1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

Who told them to buy a used EV right now….a Ford Focus EV at that lol

“She told the news outlet that the car stoppedrunning after taking it to a repair shop”
    What did they do to it??

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The entire thing sounds fishy.

Ford Focus had a EV in 2014?

Can you imagine what kind of repair shop they took that car to it probably just blew a fuse.

But seriously they can probably get a refurbished battery for much cheaper these days.

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

marky :), jchu14 and Dr of Dunk like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

5. Salvy

Salvy Member

I only drive stick, so unless they make an electric stick shift.... Never

6. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Blazer EV announcement https://electrek.co/2022/07/18/2024-chevy-blazer-ev/

I am neither super impressed nor disappointed

GOOD
    - I really like the styling, inside and out. I like how there are still knobs for infotainment.
    - Offers a variety of drivetrain configs (RWD, FWD, AWD) and ranges
    - 190kw charging should be fine, depending on the charge curve

BAD
    - Price is about $5k more than I was hoping. Starting at $45k for the base trim is pretty expensive for only 247 miles of range. The base trim won't even come until Q1 2024. You're gonna have to go to the RS for $52k if you want decent features.

Nothing about it really grabs my attention as a step forward in this space. It's nice to have another option next year, but I don't think it moves the needle in terms of mass adoption. I was hoping GM would disrupt pricing like how they dropped the prices on the 2023 Bolt.

7. Pringles

Pringles Member

Heavily considering the Genesis GV60 next year. Any general thoughts about it?

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's too small/cutesy for me, but I posted a Redline Reviews review of it on the previous page. I like the Genesis ICE design language, and it carries over to the EV, but I'm going to wait for more real world reviews on it after a year or so before I really have an opinion (just like with other EVs). It's got a neat bedazzled gear selector. lol. :D

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man. Those Rivian trucks are ****ing ugly, dude. Lolz.

Avoided this thread mostly but that Hyundia looks dope.

[​IMG]

jchu14 likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Real world Rivian review. This is a real world review and some things you may encounter in said real world. The stuff they run into is what I'm always worried about being more of a "long haul" driver who drives on road trips and country roads. The Electrify America charging network can be sketchy on such trips. They've got other Rivian, Mach E, Tesla, etc. videos, but they are Tesla fans, so take some of it with a grain of salt. Still some good info on there and they seem fairly unbiased (I think) :

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hey, cool 1980s De Tomaso Pantera. :D

Ziggy likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Cyberpunk 1984

Ziggy likes this.
  13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Pretty soon we're going to be jailbreaking our cars to unlock subscription features.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Can't wait... a 2-3 ton vehicle under the influence of malware. lol

Sajan likes this.
  15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'm worried about ransomware. Rig stops in the middle of nowhere and you have to send some guy in Russia $500 worth of Target gift cards before you can move again.

dmoneybangbang and jiggyfly like this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

It’s already under the influence of human malware. have you look around brah??

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Ford going all in.

jchu14 likes this.
  18. jchu14

dmoneybangbang and jiggyfly like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Aptera looks interesting, but not sure about how safe it'll be in real world conditions. Prob not recommended for potholes or semi off road things.

20. jchu14

It's interesting technology demo, but I can't see any way this would become anything more than a curious oddity. Here are the problems I see:

- Price, even though it's only $26k, that's only cheap compared to a full sized car. You're likely making sacrifices in safety, comfort (the seating recline position looks awful for long distance), and utility. I think Aptera should be competing for customers that's considering an e-bike for commuting, not a full size car.

- Range, I think they need to decrease range and battery pack size. There is no way someone would want to drive this vehicle for 300 miles at a time. Go with a smaller 100 mile range with 10kwh battery and drastically drop the weight and price.

- Size, this may be unavoidable because of aerodynamics, but the car is unexpectedly big. It's as long and tall as a Corolla, but significantly wider (88" for the Aptera, 70" for the Corolla not including mirrors). So it won't be a super city car that can fit everywhere.

- Solar charging is neat, but a gimmick for most people unless you really have no way to charge the vehicle. If the Aptera is as efficient as they claim, then it should only consume 1500 kwh per year driving 15,000 miles. That's only $250-400 per year in electricity cost. How much cheaper and lighter would the vehicle be without the solar panels?

Still cool, but I would be genuinely surprised if it ever goes on sale to general public. The company has been around a long time and still no production vehicles yet.

Invisible Fan likes this.