1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jazz in dysfunction

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Feb 26, 2020.

1. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Ainge is a genius at getting teams to wildly overpay. Mitchell has been overhyped his entire career because he has a high usage rate playing for a mediocre team. He's like Iverson and Westbrook -- makes tough shots but has fundamental flaws that limit his ability to beat good teams. The only reason these lopsided trades are even being considered is because the Knicks are idiots, and NBA media are trying to talk them into it. Ainge has an amazing understanding of just how stupid they are.

2. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

Mitchell is basically the guard version of Carmelo Anthony, though not as good--a scorer who gives you basically nothing else. Basically the perfect Knicks franchise player. Won't push you much closer to a title, but should put butts in the seats.

3. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Yup this, though at least he has a better attitude. He's just not good enough. He's close to what Eric Gordon was in his early career, before his injuries. Solid player but way behind the true #1 options.

TheJuice likes this.
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Doesn't seem to me the Jazz are in dysfunction at all.

I call it smart to let teams overpay for their assets.

Go ahead NY, get you a another ticket to perpetual future mediocrity with Donovan.

A short term splash followed later by regret is their M.O.

Jontro and Plowman like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Meanwhile, eyes and ears around the league also remain fixated on the Utah Jazz and New York Knicks engaging in trade talks surrounding Mitchell. The Knicks’ asset pool — up to eight first-round draft picks and young players such as Quentin Grimes, Immanuel Quickley and Obi Toppin — gives them a clear opportunity to acquire Mitchell, but sources say talks so far have moved slowly and the sides are far from an agreement. With three years guaranteed remaining on Mitchell’s contract, the Jazz are not operating with a sense of urgency and have the time to evaluate the best offers for the 25-year-old.

Mitchell has spent the summer in his usual offseason routine: high-intensity workouts and time with his family and friends. Sources said the three-time NBA All-Star has not requested a trade or attempted to force his way out of Utah, but should the franchise move toward a full rebuild a competitor like Mitchell would prefer to be in an environment geared toward winning now, not later.

Along with New York, several other teams have expressed interest to the Jazz when it comes to Mitchell, such as Washington, Miami, Toronto, Charlotte, Sacramento and Atlanta, according to sources.

Like Brooklyn, the Jazz have held firm on setting a high bar on any potential Mitchell deal, and they expect to be patient throughout the process. For now, the Jazz will continue to evaluate incoming calls and seek ways to balance their roster.

— Shams

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  6. R94

R94 Member

I can’t get over Mitchell’s b**** ass fake injury after he got stripped against the Rockets in the playoffs.

7. i3artow i3aller

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You're giving Ainge too much credit. He'll do a move where he gets lucks lucky and remain idle for the next 10 years

9. i3artow i3aller

10. i3artow i3aller

11. i3artow i3aller

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

After several weeks of no conversations, the New York Knicks and Utah Jazz recently re-engaged in trade talks centered on Donovan Mitchell, sources tell The Athletic.

The Knicks and Jazz had a fresh trade conversation within the past week about potential packages for Mitchell, according to sources. There is no traction between the two teams on a deal, and no Mitchell trade is imminent for the Jazz, sources said. The Charlotte Hornets and Washington Wizards are also among the teams pursuing Mitchell, those sources said.

Now, with training camp just over one month away, the sides have re-ignited talks. Hurdles toward a deal remain.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3526628/2022/08/22/kevin-durant-donovan-mitchell-trade-talk-shams/

The Jazz and Knicks are in discussions on a trade that would send Donovan Mitchell to New York, according to sources. A deal is not considered imminent yet, but the Knicks are motivated to acquire Mitchell and have proposed new packages to Utah’s new front office led by CEO Danny Ainge.

New York made a recent offer of Evan Fournier, Obi Toppin, additional salary and two unprotected first-round draft picks (five total), league sources tell me and The Athletic’s Tony Jones. The Jazz’s asking price has been more significant than that.

Mitchell has three guaranteed years left on his contract, allowing the Jazz to bring him into the upcoming campaign and take a patient approach to trade discussions. The Charlotte Hornets and Washington Wizards have been among the teams interested in Mitchell as well, sources said.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Unprotected lotto picks are a red flag but when you consider how a monkey picking stocks has a better 20 year track record than Knicks FO, maybe it's a fair deal in the eyes of the Knicks?

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Obi toppin and 2 1sts even if unprotected doesn't seem like an overpay for an all-star caliber guard age 26.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

La..kers? They're really feeling themselves as a trade destination. Like, "The Nets picked up the phone when we called about Kyrie, so we can probably get anyone we want. We just need to keep James, Davis and our two first-round picks."

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. i3artow i3aller

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Brian Windhorst, Tim MacMahon, Tim Bontemps
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/5uSMN3HI04hjEQATjQZyuD

BW: Jazz want a deal before training camp. Jazz are trying to apply the gas, juice the offers.

TM: They’re trying to get the Knicks to put together an offer it’ll take to get Mitchell on the team before training camp.

BW: Knicks, Heat are a team with interest, reported the Hornets and Wizards have interest and can confirm the Cavs have talked to the Jazz in the last week. You look at those teams, the most valuable thing you can get is the Knicks unprotected draft picks. I don’t know if Washington/Charlotte have the firepower to make a trade. The Cavs can offer 3 unprotected firsts. They won’t give Evan Mobley or Darius Garland. I heard Jarrett Allen is unavailable. Those 3 guys, heard they told the Jazz they’re unavailable. Everything else is available. …

TM: My guess this gets done close to the start of camp and he ends up in New York.