1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Landry's Tooth

I think Odorizzi to the Cardinals makes a ton of sense. He would be their #3 and contend against Milwaukee.

They have a lefty Zack Thompson who has amazing splits on lefties in a limited sample size.

Maybe Thompson and a prospect like Luken Baker who is blocked...

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  2. HTown2017Champs

If we do trade Jake, the Cardinals are definitely an excellent fit. They're in the NL, so the only way we'd face him in the postseason is if we both make the WS, and they need pitching.

3. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Here's the Thing I want the Yankees to sell all those top prospects they have for Soto. This will hurt the Yankees for sure and they are Dumb Enough to do a trade like that.

Soto is awesome but I'm not doing anything where it kills us for the Future. And sure this would be great for 2 and a half years but we still aren't that improved.

Jake Odorizzi to the Cards would be an awesome fit
    Zach Thompson would be a great asking point I would ask for Alec Burleson Aswell.

Those two guys would be a great acquisition for Odorizzi.

I think we need to worry about adding a LF who wont break the bank on us in a trade and a 1B aswell.

Letting Brantley and Gurriel walk at the end of the year would be the Ideal situation .

A team Like the Dodgers are probably going to jump into the talks on Soto. There System is pretty staked and the Nationals now it well.
    the Dodgers could offer Diago Cartaya, Michael Busch, Bobby Miller, Miguel Vargas and still take players off there roster like julio Urias and Cody Bellinger and still have one of the strongest offers out there

4. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

While I totally agree with you that I wouldn't want the Astros to mortgage their future to bring in Soto, the Yankees are a different breed. They could sell off future pieces and still be okay because they will just go out and buy what they need. It might not always work for them, but it will hurt them far less than it would hurt a team like the Astros. (I know it's been reported that the Yankees are trying to be more financially responsible recently, but they are still 3rd in payroll at a projected ~$30M above the tax threshold)

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I think with a contract Sotos wanting they will hurt themselves badly trying to keep him

6. Landry's Tooth

I think they have figured it out or Judge would be signed already.

They would be giving up Volpe for sure who is likely their next Jeter.

If they keep Judge and sign Soto long term they could be committing 135 million to just 4 players and i don't see them as guaranteed to win because they would be going cheap on other roster spots probably.

Maybe if Stanton is in the deal but i doubt the Nationals want him...

The Beard likes this.
  7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Soto is definitely available now

8. Landry's Tooth

Im fine with Luis Garcia, Hunter Brown, Leon, and their pick of 2 other prospects not named Lee for Soto.

Similar to Cole trade... you know going in its a short term deal...

Still leaves you with McCullers, Valdez, Javier, and Urquidy under contract next year. If Verlander is gone then they can use his money on a replacement...

Soto to RF and Tucker to CF? Mix in a DH spot rotation...

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

They aren’t playing Tucker in CF. It would be Tucker, Meyers and Soto with Yordan DH.

The Beard likes this.
  10. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

5 Packages suggested by sports writeres
    Padres
    Player Rank
    Luis Campussano 2
    Jackson Merrill 4
    Reiss Knehr 6
    Robert Gasser 7
    and Victor Lizarraga. 11

Giants
    Players Rank
    Will Bednar 4
    Jairo Pomares 6
    Hunter Bishop 8
    and Manuel Mercedes 15

Yankees
    Players Rank
    J.P. Sears 23
    Ken Waldichuk 5
    Hayden Wesneski 7
    Luis Gil 9
    and Estevan Florial. 29

Mets
    Players Rank
    Alex Ramirez 4
    Dominic Hamel 9
    Jose Butto 12
    and Mike Vasil. 21

Dodgers
    Players Rank
    Diego Cartaya 1
    Gavin Lux MLB
    Dustin May MLB
    Gavin Stone 18
    Miguel Vargas 5

You guys tell me how Those rank. any why the Dodgers are paying way way more then the otheres.

those proposals all look alittle lite

And It was said by Jeff Passan that if someone was willing to take Patrick Corbin or Steven Strausberg it could be alot better deal in the long run for whom ever aquires them

11. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Have no idea why the Dodgers, in these scenarios listed, seem to be paying a higher price. Maybe the writer thinks the Dodgers can win the overpay battle?

As for throwing in one of those two pitchers, I don't see anyone who would want to do that. Corbin has been just awful these last few years and is owed around $24M this year and around $35 million next year, and Strasburg has pitched 31.1 innings in the last 3 year, is turning 34 in just a few days and is owed $35M for the next 4 years. Neither option involving those pitchers seem good to me, as they both have a bunch of big "IF's" attached to their names right now.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3428196/2022/07/16/juan-soto-trade-packages-teams/

We canvassed our beat writers and asked for something that has percolated through the sport all season: Make me your best offer for Juan Soto.

