1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Hasn't even played ONE regular season GAME yet, but already has more team sanctioned/provided massages in 1 month than Deshaun Watson had over the course of years...LOL.

Sorry....couldn't resist...

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

3. maj21

maj21 Member

If peak Jabari is 15/8/3 on 40% from 3, as well as a DPOY caliber defender, we absolutely nailed the pick. I don’t need him to be KD and average 30. He’s gonna change our team so much. Don’t be surprised if we’re picking 8th-10th next draft. This team is gonna get after it

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

No way they are picking 8-10th. They have the 10th worst record but they will get a top 4 pick because of luck. ;)

Drift Monkey, xaos, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Pretty much what I said earlier. Jabari's defense is special. You just don't see it often. The scary thing is that it can get better once he gains 15 lbs of muscle. Think Ottis Thorpe physique with catlike quickness.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I somewhat agree with the conclusions but definitely dont agree with the plays presented. Like he didn't "miss" TyTy on the first play - that would have been a difficult and likely bad pass imo. But if he's not hitting that long pullup jumper indeed it is stupid. On the second play he ABSOLUTELY gives the ball up too soon, he needed one more dribble in. But again, conversely, I disagree with the second part of the analysis... he could have hit a retreating TyTy who didn't right then have a defender clearly on him but that would have been an awkward catch for TyTy again and I think the shot he took over the defender is actually a better (much) one than the kick out to Lamb, as he had JUST done that to no effect and with his height it should be an easy convert. I'm not advocating for a return to 90s basketball, but we need to get past the mindset that just because a guy might be kind of open in the corner for a 3 its a better shot than a 6'11 dude over a much shorter guy 3 feet from the rim.

More to the point, the problems to me seem to be:
    #1-#10: hitting shots [tbd how this turns out]
    #2: work on dribbling - that's why he passed the one pass way too soon
    #3: long long jumpers - hitting these at a decent clip or not, unless he's COMPLETELY open, these should be few and far between. I don't think he took a ton of these though, like he tried 1 a game and failed each time... but tbf he didn't fail at these in college, so speaks mostly to #1-#10 above

jiggyfly and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. JayZ750

His defense was SO MUCH better than anticipated. Like truly amazing.

His shooting was SO MUCH worse than anticipated. Like truly deflating.

Unfortunately, offense drives views and opinions more than defense. This isn't just a media thing, or random fan thing... its a ME thing, and YOU thing. It's WAY WAY easier to gauge "well, he hit 40% of his threes... JACKPOT!" then it is defense. That he was so CLEARLY amazing on defense speaks even more to how impactful he was on defense.

But it will still be "forever" a disappointment if the dude can't shoot. I know that (1) this is still HIGHLY unlikely, and (2) even if he is never more than average shooter, he's still an impactful player because of how good his defense is and he'd be smart enough eventually to transition his game offensively to just be less of an offensive player... but nonetheless, we need to see some "real" signs of a legit shooter in there fairly early in the season, imo, for both his confidence to not get shook and the fans as well.

I'm not concerned, currently... but hope he has a plan of attack these next 2-3 months training wise.

jiggyfly, Hakeemtheking and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

At worst he will be what we wanted Ryan Anderson to be... that's AT WORST!

18pbr likes this.
  9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I think he tried to play a brand of basketball he's not used to (and doesn't yet have the ability to do) and it showed. Everyone knew he wasn't the facilitator that Paolo is and doesn't have the handles that Paolo has.

Bari's gonna look a lot better in a functional offense. If you're calling that a high end role player, so be it, but his upside in a functional offense is still all-star level.

Drift Monkey and 18pbr like this.
  10. JayZ750

what? this makes no sense to me.

At worst, Jabari can't shoot but still plays fantastic amazing defense, and at best is Ryan Anderson plus offensively with incredible defense..

Ryan Anderson at worse was a solid marksman who had **** defense (and at best was incredible at 3 - 5 years at 38%+) with passable defense.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Not as worried about this as I expect him being in those situations with the big club will be minimal.

I expect with KPJ, Green and Sengun very little offense will be run through him unless he has a clear matchup advantage.

I envision he’ll me more Mobley-esque this season benefitting as a finisher rather than an initiator.

Overall his passing has been good enough for that type of role.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Was that way from his first SL game on, guess adjusting to the distance and also rushing shots a bit.

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

What we wanted was Ryan Anderson to be is a consistent/high field goal percentage shooter with good defense playing off a star guard player... which at the time was James Harden.

15. hahachui

hahachui Member

Ryan Anderson has no D

16. conquistador#11

Still feels like a dream that he fell to 3!

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Let's not sugar coat it, if he can't find his shot, I don't care how great of a defender he is, the pick is a complete bust. Jabari is drafted at 3 for great shooting and great defense, while having flaws in most other departments.

i could really care less if he can handle the ball, or pass like other bigs, that's not what his strengths were advertised out of college. But he needs to be a really good shooter.

jiggyfly, joshuaao and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The greatest college 3 pt shooter ever won't find his shot? Unlikely... and that makes me feel great about our future.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It would be a high-end role player if he can't create good shots on his own that's a role player, point blank.