason considering long term those two will likely be better than KMJ. As a 3, Gordon and Christopher are better offensive options short term and long term respectively with Tate being the better defender.

I suspect the Rockets will want to see how the team will play on defense with a defensive 3 especially with Sengun at the 5 a lot.

11. Landry's Tooth

Just my preference with data on hand today (not what I think they would do):

PG Porter / Nix / Washington
    SG Green / Gordon / Christopher / Mathews
    SG Martin / Tate / Eason / Nwaba
    PG Smith / Garuba
    C Sengun / Marjanovic

Couple notes... I'd move Gordon at the deadline to free up minutes for Christopher and either Nix or Washington.

I'd be ok moving Martin for the right offer if playing well and then plug in Eason as starter at the deadline. I just feel Eason needs more time to get his shot consistent. SL was nice butbhe wasn't facing nba defenses. The closeouts will be much rougher...

Tate sees minutes at the 4 also in the right matchups.