Cubs: A deal built around Nico Hoerner, Justin Steele, Brennen Davis, Pete Crow-Armstrong, Caleb Kilian and Cristian Hernàndez will seem like a lot to some Cubs fans, but it also might be laughed at considering Soto’s immense talent.

White Sox: Here’s an offer that every White Sox fan could make a begrudging peace with: outfielder Eloy Jiménez, first baseman/outfielder Andrew Vaughn, shortstop Colson Montgomery, outfielder Oscar Colás and righthander Norge Vera. It empties out the three most high-ceiling prospects of a young but improving farm system, and a pair of corner bats with All-Star potential. There’s just the small issue that it wouldn’t get anywhere close to a deal, which would have to be fronted with dynamic and productive talents like right-hander Dylan Cease and outfielder Luis Robert to gain attention over a field of ravenous buyers.

Angels: The deal: Juan Soto for Jo Adell, Anthony Rendon, significant cash, and… Shohei Ohtani. Before reading, please take with the grain of salt that this will almost certainly not happen. That being said, this crazy idea might just be crazy enough to work.

Dodgers: The offer: The Nationals send Soto and Strasburg to the Dodgers for Bobby Miller, Ryan Pepiot, Miguel Vargas, Andy Pages and James Outman.

Mets: The Mets could offer Francisco Álvarez, considered one of the very best prospects in baseball, as well as a selection of top-100 talents like Brett Baty, Ronny Mauricio, Mark Vientos, Alex Ramirez and Matt Allan. And their real advantage is this: The Mets can take back an onerous contract in the deal, like the ones owed to Corbin and Strasburg, giving a new owner legitimate financial flexibility.

Yankees: High reward, high cost. That means Gleyber Torres, Oswald Peraza, Jasson Dominguez and, in a funny twist (depending on your perspective), eating Corbin’s contract. That would be quite the outcome given the fact that Corbin and the Yankees have been circling each other for years. Is this enough? Likely not. But it isn’t every day that a dude drawing comps to Ted Williams hits the market before his prime.

Padres: So, here goes nothing: shortstop CJ Abrams, left-hander MacKenzie Gore and outfielders Robert Hassell III and James Wood for Soto. It might not be enough, and even if it were, an already top-heavy organization could be handcuffing itself. Still, no one covets generational, potentially unattainable talent like this organization does.

Mariners: Let’s start here: shortstop Noelvi Marte, right-hander Emerson Hancock and outfielders Jarred Kelenic and Jonatan Clase.

Cardinals: Acquiring Soto would require parting with at least one starting outfielder in Tyler O’Neill, Harrison Bader or Dylan Carlson, and you’d bet the Nationals would demand top prospect Jordan Walker be a part of the deal. Several players — both on the major-league and minor-league rosters — would head to Washington, and for a front office that is so measured and calculated with its expected projections, it’s doubtful the Cardinals are willing to seriously engage in an offer.

Blue Jays: In a Soto deal, the Nationals would get left fielder Lourdes Gurriel Jr., utilityman Cavan Biggio, catcher Gabriel Moreno, left hander Ricky Tiedemann, third baseman Jordan Groshans, shortstop Orelvis Martinez and righthander Nate Pearson.

13. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

this is why I think the Astros need to saty out of that bidding jesus H.

If iM the Nationals IM taking the White sox dal as long as I get to swap Colas and Montgomery for Cease

14. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

His name has been thrown around on here by some but Arizona is now considering shopping 1b Christian Walker. He's batting .206 but has 22 homeruns. .206 seems bad but is it just bad luck? Also apparently he's hitting the ball hard and has a 13.3% walk rate. Apparently defense is good.

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Unless they have an agreement to extend him, I don’t think they would give up the prospect package most think

George isn’t running that organization anymore

Judge is absolutely loved by Yankee fans and all indications are they will let him walk

I would worry way more about the Dodgers or Mets getting him

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

tucker absolutely would play center unless brantley's season is over

17. The Beard

Lol

The Astros have been crystal clear they aren’t playing Tucker in CF

They value defense more than other organizations, and they value defense WAY more than cf posters

18. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Considering there was no Rule 5 draft last year (Thanks, Owners!), I really don't have any strong feelings on who to attain, but trading away prospects the team was going to let go in Rule 5 regardless (Think, Bryan De La Cruz last year) for some bullpen help isn't a bad move.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

talking about in the dream where soto is traded to the astros bud. you think tucker would be in center or michael brantley would be benched?

lol.

20. The Beard

If those are the options, they would bench Brantley, bud