1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the odds that we've ALREADY found our starting lineup for years to come?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 17, 2022.

1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Lol

2. csc177

csc177 Member

Executing great drafts paid off for the warriors and and spurs (home grown talent - curry dray klay - Tim- manu and Parker) let’s see if the basketball gods provide clutch city with some good fortune.

xaos and fattz like this.
  3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lmao. This kid looks like someone killed his cat (not man enough to own a dog) and has women love Will (outside of his mom that's not true) as a twitter handle and you're posting his ****. Child please. This dude would need $1k in his hand to get laid. Jesus

Roc Paint likes this.
  4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

No chance in hell the Rockets are ready to serve

5. fattz

fattz Member

Wow, Stone has done a great job just to have a thread like this so quickly in a rebounding process. I see his vision and looks like banners in the rafters one day. Is this the exact grouping, probably not but I believe in him.

King1, Plowman and Roc Paint like this.
  6. xaos

xaos Member

As of now there are two guys on the roster I'm confident will be starters for the Rockets for about 8 years, barring trade of course. Those two guys are Green and Jabari, but for two different reasons.

Green, we are building around him. There's no one in the upcoming draft that will replace him. He has potential to be a league leading scorer and even if he doesn't I think he'll show enough for us to keep him.

Smith is one of those guys that can play 3 4 or 5 depending on your roster. He's elite at three point shooting and switching. He will fit next to almost any SF, Pf, or C star we acquire via draft, trade, or free agency.

Eason has the third highest chance of being a starter on the Rockets in the future. Sengun is next...

KPJ I still need more data tbh, his talent is there though

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think it's highly unlikely, but if I were going to bet on one Rockets roster ever to do it (or one current NBA team to do it) it would be this one.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's likely that we will trade two or three of those guys and the 2027 Nets pick for disgruntled superstar Banchero five years from now. :D

9. SummitKid83

SummitKid83 Member

It is.This will be the Golden State Killer team.The team that cancels out what they do best.Think about it..With Golden State back on top they are what we gotta get thru.Because of Bari n Tari we now will have the best switching team with 2 of the top scoring guards..Sengun shake n back..Mark my words

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think many of you underestimate Sengun.

King1 likes this.
  11. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I think Porter is a very good player but he needs to be a team player. I like Jabari and Sengun but we need another big man on our frontline who can block shots. I like Eason and Jabari as very good bench players. We need a starter from free agency....small forward.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's the exact 5 i want to see start and play a ton...

And with that the chances are close to 0%. Was trying to look through historical recent examples: GSW, OKC, 76ers, BOS, etc, etc.

Basically, if HOU ends up drafting their starting 5 plus KPJ basically a draft pick acquired from trade 3 months earlier, in a 2 year window, and that's the starting 5 that ultimately competes for deep playoff runs, after bottoming out and being the worst team in the league for 2 straight years, it is probably unprecedented in any remotely recent NBA history. So if it does happen, chances for a special special team.

TheJuice likes this.
  13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This isn't our starting five - if we are a really really good team, then I doubt both Eason and Sengun are eventual full time starters....maybe one of them pulls through but I think the odds are against both and it's highly likely that we are severely overrating Eason's play based on Summer League. He will probably have a hard time hitting consistent shots and not fouling on the next level so let's not put him in our core just yet - dude has to prove more than a professional scrimmage....as mentioned too - Houston will have too much cap room soon and too many high picks coming up for this to be the core talent - there will be more.

jiggyfly and SamFisher like this.
  14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Sad but true. Remember when we went through if iirc a three year period when Harden was practically the only guy w three yr tenure. It was annoying but we almost made it except for CP’s damn hamstring

15. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

The odds are very low, even contending teams make changes every season. My best guess two to three current starters will still be in the starting lineup two seasons from now.

16. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Obviously we all hope Jalen Green and Jabari Smith are permanent starters for future playoff runs. If not, we've failed in this rebuild and are probably starting over.

Sengun is a mystery to me right now. His style of play, strengths, and weaknesses are unique and relatively untested in the both the regular season and the playoffs. He'll be starting this year, so we'll learn a lot very soon. In a fantasy scenario, he's running the high post with a bunch of athletic cutters, giving us an offensive option few NBA teams have. How would that survive in a 7 game series? Who knows... it could be a revelation or it could get clogged up in game 3 with the opposing team setting a record for playoff steals in a first quarter. We may not know the answer to this for multiple years.

I don't see Tari, Jabari, and Sengun being on the floor together very much, unless a specific matchup dictates it. This seems like a lane-clogging lineup. Also, if we're running a non-traditional point guard like KPJ very much, we probably need a 3-guard lineup to facility playmaking. As a result, I see Tari coming off the bench long-term.

For KPJ, see above. I can see him getting minutes, but prefer it if he's coming off the bench. I feel like every team needs a PG at times that can break down the defense with raw speed and agility. Even if this player is coming off the bench to spark a stagnant offense in the playoffs, it is a necessary component. I don't know enough about TyTy to know if he could be the guy.

Garrison Matthews could be a great bench player, but has already shown inconsistencies.

Therefore, I think we have...
    • PG - starter + KPJ or TyTy
    • SG - Jalen + KPJ or Christopher or Matthews
    • SF - starter + Tate or Christopher
    • PF - Jabari + Tari
    • C - starter or Sengun + Sengun or ?
    BTW, I think the chances of our draft pick this coming season being top 5 are very low. Jalen's confidence, along with Jabari and Tari elevating the defense are going to translate to a medium jump in wins. Lottery still seems likely, but how could we possibly lose as many as we did this year again?

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  17. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Great post.

Do you have Green as a 1...? That's interesting, would love your thoughts there.

I'm really high on Green, but I don't see the playmaking for others or handle developing to the degree implied for the 1 to be his natural best position.

#77 mikenm268, Jul 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    Nook likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

I am not as concerned about positions on the offensive end, more so on the defensive end. Jalen Green is a poor defender against most shooting guards. He is slight, he is a little undersized and doesn't have a good wingspan. However, defensively he was actually average to slightly above average guarding point guards. His size and strength issues are not as concerning against smaller point guards and he is the rare shooting guard with the quickness and speed to guard points. So I view him defensively as a point guard.

On offense I am hoping the Rockets end up with a more natural point guard with the size and desire to guard shooting guards.

mikenm268 likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What an interesting slip up, perhaps the desire for Green one day developing the skills to play the 1 is related to the skepticism when it comes to KPJ.

20. Nook

Nook Member

I hope you are right.