1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Summer League 2022 = Mobley Summer League 2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Jul 10, 2022.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Here's some comments from the 2021 Summer League thread after the Rockets beat the Cavs 84-76 and Sengun (15pts 15rbd 3ast 4blk 1to 1stl) outplayed Mobley (12pts 5rbd 0ast 3blk 5to 1stl):

I'm not trying to call anyone out, because I was on the "do NOT take a big man" train prior to the 2021 draft as well, and Mobley sure as hell proved me wrong. My takeaway from all this, with only two games of Jabari tape in the fold:

1. The Summer League isn't made for big men to shine. It highlights jitterbug guards like Cam Thomas, other heliocentric ballhandlers like Cade and Banchero, and in general anyone who is looking to maximize their usage in an effort to prove they belong in the NBA (have you seen Armoni Brooks' numbers for Toronto?).

2. We really have to wait and see how our players, particularly the bigs and the defensive-minded ones, will play in the environs of a competent NBA-level rotation. Guys like Jabari and Mobley can flash via the eye test but still put up ugly box scores until that happens.

3. In spite of Mobley's ROY-worthy performance last year, some of the criticisms we had of him going into the regular season did still play out! Before the draft there were concerns about his a.) shooting, and b.) motor. The game seemed to be too easy for him at USC so the idea was that he stopped trying during some points. With Jabari what we've seen has been very promising: his shooting stroke is as pure as you can ask for, and nobody is ever going to question his effort or hustle. He gives it 100% on the court and by all accounts in the gym as well, and that portends fantastically for him in the years to come.

4. If we play revisionist history and assume the Rockets have the same pick in an alternate universe where we selected Mobley in 2021, which tandem would you prefer, Jalen and Jabari or Mobley and Ivey? For me the answer 100 times out of 100 is Jalen and Jabari. I cannot believe how good our luck has been. I would take Jabari over Mobley straight up, as I hinted at above.

Stay positive! We're seeing some very promising signs so far.

2. MystikArkitect

Go look at the history of the best summer league performers. It'll make you feel a lot better.

Jabari will show his worth throughout the season. He's going to play good defense. He's going to hit bonkers shots. He's going to struggle to dribble. He'll be alright.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I thought Mobley played very well despite his shooting troubles, his IQ and decision making was off the charts. I’m not as impressed when watching Smith, not that it matters much, it’s just summer league, Smith will have plenty of time to prove himself and develop.

arabrocket and leebigez like this.
  4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I mean you can call me out, I'm an idiot lmao

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Smith's man defense is special. Maybe he doesn't get a ton of sexy stats that pop off the page like blocks and steals, but he's such a great long, athletic big guy and he moves his feet really well, maintains good position, is technically sound, and takes pride in his effort. I know some people just don't care and want to see flashy stuff, but genuinely he provides an amazing defensive upgrade. If he brings just that, he's going to be a serious upgrade from what this team had last year. And at the very least he's going to bring that jumper most nights.

What he brings on defense is something I didn't see at all last year from anybody on this roster.

6. i3artow i3aller

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Jabari has been almost exactly as advertised except his shot hasn’t fallen. Hopefully that will change, and when it does, look out.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  8. Boki4MvP

Boki4MvP Member

The more I think about how he plays and after getting to see him play. I feel like he can mature into a Scottie pippen type player. He should study Scottie pippen defense tape.

Spacemoth likes this.
  9. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

To me, summer league is effectively pick up basketball.

So it’s going to heavily favor players that have the ball in their hands more and/or can create offense themselves. Josh Christopher is taking full advantage of this lol

I wish Jabari was shooting better but no at all concerned about his play. If anything, he’s showing why his value goes beyond just shooting. His ability to affect the game even when his shooting has not been there is going to be a huge boon for the Rockets.

In comparison to Mobley, thank the heavens that Jalen Green looks to be the part of a true number 1 option.

Last year, the Rockets were searching for a number 1 option so that’s why I preferred Green over Mobley because Green had a surer way to be a true number 1 option. Even with Mobley having a hard time in summer league last year, it was not going to be a worry when the regular season came around and he could play with better guards and team support.

