1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

~{ James Harden's Philadelphia 76ers }~

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ThatBoyNick, Feb 10, 2022.

1. Asian Sensation

"I had conversations with [team president] Daryl [Morey], and it was explained how we could get better and what the market value was for certain players. I told Daryl to improve the roster, sign who we needed to sign and give me whatever is left over," Harden told Yahoo Sports. "This is how bad I want to win. I want to compete for a championship. That's all that matters to me at this stage. I'm willing to take less to put us in position to accomplish that."

Harden fanbois keep crowning and praising Harden for taking a pay cut. Would he have been happy or signed if there was only $10 or $15 million left over? No and no. Harden got the best deal available for him which was $68 million guaranteed over 2 years with an option for the second year as opposed to $47 million for one year so it was a win-win deal for him and Philly. Still make more guaranteed overall and give the team a little flexibility while looking like a hero. Truth is It was hardlly a huge sacrifice on his end after his pathetic performance and another unceremonious exit from the playoffs he had.

Milos, LosPollosHermanos and Salvy like this.
  2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Not everyone has the luxury of playing for Golden State Warriors whose payroll is 3 times larger than any other team. If only Harden got to play with an owner willing to spend that kinda money.

Heck if Lebron had that his whole career he wouldn't have moved around soo much and Probsbly has 10 rings.

3. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I am not claiming you are slow, I am acknowledging it. I will dumb this down for you. The discussion was about James taking a pay cut relative to his maximum salary allowable. Would you take a pay cut to work at the same type of company, if everything else is the same? I would not. James is taking a pay cut to be on a team that is comparable to his historical teams, aka a MEDIOCRE roster when compared to what he has had in the past. In the past he has had a roster with KD and Kyrie, he has had a full and complete team with a prime PJ Tucker, Ariza, CP3, Clint , etc , he also last year had a team with Embiid, Maxey, Toby, etc, essentially a very similar team that is comparable with no superstars added, except now he is taking a pay cut to bring back the same players he had from years ago (PJ, House, and potentially EG or the like). Again Mediocre means AVERAGE... so this is an AVERAGE James Harden team It really is not that hard to understand. Your simple mind can only grasp Mediocre as being relative to the rest of the league, but using our employment analogy, would you care about what everyone else in the country is making across every type of job , OR would you look at what you have made and what applies to your specific career? Negotiating a salary decrease to bring back the same guys you had 3 years ago is pathetic.

"you never acknowledge that Embid had an orbital fracture last year that's not an injury that's chronic." LMAO dude its not chronic, but yet he had the EXACT same injury on the other eye which took him out of the playoffs in prior seasons. Appreciate you solidifying my point that he is always injured.

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

BRO. Tilly bought out Wall. Dude DOES SPEND MONEY.

herp derp. Or whatever those who don't understand context say.

It really is amazing no one else in the NBA who couldn't touch the Warriors, really gets the hate Harden does just because he dared challenge them.

jerryclark likes this.
  5. ksny15

ksny15 Member

It's crazy how PJ was a bad signing just because Harden landed him. Multiple teams wanted him for essentially the same price point too. Milwaukee and Miami both wanted him. But yeah he landed with Harden so it's a terrible signing. 37 year old PJ Tucker is just terrible.

You are just a delusional Harden hater if you can't aknowledge Phili is vastly improved over last year. They literally had no playable players on the bench. Thybulle will be regulated to the bench and will play spot minutes against elite offensive teams which is a great roll for him. Melton is a fantastic pickup. He gives them great defense, very good rebounding for his size and his 3 point shot is solid. We all know House is a solid price and Reed looks like he is ready to for the back up C roll.

They went from having 0 players off the bench to having 3 dudes who for sure can get minutes in the playoffs off the bench and possibly 4 with Reeds development.

Boston
    Phili
    Milwaukee
    Mimai

Air Canada, jerryclark and jiggyfly like this.
  6. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Tucker and House signings aint getting sixers threw Giannis /Bucks. Sorry Harden.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I hope the Nets are good this year.

Clock is ticking Jimmy

8. Asian Sensation

Harden literally started off last season playing for a team that had a payroll which was only $4 million less than the Warriors.

It’s always excuses with Harden fanbois. He was injured, cheap owner, teammates suck, he was tired, the coach sucks, no help, he had a concussion, it’s the Kardashian curse, he’s still mourning Kobe’s death, he’s not getting calls.

It’s never his fault though and he’s the unluckiest guy in NBA history right?

Salvy likes this.
  9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Clearly fake, but 100% relatable. At least skyeep is getting paid I guess.
    [​IMG]

ksny15 likes this.
  10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Buying out Wall is spending money? I always take any buyout as saving money.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

What you've failed to consider is the role that 37 year old PJ Tucker will play on the Sixers versus the Bucks/Heat. Both the Bucks and Heat have excellent defensive players and team defense. Philly doesn't. That means 37 year old Tucker will have to play a significantly greater defensive role on the Sixers than he would've with the Heat/Bucks.

Philly isn't vastly improved over last year. I can't imagine Thybulle, Melton, or House providing much support in the playoffs.

Thybulle can't shoot, and after Morant's injury, Melton couldn't find consistent minutes.

12. i3artow i3aller

13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Do you know how payrolls work? The Warriors are the highest spending team in the history of the NBA. They have to pay an insane amount in repeater luxury tax. This year they will be the highest spending team in history of all professional sports.

Makes building a team with chemistry a lot easier when your owner is willing to overpay for role players.

There is blame to go around for why his team never reached the ultimate goal. No one is saying he is free from blame. But besides that first year we had CP3 the Rockets pretty much over achieved every year we had Harden. Maybe his style prevented better players from joining the rockets. Maybe he should be more buddy buddy with other stars and try to recruit. But to label him as a choker and not a winner is just dead wrong.

Considering your god Steph couldn't even make the playoffs without his other stars.is he really that good or is the team just that good.

#3313 RHU525, Jul 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  14. Milos

Milos Member

15. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Pay cut my ass. Morey signed PJ Tucker to please Harden. He was missing his fashion and partying buddy. And I have no clue how House upgrades the team. Morey's deal-making is quite questionable these days.

16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You're forgetting that the only reason the owner is willing to go deep in the luxury tax is b/c the GSW core has proven itself to be a winner.

Maybe in the regular season, but certainly not in the postseason.

17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Overachieving in the regular season is the only reason people thought we could win. He raised expectations even though our teams were really not that great. I guess Dame hit a three the very first year we had Dwight. That might be the only time we lost as a higher seed beside CP3 injury.

Rocket River likes this.
  18. ksny15

ksny15 Member

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Air Canada likes this.
  19. ksny15

ksny15 Member

20. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Warriors would have 0 rings if brokeman fertita was owner