1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When will you begin worrying about Jabaris jumper?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Jul 15, 2022.

?

Are you worried about Jabari’s NBA shot?

1. **** yeah I am

24 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. Nope!

174 vote(s)
    87.9%
  1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Going back to 9th grade when he was 14 years old, he's shot 38%, 32%,38%,41% and 41% from 3. Based on those numbers, does 41% look like an outlier to you?

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

No idea. But here’s the fun part of what I said: “It’s possible”. Which it is. I don’t know. Neither do you. I’m not going to put a lot of stock in HS stats. We’ll see soon enough.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Can we let the kid play 1 NBA Season before worrying? Geez

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

The shot will come. As long as his motor and defense are still there, he's got all star level potential.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am only a little, I think the new distance bothers him and his trajectory is flat, but at 19 and his history he will sort it out.

DD

6. 9baller

9baller Member

I was hoping to see him rise up and shoot over his defender more, a la KD, but he can work on that. He's only 19.

7. jayfree

jayfree Member

Remember when Tim Duncan only score 13 ppg in summerleague while Greg Ostertag TAGGED him for 21 pts and 10 boards? How'd that turn out?

fattz and Hakeemtheking like this.
  8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

No really possible to be an outlier. If he had a history of poor shooting and then one good season that would be an outlier.

When you have a track record of being a really good shooter, another season of good shooting can't be an outlier.

roslolian and Hakeemtheking like this.
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was way more worried about Jalen Green’s shot because he never had a track record of being a good 3pt shooter. Jabari has a good shooting history and I agree he will be fine.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

You don’t know if it’s an outlier or not unless you’re willing to look at data that’s frankly irrelevant. That’s kind of the point. He’s young. Time will tell. It doesn’t matter, I think he’ll be fine. I think he’s a good shooter who had a rough stretch. It happens. He has good form, the shots just weren’t falling.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

1000% Agree

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

??? Are you high or what? Your post makes zero sense. I'm not worried because Jabari's shooting will come around, doesnt mean I'm blind to the fact that he can shoot for **** right now.

Yeah I said OUTPLAYED. Playing includes FG%, efficiency is a thing in case you havent noticed. Yeah Jalen Duren scores on putbacks and dunks, thats a lot better than taking 4 threes and making 1 which is what Jalen did his last game. On 2 pts Jabari was 3/11 his last game so tbh Jabari couldnt even do the layups dunks and outbacks Duren was doing. Jabari is compiling large amount of rebs, but majority of those are defensive rebounds. Those are gimmes, the opponent goes back on defense after the shot misses and anybody can get them, Jabari, Eason, whoever. It's not like Jabari out there grabbing boards from opponents. The same thing is true for Duren, part of the reason why he has low reb average is because Duren only played 3 games and he has 11 mins in 1 game. The other part is just like Jabari, the rebs he is giving up are all defensive rebs. Duren is boxing out so the pf can grab the reb. Or he immediately leaks out in transition to dunk the ball. OTH Jabari stays back to grab the ball and he is the one who passes to Eason for the flush. Duren averaged 8 rebs in college he didnt forget how to reb lol.

And yes Jay Huff has outplayed Jabari on both shooting and defense. He is just limited by PT Jabari played around 30 mins a night and took lion share of shots except his first game.

Jabari isnt some random prospect he is the 3rd pick in the draft and wanted to go no 1. His main forte is defense and shooting he has been great on defense but his shooting is unacceptable esp for somebody who feels he should have gone no 1. Like I said I'm not worried cuz he will adjust and improve but at the same time he shouldnt even have this issue considering he is assesed as the best shooter in the top 10 and none of the other top picks have been struggling shooting the ball.

Why is Paolo Banchero and Ivey making more 3s than him? Youd have to think they did better prep than him in adjusting to the NBA.

#153 roslolian, Jul 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is exactly what I thought and if his dad is saying it I am a little worried.

Confidence issues can really affect a player its why Wiggins never reached his ceiling.

15. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

So your one of those...

Yeah. I didn't make any sense. Facts are false and reality is a fantasy.

Gotcha.

Don't miss out on a good thing, while hanging on to the wrong thing.

Sure the early Green haters can agree with that.

Cheers!

16. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Everyone loses confidence the moment they walk in the locker and see grown men in there. Olajuwon got torched by Malone in the summer. But that's when you make the decision to put in the real work. Jabari is likely the most competitive guy on the team. So I anticipate that he will overcome what is perfectly normal to feel when you advance a level, and do it pretty quickly.

snowconeman22 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know about you all but I slept pretty well last night

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

His shot was a bit flat, but his mechanics are very good for someone his size. I think the first game bothered him a bit with how unstructured the offense was so the rest of the games I felt like he was going outside of his comfort zone a bit, and rushing shots to make sure he wasn't going to be seen as passive. I liked that he asserted himself, but given who he is, it's probably going to lead to shots he's not normally taking, and rushing a bit.

So no I'm not worried about his shot. I am worried about Sila's AAU style of offense though going into the season and the detrimental affect it can have on young players. Jabari is going to thrive in the NBA system. He's probably going to look fine, but maybe a bit like he did in Summer league in a Silas Stinker AAU offensive gameplan. I'm willing to fire Silas for the sake of Jabari, and IMO he's on a much shorter leash now that we have two young studs that need actual coaching, and not a free for all like a James Harden would want.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The poll doesn't answer the question lol.

I won't worry until he's played 20 games and his 3p% is less than 30%, or when he's played 40 games and it's less than 35%.

jiggyfly likes this.