Having Green in place now, there is a structure now that we just have to insert Jabari.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Great post. I am happy with Green and Jabari. It's hard to answer Ivey and Mobley or what the rockets have though. I'd say Green and Jabari that may just be because I like them and want them to do well and be great.

11. Spacemoth

If you think about the top secondary guys in NBA history, guys like Pippen and Klay if you could redo the drafts they were in would go top 2-3 in most years, because a guy like that is the second most valuable commodity in the league behind your bonafide alpha, playmaking superstar who is capable of winning a chip as the best player. What you do NOT want is an alpha who doesn’t have that ceiling yet still needs the ball in his hands most plays. You never know with some of those guys like John Wall, Beal, Donovan Mitchell, Westbrook, etc, which is why you still pick them high. But in retrospect, Klay and Pippen would go higher in a redraft of all those players if they were all back in their pre-draft bodies.

That’s the thing that excites me the most about Jabari. I’ve seen nothing yet so far to dissuade me from my conviction that he can be the ideal second best player for a championship team.

topfive, 13 in 33 and Boki4MvP like this.
  12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

High IQ in Passing, Defense, Hustle Plays

I want Tari Eason, Jabari Smith to study video on Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman

or Hakeem Olajuwon and Robert Horry on Defense

Richie_Rich likes this.
  13. Salvy

Salvy Member

Mobley still trash thou...

cheke64 likes this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jabari was holding his own at the 5. Mobley needs two 7 footers next to him

rockets1995 and Salvy like this.
  15. Salvy

Salvy Member

Imagine how much more trash Mobley would have looked with Christopher, Lamb and Nix..... Jabari might just be the best player ever...

16. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I'm high on ivey. I think he has potential to be better then cade. I hade this argument in my space. To me it would be about the same. All 4 will be very good players

17. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

you missing one thing, Mobley had Allen to help him out when it was time.

Deuce and rockets1995 like this.
  18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Good post I was thinking about this as well. As others noted SL is shine time for ball handling high usage scorers not bigs like Mobley or Smith.

Look at the last game where Jabari had 4 steals and 3 blocks. Imagine those kind of numbers along with Thybulle type opponents FG%. Then throw in 35-40% from 3 on high attempts. I’m expecting all that as a 19 year old rookie.

As he develops then we can see more handle, inside scoring, passing, etc.

Just have to be patient and enjoy the process. It’s going to be a lot of fun watching the young guys grow and even more satisfying when they mature and contend.

19. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

ROY runner up is trash. Noted.

20. Spacemoth

Just because Cavs fans seem to be getting angry at the comparison, here are some great videos breaking down the defense of both:

You should watch them all the way through because I'm certainly not as good as these folks at breaking down the tape. Nonetheless, I think it's worth highlighting some points in the videos.

1. BOTH Mobley and Jabari will be in the first team all-defense conversation I think for the next decade.

2. If you had to break down their body types, it seems to me that Mobley is much more high-waisted than Jabari, with really skinny legs and noticeably long and skinny calves that are reminiscent more of Chet than Jabari. Mobley may be an inch or two taller, and reportedly the wingspan difference is 7'4 versus 7'2. Some numbers out there have Jabari with a 7'1 wingspan, but one look at his body type and that to me seems completely off. A +2 wingspan is essentially what Paolo Banchero is, and Banchero's arms are noticeably shorter than Jabari's. If you had to compare body proportions to someone, Jabari to me resembles a bigger version of a Paul George. I'd say his wingspan has to be at least +3 to +4, and anyone saying otherwise is using old data.

3. Looking at the tape, it's clear that Mobley has exceptional footwork and knows how to position himself on man defense so that he can anticipate movements and react with minimal wasted movement. In spite of that, he still has clips where he gets turned around on occasion. Replacing efficiency, it's obvious to me that Jabari is a more fast twitch-type defender, with fantastic foot shuffling, rapid small strides, and just an otherworldly ability to stay in front of his man.

So maybe the points are apt, that Mobley will be a better shot blocker and rim protector, while Jabari will be the better perimeter defender. But it's not like either person is a slouch at either thing. Jabari is EXACTLY the type of player who gets overshadowed in summer league, only to break out in the regular season once his teammates get better at working him into the system on both sides.

Deuce, Dobbizzle, xcrunner51 and 2 others like this.