1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When will you begin worrying about Jabaris jumper?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Jul 15, 2022.

?

Are you worried about Jabari’s NBA shot?

1. **** yeah I am

24 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. Nope!

174 vote(s)
    87.9%
  1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So we can say he is elite defensively going by SL but we are not supposed take anything away offensively from SL?

Tari Eason played with the same guys and did so much more offensively while playing great defense so why the excuses for Smith?

my time to shine likes this.
  2. marinara

marinara Member

His shot not falling for 5 pick up games is not an issue for me no it isn’t, there’s 100s of elite shooters I can name you who did nothing in summer league.

The reason why I brought up his defensive is because that is effort and will always be there. There will be games where he goes cold shooting or isn’t at his average but the defensive ability will always be there.

Based on your Tari point who I am very high on, he won’t go the same offensive looks in a real game straight away. His bigger than everyone at summer league and most of his offense was above the rim or bully ball. He shot 2-9 3PT first game does that worry you? Doesn’t worry me.

Like Smith, Tari will be ready defensively come the real games but I don’t see him having his way getting to the rim or bullying other small forwards.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok, my guy, you have your opinion and I have mine, I had questions before he was drafted and the same questions I still have, it's ok you are not worried but you don't get to tell me what I need to be worried about.

My point about Eason was that he made it work against the same competition while Smith struggled because offensively he is reliant on mainly one thing.

Eason was not bigger than everyone and was not dependent on the bully ball but at least he can score in different ways which is my point.

4. marinara

marinara Member

We can disagree on the first point.

Im very high on Tari I love the dude but he was bullying a lot, I’d love for him to do it come the season starting but I think he’ll more transition based offence and hopefully continues to hit that corner 3.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is no Dan Langhi, but he looks ok.

DD

arno_ed and RasaqBoi like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fixed it for you

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

People are really not getting it. Jabari's defense is looking elite the way - on the inverse side of things - a scorer's offense would look if they were AVERAGING 30+ points AND 8+ assists in the summer league on great percentages. He looked like he could teach defense to 100% of players in the summer league. The calmness and confidence with which he defends usually takes half a decade to develop, and he's one of the youngest guys in the NBA.

He's going to be a killer 3pt shooter for sure. If he develops ANY counter offensive move, he will be worth the max already. Could be passing, midrange or driving. Even a post game would allow him to punish smaller, quicker defenders who might otherwise be able to chase him around the perimeter. Watch one interview and tell me this guy won't develop a counter move.

I bet on our guy. He's our second superstar. Jalen and Jabari is a dream pairing on offense, they need and compliment each other perfectly. If they have chemistry on the pick and pop/roll, we're soooooooooooooo good.

#187 Mathloom, Jul 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Preach, brother, for they do not understand.

J_Hunter_1977, burlesk and Mathloom like this.
  9. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Too busy right now, will get to it when I can, no promises.

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Can we see who the 20 people were who voted that they were worried? I would prefer hide those guys. I got no time for “the sky is falling” posters…

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Oh wow stand back we got a keyboard warrior here

Oh man everyone stand back I'm sooooo scared

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if only we had a beefing posters thread :cool:

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Halfway through next year . But I would also really want to see him get hot at least a few times this year .

sunner league doesn’t count

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

not picking on you but we should start a trend of not listening to players Daddy’s

**** lavar ball

16. Spooner

Spooner Member

I don’t want to be too critical of Jabari but it’s a larger sample size than summer league. There is too much variance in his game to game numbers in college when it comes to shooting percentages. Just as in summer league where he shot an abysmal percentage half the games, he did the same in college, mixed with games where he was hot. There are many games including his one tournament game, where he took the most field goal attempts on the team and shot the ball below 20% from the field. This should not happen ever. I am very encouraged by the defense he looks like a legit anchor but even then, it is against SL competition.

The shooting however is problematic. If you are a focal point of an offense you need to find ways to generate offense efficiently if and when the shot doesn’t fall. Shooting below 20% from the field would not happen with a more diversified offense. Getting to the rim needs to be a priority moving forward if he wants to generate consistent efficient offense. We need to understand that he was historically bad at that for a player his size. Let’s not sugarcoat it. I just have trouble with a guy who needs the ball in his spots in the year 2022 and excels at shooting through people instead of generating efficient looks. It just doesn’t scream efficiency to me and we have no idea how nba length mixed with a larger 3 point arc will affect him. You don’t need to burn a #3 pick on a guy to simply hit open shots. The defense is very nice though in summer league.

The whole problem I had with debating people about the prospects last month was the assumption that Banchero would possibly be good if he puts it together over time but there is no way to tell for sure while Jabari was already Klay Thompson no question about it. Deandre Hunter actually won DPOY in college and shot a much, much better percentage than Jabari in college. Who is Deandre Hunter now? Most people would be happy with a DPOY who shoots 40% from 3. IF and it’s a big if, Jabari reaches that threshold, we would have effectively drafted Mikal Bridges #3 overall which is fine, but that ceiling doesn’t get me as excited as a lot of people here apparently.

#196 Spooner, Jul 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    Calvin Murphy's Law likes this.
  17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

This. And he is 19. This idea of him not being able to develop that aspect of his game us weird.

Should Sengun and Victor not end up the future at center, I could see Smith growing another inch or 2 and actually just taking over at center.

Hakeemtheking and Mathloom like this.
  18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

This is gonna be a looooong 3 months.

glimmertwins and RocketWalta like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That was nothing like Lavar Ball he was actually giving a critique about his son and not blaming everybody else.

What does he gain from saying what he said it was not look at me like Lavar.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Generally elite defensive guys who are also pluses on offense is not NEAR as exciting as elite offensive guys who are barely average on defense but I think you would find most championship teams require a mix of the two. Setting aside the fact that we took best available, I think Smith even with a "just hit open shots & play elite defense" ceiling(and I think realistically that is his floor and he is capable of much more in time) is contextually a very important and rare piece to our roster because it pairs two elite players who complement each other's games so well. I think the offense is running through Green, Sengun, and to a lesser extent KPJ with virtually any other player in the draft this year aside from maybe Banchero. Smith has the type of game to play off those guys nicely and while I am doubtful he ever turns into an ISO scoring machine, I think it's highly likely he becomes effective as a guy who gets the ball and can make a play fairly consistently either shooting it in people's face or countering with a one or two dribble move to get a better shot(which is very young Klay Thompson)....best case scenario he grows his game similar to Khris Middleton(who similarly came out of college with a sweet stroke,a need to get to his mid range spots and shoot over people,and poor ball handling/ISO skills)...and if that happens you got a real all star at that point.

So drafting a high end 3&d wing/big hybrid as a floor or a multi year all star wing/big hybrid as a ceiling - that IS something to be excited about I think regardless of what you think about Jabari's future given we didn't have the choice of taking our picks of the best this year's class had to offer.

Easy, J_Hunter_1977 and Spooner like this.