1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Here's a thought:

Say a team like the Suns want to maneuver a deal for KD and the Nets determine that it's in their best interest to tank for the next few seasons. Would you be open to doing something along the lines of:

Sending the Nets back their swaps for 2023 and 2025 as well as their 2024 pick
    In exchange for the Suns unprotected 2023, 2024, 2025 FRP and a 2027 swap? (or something like that?)

My thinking is this gives the Nets the opportunity to tank for the next three seasons, and for us, seeing as we're tanking this coming season, the real loss here is the 2024 pick and 2025 swap as the 2023 probably won't get executed. In exchange, we get 3 confirmed unprotected FRPs and a longer term swap, which gives us more draft capital to maneuver and trade as we build this team out (consider the quality of players this offseason traded for a single FRP, i.e., Malcolm Brogdon), while also holding onto our Nets draft capital post 2025.

The Nets, if they go this route, take 3-4 additional FRPs picks from the Suns (2026, 2028, 2029), something like a Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Dario Saric, and Jae Crowder combo. Three of those contracts are expiring, and you probably try to trade Ben Simmons by the deadline for value. Of course, this leaves them without the Sixers pick as they traded that away with the Royce O'neal deal, which would be a loss if they did this.

Anyways, I guess my question is: would you be open to trading back a few years of the draft capital the Nets gave us to get future draft capital/better draft capital from a third team that is looking to make a move for KD?

Corrosion and Trackwell like this.
  2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

No

We aren’t helping anyone

Corrosion likes this.
  3. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Okay, try to think of it this way: would you be willing to trade a swap that probably won't execute (this coming draft), the Nets unprotected FRP, and another swap for 3 unprotected future FRPs from another team (Suns, Heat, etc.) + A future swap from that team? If not, why not? This still leaves us with two more years of Nets draft control (26' and 27') and adds onto that valuable FRPs and another swap.

Trackwell likes this.
  4. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Jalens about to shock everybody

ApacheWarrior, saleem and D-rock like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Keep adding long elite 2 way players.

Even Silas knows he needs these kind of players to have any kind of success.

TheJuice and saleem like this.
  6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Two mebbes, questions actually:

KMJ - PP. Cs are loaded in backcourt, light on the wings. Would Rox be interested?

- - -

Liddell. The great value pick at (41?). Lotsa love before the Draft, none that night.

Pels plan on competing, perhaps Rox would like EJL’s red scar err red shirt year in exchange for either Mathew’s or KMJ?

Milos likes this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Just an idea, but what about trading for Mike Conley? We need another vet; he’d help the development of our young guys; great facilitator; effectively on a 1-yr deal. Nix and TyTy aren’t ready to be significant nba contributors. We could trade the Dallas expiring contracts, Nwaba, and a young prospect like KJ. Maybe 2nd round picks.

point being, Utah is rebuilding, Conley doesn’t fit and they are actively shopping him; we need a vet PG; we have minor assets to trade that won’t hurt our rebuild.

xiki, baller4life315 and Astrodome like this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Why not just sign Augustin or Campazzo to the vet min and call it a day?

Perfect vets for this team at the point IMO. Long time professionals, good lockerook guys, know how to run the offense, and most importantly would be willing to ride the bench IF Ty or Nix steps up and outplays them. All for vet min instead of a big contract

D-rock and saleem like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Whether Nix/TyTy are ready or not, keeping them is a win-win. One of them is ready, Rockets have found an NBA player. They aren't, "woohoo better draft picks" will be heard from the FO.

D-rock likes this.
  10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This was the same mentality I had this past year regarding Rubio, also. Prior to him signing his new deal.

Not a terrible idea. If he’ll go for it at this stage of his career.

11. Milos

Milos Member

Is Conley expiring?
    If so, I'd happily swap him for EGo with an additional FFRP coming to us in a 3way deal
    Mainly just as a mentor for our young PGs teaching them how to read the game, defend, compete

xiki likes this.
  12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I like the idea on multiple levels yet without EGo there’s a $ for $ gap.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

pre-‘court’ I was in the Rondo camp. Pre.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sign this kid to a 2 way stat.

Or at least sign him for the Vipers.

7'1 sniper with ball skills and switch D ability.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Is it worth calling Jordan Nwora's agent for a chat?

He is RFA for the Bucks, so they can match. However their tax bill is already at 57mill - is it worth their while paying triple for a guy who might be glued to their bench?

Nwora has great size, good skills, and looks to be on the verge of breaking out - perhaps just needs the opportunity?
    A 6'8 forward with a guards game is well worth a look. How much might be too much for the Bucks to pay him to ride the pine?

jch1911 and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

D-rock likes this.
  17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I suspect some are going to hate this trade idea, but…
    892249CB-695B-4DAB-BA9C-90961AFD8B47.jpeg

Knicks send out picks and Barrett, but keep their young core and pick up Mitchell and Gordon. Rockets take on Fournier’s contract and send out picks, but get Barrett, who I think could be our answer at 3. The Jazz take on expirings and pick up a ton of picks between the Rockets and Knicks.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Does monitoring mean waiting for him to be waived or actually being willing to offer assets in return?

D-rock likes this.
  20. Landry's Tooth

If by some miracle Adebayo is on the table (some places showing a restriction) I would do something like this:

To Miami
    Sengun
    Durant

To Brooklyn
    Tyler Herro
    Expirings from Houston
    Brooklyn 2023 + 2025 picks
    2 future #1s from Miami

To Rockets
    Bam Adebayo
    Duncan Robinson

Yes, i would eat the Duncan Robinson turd contract to get a top 5 defensive player in the game who has great vision... smack in his prime...

Miami would likely have to value Sengun pretty high in that scenario...

Brooklyn would get Herro, 4 picks, and cap relief. They would be one Ben Simmons contract from getting out of the Kyrie/Durant fiasco a year from now..

couple of d's likes this.