1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We ALL know Tate is but

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Jul 18, 2022.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

What about Sengun? Should he be on the bench, similar to Tate or is he a starter? Is he big enough and athletic enough to start?

I've always thought he should be a 6th or 7th man coming off the bench but the Rockets feels as though he's a starter. So, I'll roll with their decision but what do you think?

Corrosion and snowconeman22 like this.
  2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

On this team, he should be a starter. On competitive he wouldn't be, at least not yet. He has the potential to be way more than just a starter, but that will rely on him increasing his efficiency from deep at the very least.

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Well who else would start ?

He’s gonna start I want him to start . If the defense is still a huge issue halfway through then we can change it up

glimmertwins and javal_lon like this.
  4. conquistador#11

It's such a demanding position that teams with playoffs on their minds wouldn't start him.
    Joker didn't start full time til his 3rd season.
    Capela turned 23 until he finally logged more than 26 minutes a game.

Do we have Pllllaaaayooooffs? on our minds?

Sengun should start.

Jontro, Richie_Rich and Deckard like this.
  5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I imagine both Tate and Sengun start.

vince, Boki4MvP and DrNuegebauer like this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think both are average for their positions but we're thinking Playoffs, at one of those positions; SF or C, we need an above average player.

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

He should definitely start this year and I hope he improves to All-Star quality in the next few years.

Its going to be exciting to see these young guys grow and improve together.

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Whether you think he's Jokic 2.0 , which he isn't, or the next Bargagni, which he's not, he clearly deserves a shot at starting... Folks saying he should be the offensive initiater and future MVP are clearly delusional... but if he can be an annual 15/10/5 for this particular roster makeup, that would be huge!.. He'll have his 20/15/7 games sprinkled with some 10/8/4 games ... That's all you can ask for a 2nd yr big..

King1 and maj21 like this.
  9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

And that probably is the future Sengun!

You undervalue the current Sengun, but more interestingly the room for improvement you see in Sengun is similar to what you see in Tate. That does not make much sense.

arabrocket and Zen Tabak like this.
  10. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think the additions of Smith and Eason make Sengun more acceptable as a starting center. Those guys have the quickness, length and bulk to help cover for Sengun's defensive shortcomings.

11. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Definitely. We'll have a better evaluation of his defense this year when he gets more consistent minutes with better defenders.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  12. conquistador#11

If he can average 15/10/5 shooting 48% that means with 4 more FGAs he could easily average 19/10/5, 2 more points than the cool new projection feature on Basketball reference has him averaging. I would want that by year 3. He'll turn 20 in 7 days or so.

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Given we are more about exploring team dynamics and growing the capabilities of our future core than winning this year, we are definitely going to start him(or at least give him way more minutes). We honestly don't want to be "good" this year - we just want to show development progress, learn more about our players, and have a better idea of what role everyone will have in the future core of this team. Obviously, Sengun's future role largely depends on his ability to play good enough defense to supplement the things we know he brings on the offensive end as a passer. Last year he was mostly doing things against other team's second units - this year will be the real test. Good or bad, once he shows whether he can play good enough defense or rebound well enough against starters (both are legit concerns), it will impact how we draft, who we prioritize in free agency, etc....but yeah - every minute this year needs to be about evaluating and growing our own talent - if that means we find EGo a new team, then so be it.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Down the stretch Sengun was starting and playing 30 mins. He was playing against starters and his numbers across the board improved including him committing less fouls. He is going to be really, really good this year.

fattz and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We all know Tate is what??

From what you wrote, it appears you are suggesting Tate is off the bench?
    I'd be surprised if he isn't a starter. More likely Gordon comes off the bench

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He's channeling his inner Poe.
    We ALL know that Tate is but ... a dream within a dream.

17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Tate should be a 7-8 man of the bench. He should not be a starter. For this team to be able to reach the playoffs, I don't think we can have both Sengun and Tate starting.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't understand the OP. Him not basketball, in my humble opinion. Not round. Him square.

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I think Sengun is crafty.

Will benefit from Green/Porter/Tari/Jabari
    3-pt shooting potentially....now Sengun can work
    the post area.

Nobody had space in the lane last year with Tate, Kenyon and Sengun struggling last year from 3.
    Hopefully they are more proficient this year.

Sengun has two lengthy players now to help cover his defensive flaws better. Still a work in progress but Tari/Bari can help Sengun a lot. Switch in space and keep Sengun nearer to the rim

fattz likes this.
  20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member