1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coack K to the Lakers??

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MadMax, Jul 1, 2004.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ESPN Radio just reported that the Lakers are in "serious discussions" with Coach K. Apparently Duke is about to have a news conference, as well....

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/7465406
    Lakers in 'serious discussions' with Duke's Krzyzewski
    July 1, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The Los Angeles Lakers are in "serious discussions" with Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski about their coaching vacancy.

Krzyzewski, a Hall of Fame coach, has led the Blue Devils to three national championships in almost a quarter-century at the school. He informed school officials that the Lakers had contacted him about the job, Duke athletic director Joe Alleva said Thursday.

Krzyzewski was not available for comment, the school said. A message left with Lakers spokesman John Black was not immediately returned.

Alleva said he and Duke president Richard Brodhead recently had dinner with Krzyzewski and told the coach they wanted him to finish his career at Duke.

"We have long believed that Mike is the best coach in the country," Alleva said in the statement. "The Lakers' interest in him merely confirms what we have known."

Krzyzewski has compiled a 621-179 record in 24 seasons at Duke, leading the Blue Devils to NCAA championships in 1991, 1992 and 2001. Under Krzyzewski, the Blue Devils have 10 Final Four appearances, eight Atlantic Coast Conference tournament championships and 10 conference regular-season titles.

His Duke teams have been ranked No. 1 in 12 different seasons, including each of the last seven years.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Coach K for the Lakes -- after saying 'no' so many times to so many teams over so many years?

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

God i hope not.

Coach K belongs at Duke, nowhere else.

5. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

This is just crazy. Rudy, Riley and now coach K? Who's next? Chuck Daly? John Wooden? Hubbie Brown? ...oh, wait...

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

So Rudy's is not in LA picking out his assistants? Maybe, Rudy walked when it was apparent that Shaq would not play for the Lakers next year no matter what.

7. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I could not be more happy that Rudy won't be taking the coaching job in LA.

I'm looking forward to having a third team to root for, after the Rockets and, recently, the Magic.

Keep Rudy out of LA.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Ditto. Couldn't live w/ myself seeing him working w/ the Lakers.

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Wow

I can imagine Coach K coaching there

But I can't imagine Duke w-out Coach K

10. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Jim Gray reporting on ESPN that the Lakers have the offer on the table.

I believe both Kobe and Shaq would leave instead of having a fresh-outta-college guy coach them.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I hope Coach K goes to LA. I am selfish and just cant stand to see Rudy T coach there.

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I would have to think if Coach K was offered the job that the Lakers would have Kobe's blessing. Again that' sjust my opinion I have no idea if it is true, but just can't imagine teh Lakers not consulting with the guy they want to build their franchise around.

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

like i said earlier, i pray to God that Coach K doesnt go to lala land. Duke would never be the same. what about Camp K? it just wouldnt be right, especially since its the lakers :mad:

here's to hoping he stays at Duke.

14. 2Cleva

2Cleva Member

Kobe is friends with Coach K. Would have went to Duke if he didn't go straight to the league. Kobe definitely would be all aboard with Coach K.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Jim Rome was saying on his show that Coach K was saying that the NBA was ruining the College Game but I never heard his actual tirade on the subject. Did anyone here what he had to say?

On a side note, this is shaping up to be one of the most exciting NBA off seasons in recent memory. The Rockets and the Magic, the Lakers, maybe Dallas, are all making significant changes and it is just getting started.

16. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I believe that Kobe was going to Duke to play for Coach K before he decided to turn pro. Same deal as that Shaun Llivingston kid from Illinois who went to the Clippers (?), I think.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I like coach K and wouldn't want him coaching the lakers but...if he does...i hope he'll have some kind of success...unlike his fellow college-to-pros coach colleagues

18. micah1j

micah1j Member

If K is smart he will use this to squeeze more money out of Duke. He would be crazy to go to LA. Pro players control (Kobe) everything, don't listen or don't like to be coached. LA is falling apart. He loves College BB. There would be a high probablility of failure. The money is the only positive I can see.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Keep in mind, Kobe controls the Lakers now. Anything the Lakers do from here on out is with Kobe's FULL blessing.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Good, it keeps Rudy away from the evil empire.