1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Do you think the Rockets should tank or try to win?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Jul 17, 2022.

?

What do you want the Rockets to do this season?

1. Win and shoot for playoffs/play in. Fill out roster with Free Agents.

2. Lose as much as possible for another high draft pick.

3. Lose organically while still experimenting. Aim for a decently high draft pick.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MystikArkitect

As the poll states, what do you guys think the Rockets should do after seeing the new guys in the Summer League? Tank again for Scoot or Wemby? Go for wins? Plan on filling out roster in free agency? Is Jabari/Green/Sengun capable of growing into a behemoth?

Wondering on everyone's thoughts.

burlesk and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

hopefully max out at 25 wins and be bottom 4, that's the dream for this season to give ourselves the best chance possible for long term success, cutting the rebuild short is what dooms most teams who tank

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Honestly i like the way the rookies look but anything over 30 wins - which is a big improvement - is pretty unlikely.

burlesk, Williamson, Rashmon and 13 others like this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Organically play and organically be bad because we are super young. You'll need both tanking and luck to grab one of the top two picks.

If we show some real growth and end up at #8 I wouldn't be upset.

burlesk likes this.
  5. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

As much as I hate to say it we need one more year of tanking, due to the 2023 free agent class being terrible.

ilovehtownbb, TexasRedd, xaos and 6 others like this.
  6. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Just play the games and see how the dice falls. We'll lose a lot more than we win just by nature of having a team where the majority of them could still be in college if they weren't as good basketball players as they are. Tanking at this point is actually stupid, you shouldn't be deliberately trying to lose when you've already got too many draft picks to find minutes for already. We won't be competitive, but we need the team to learn to fight, not constantly roll over in the hopes we win a lottery for a player who might not even turn out to be worth anything at all.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I want us to take the Ja Morant path and have a surprising winning season, possibly with a play-in berth. No one is out-tanking the Spurs or Jazz this year; Ainge and Buford know what they are doing, emptying out their cupboards like this. Presti will cut his non-SGA/Giddey/Chet/Jaylen core if they so much as contribute at all to winning this year, but with their sheer talent accumulation thus far I'm afraid there's only so much they'll be able to do.

As for signing veterans, yuck. You can try to win organically without selling out for this year. I think best case scenario might actually be just missing out on the playoffs, but getting a bad enough record in this stacked Western Conference that we still end up picking 6-10 or so. If it's as deep as people say, there will still be talent on the board that contribute to an eventual championship-level rotation.

But there's a ton to be stated about instilling a winning culture early, the way that Ja and the Grizzlies have done. I think Jabari in particular might be that sort of guy who will raise the floor of this team, singlehandedly taking us out of the Wemby sweepstakes very early on.

JoeBarelyCares, Bo6 and Dobbizzle like this.
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We will try to win, but we will tank doing it. Look at the roster. We’re not winning sh#t this coming season.

9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Contend for the Championship

of the G league

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yeah, put me in the group of neither. Let the kids play!

And don't make stupid decisions that hurt development or bring in someone mediocre guy in an attempt to squeeze out a few wins.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Calm your feelings about the Rockets and trust the process

12. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

The goal should be growing both as a team and individually. Get a habit of showing your best every night, aim for consistency, less blow-out games, improve team defense, build confidence.

You can’t get these habits overnight. Plus it makes the team fun to watch. And you can’t win too many games in any case.

burlesk, xaos, red5rocket and 5 others like this.
  13. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

This young core is set. They need to cement their culture and do all the good habits that are rewarded with wins. Win some organically, and learn from the losses to breed more organic winning. Don’t make these young guys step in front of mics saying they’re obsessed with learning how to win and then go out there and play to lose or put them in helpless positions where they can get their dauber down.

red5rocket, Corpusfan and saleem like this.
  14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

15. a time to chill

Tanking doesn't guarantee you a top 1 or 2 pick. We should win as much as possible.

JayGoogle, saleem, CHAMPBOY and 3 others like this.
  16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Play

Sengun/Garuba
    Smith/KMJ/Eason
    Eason/Tate
    Green/Christopher
    KPJ/TY

and be happy with the results.

dragonwill, burlesk, Xopher and 6 others like this.
  17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I really think the team should be trying to win basketball games right now. Not saying push in chips, or sacrifice future flexibility to go all out, but actually trying to compete.

The longer these bad habits are ignored the harder they will be to break.

18. PatBev

PatBev Member

Let the chips fall where they may but I think we are better than a bottom 5 team

I really wanna see KPJ, Green, and Sengun raise some eyebrows around the league

burlesk likes this.
  19. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

This young team needs to take there lumps this season. EG should be moved for future piece(s). See what KMJ and other fringe guys can do along with more minutes for every player drafted last year. If TyTy needs a stint in the G-league let him get the minutes there if they want to have a close up on Nix. Plus KPJ needs to take the next step. They are too young and weak to win more than 33 games but they should start showing life after the all star break. Just keep improving. Get the best pick you can get and let the chips fall where they may. THIS IS NOT A PLAYOFF TEAM even with a vet center.

I'm fine with getting this right.

burlesk likes this.
  20. MadRox

MadRox Member

I say tank for one last time, because 2023 is the year we still have our 1st rounder.
    Let's be honest, with current state of the Rockets, no big name will come. Our only chance is to draft our own.
    1st rounders in 2024 goes to OKC, 2025 OKC can swap, 2026 goes to OKC again.
    Yes there are protections built-in, but still risky to tank since we don't have full control over the outcome.