1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Do you think the Rockets should tank or try to win?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Jul 17, 2022.

?

What do you want the Rockets to do this season?

1. Win and shoot for playoffs/play in. Fill out roster with Free Agents.

2. Lose as much as possible for another high draft pick.

3. Lose organically while still experimenting. Aim for a decently high draft pick.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

well we walked away with Jabari who most people mocked to go first even before the Magic won the lottery and kept talking about him and we got Green, who many people see the most upside in going forward… we have a legitimate core of young players thanks to our draft positions. And even if we don’t get Victor, adding another top 5 talent may be worth it. I don’t like intentionally losing, it might be best forbore future.

2. PatBev

PatBev Member

I don’t know much about this Victor kid but his offensive numbers look pretty bad

Is he really a “generational talent” or a defensive point forward/center?

Let the kids play and see where we land but if Tate is starting we are obviously strategically tanking

ApacheWarrior and theDude like this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Its Euroleague. Luka averaged like 9ppg for his Euroleague career

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

But when you put it in context Luka was born in 1999.....first season
    he was 15 years old. Those early years bring down his average.

How Chet does will be like a barometer stick to guage how
    Wembanyama does. Both are rail thin and Doncic came
    into the league at 230 pounds.

From what I hear, Wembanyama outplayed Chet head-to-head
    in their meetings in international play. If Chet gets pushed
    around then more than likely Wembanyama will as well first year.
    If Chet plays great.....then in theory, Wembanyama might be better.

5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Exactly….it’s more important these kids (and coaches) learn how to win and not develop a losing mentality all for the sake of moving up 3-5 spots in a lottery draft. Stone has shown he can pick just as well at #7-9 as #3-5. Kuminga, Sharpe , etc. would be fine with Green and Smith. Bad habits form with continuous losing….very bad for young players.

bleedroxred79 likes this.
  6. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

NOTHING guarantees the top spot, it's best to let our core play and add pieces that make sense financially and strategically. It makes no sense to push for a hard tank this year IMO. EGO will eventually go for a first and we also have Milwaukee's pick.

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No reason to go for a hard tank, but no reason to add middlin’ vets either. Just play the youngsters and try to win with them. My guess is we win between 25-30 games this year just from improved defense without going out and getting vets.

Corrosion and bleedroxred79 like this.
  8. Caesar

Caesar Member

Chet has a Shawn Bradley build that looks weak to build muscle on
    [​IMG]
    Wemby has big broad shoulders and more proportional like a young Lew
    [​IMG]
    And Wemby who's still listed at 7'3 may actually be closer to 7'5 now in shoes compared to 7'2 barefoot Lew/Kareem
    [​IMG]
    Obviously he's not quiet young Lew build with the strong neck and muscle tone and looks like a 6'8 elite athlete who was photo enlarged to 7'2. Victor looks like a kid who grew freakishly tall too fast and needs more time to fill out, but the proportions are there. He's probably grown 2+" in a short span so his body is still adapting. Just look at the progress he's already made from 2019 to 2022. He's already increasing mass, by age 21 he could be Mobley's size muscle mass wise.
    Maybe i'm over hyping him along with nearly everyone else including Popovich who's clearly all in on the tank for him(i think we should trust his player evaluation).
    I miss Yao, with the good and the flaws. I would go through it all over again so if Wemby has a Yao like career, sign me up.

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

We shoulda been trying to chase every win we could the last couple of years instead of tanking. All that losing and no #1 pick either year?

We coulda been building a perennial play in pushover around Davion Mitchell and Dyson Daniels instead of a legit duo of Green and Smith, but we wouldn’t have the stink of intentional losing on us.

larsv8 likes this.
  10. Caesar

Caesar Member

Oh and notice Wembz and Chet's kneecaps in that photo, nearly same height, but the rest of the proportion, Chets upper leg looks shrunken with a long upper torso. Check out Wilt and Kareem's leg proportions-really long legs and shorter upper torso. Wembz is closer to their high school builds than Shawn Bradley, or Manute Bol.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Try to win with the young guys.

If they win, great, you know you have your core and can start building from there. If they suck...well, we'll be adding another top pick. This is the only option.

Sure you'll have a vet on the team here and there to smack the young boys upside the head when they choose to party instead of practice or to teach the young fellas about gold diggers...other than that, play the young guys, see how much they are able to win, let that come naturally.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Victor has an actual injury history unlike Chet

If he’s actually closer to 7’5 then how many players that height stay healthy? Especially when they’re expected to do more than just catch lobs and dunk?

Luka won Euroleague MVP his final year there and averaged 16, 5, and 4 on 45/33/82 splits playing 26 mpg

Victor is coming off 7, 4, and 2 blocks a game on 35/30/67 splits…as the next KD-AD hybrid and the alleged best prospect since Lebron, we’ll see how he does this upcoming year

PatBev likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Jalen Green's 1st year - 20 wins
    Jalen Green's 2nd year + Jabari Smith Jr's 1st - X wins
    Jalen Green's 3rd year + Jabari (2nd year) + 2023 Lottery FRP = Profit.

Caesar and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  14. Caesar

Caesar Member

Let's not forget Scoot Henderson too. I love Alpy and a lot of yall love KPj, so I get it when the 2 best prospects could replace them although I think Jabari can easily play the 3 as a klay catch and shoot type on O and elite perimeter defense which puts Sengun at PF where he sizes up better at and Wemby at the 5 with Sengun acting as a 5 on O much in the way Duncan really was a 5- Wembz and Bari stretching the court- Wembz attacking off the dribble as well. Tari 6th man of the year(the same role i think would be perfect for KPj if Scoot was drafted to be the new pg)

15. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I voted for
    Lose organically while still experimenting. Aim for a decently high draft pick.
    but I really want this:
    Win or Lose organically while still experimenting. Aim for a decently high draft pick or sneak into the playoffs depending on how the team progresses/grows together.

16. PatBev

PatBev Member

Scoot can earn that starting spot over KPJ lol

If KPJ shows improvement in decision making, consistency, & defense, I would have Scoot come off the bench his first two seasons to really make a playoff push

KPJ/Scoot/Tyty
    Green/Christopher
    Tari/Tate
    Jabari/KMJ
    Sengun/free agent

That could be a young playoff team

Caesar likes this.
  17. marinara

marinara Member

Rockets aren’t good enough to win lol

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think option 3 means they aren't bad enough to lose. So FO or punching bag Silas needs to tip that scale and "artificially" stink up the septic tank.

19. marinara

marinara Member

Team is 2 years into a rebuild. Anyone expecting them to actually go out there and win games is just delusional imo.

20. PatBev

PatBev Member

Tate starting would be the obvious sign we are intentionally tanking