1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] The Higher Ceiling: Mobley or Jabari?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jun 25, 2022.

?

Who has the Higher Ceiling?

1. Jabari Smith Jr

2. Evan Mobley

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. clos4life

clos4life Member

After watching Jabari in the SL I'm certain that defense coupled with his shooting he will be more impactful than Mobley. Mind you, I actually liked Mobley as #1 last year ahead of JG during the draft, but Bari's offensive output with his excellent defensive instincts outdo Mobley's. Couple that up with our future superstar Kobe/Steph hybrid JG and we've got the building blocks for the next decade. The only area I see Mobley being better at is around the rim.

2. i3artow i3aller

Sure you were lol
    [​IMG]

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why would I not be talking about a live ball?

Ok, you got me, you must be very proud of yourself.;)

#183 jiggyfly, Jul 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Mcgrady was far more athletically gifted though. Jabari doesn't have anywhere near the springs of a young TMac.

5. i3artow i3aller

Imagine thinking Mobley's jumper and his ability to get that shot off were somehow superior to Bari's :confused::eek:

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Jabari Smith is Athletically Gifted also.

Tracy McGrady dribbling skills in One on One I think he is the Best Ever, Yes over Harden, Kobe, Jordan.

Even Kobe Bryant admitted Tracy is the Hardest to Guard.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You don't have to imagine it you can actually see it when they play, he is superior at the rim and with a dribble to the basket.

just look at the heat maps.

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Mobley could end up being the better player but I still am just totally against building a team around a center in todays NBA… tbh all I want my center to do is get rebounds play defense and be able to roll to the basket which you should be able to get almost every year in FA for the mid level exception. I just don’t see much value in having someone like Jokic as the best player on your team.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LO wut?

10. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Teams built around centers just aren’t winning championships… look at the starting centers of the past 10 NBA champions all of them are role players. A team hasn’t won a title built around a true center since Shaq was on the Lakers.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There are no true centers like Shaq so I don't know what he has to do with anything.

I just think it's crazy that you would just dismiss a player like Embid or Jokic just because they are a Center.

The only team to win building around a PG is GS so would you not pick a PG?

12. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

The last few Championships were all headlined by dudes at least 6' 11"
    Giannis Bucks
    KD Warriors
    Lebron just edged out AD for finals MVP

Only exception in the last 5 years is the Raptors of 2018.

CHAMPBOY likes this.
  13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

It’s just a team building philosophy that I believe in… I’d rather have a superstar wing and a role player at C than a superstar C and role players on the wings.

and no I wouldn’t want to build around PG either, now obviously in the draft you take best player available and figure it out later but all things equal I’d build around 2 guards and forwards before Centers and PGs.

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

None of those guys are centers… they all have other big men that play next to them because they are skilled enough to play forward. I just don’t see Mobley as being skilled enough to be able to fit another 7 footer next to him without killing spacing.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I can understand that but I am not going to pass up a talent like Embid or Jokic just because they play center.

There is no one way to build a team.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does a 7 footer have to do with anything?

If they can both hold up defensivley and not be a liability on offense it does not matter.

The Bucks just won a championship with a 7-footer and Bobby Portis playing big minutes.

17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

That’s fair I just think it makes it less likely your team wins the title if you’re built that way.

Imo building around Centers in todays NBA is like trying to build an NFL team around the run game… makes it harder to build big leads because it’s a slow play style and harder to make big comebacks for the same reasons. Also when it comes to late game your forced to put the ball in someone other than your best players hands.

18. Spooner

Spooner Member

Evan Mobley was literally the starting small forward for the Cavs. What are you talking about?

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Exactly they won built around a forward that was a star and 5’s in Lopez and Portis that are role players that just play their role.

Is Mobley going to be taking the ball at the 3 point line and beating people off the dribble in 5 years? I seriously doubt it and that’s what you need out of your best player.

CHAMPBOY likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why does Mobley have to be the best player?

You can have an Embid and a Jokic and still have other guys, You don't think Embid and Jokic could not play with Giannis?

You don't think Embid and Jokic could not fit seamlessly with GS?

Truly great players can fit anywhere regardless of position.