1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Indeed, not to mention that the Braves had 3 or 4 mid season acquisitions that absolutely caught fire once they joined the braves. I have seen it multiple times before where midseason acquisitions end up dominating the rest of the season due to a renewed focus, different environment, etc. Happened with Carlos Beltran and many other players with lesser talent like Eddie Rosario last season. Hitting 0.903 OPS last season with the Braves was such a fluke but it happened. Dude has a 0.434 OPS right now this season! We should definitely see if we can catch lighting in a bottle with 1 or 2 bats.

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

True, but not many have a guy like Garcia or Urquidy, proven to be successful in the big leagues and controlled for a few more years, to offer up

3. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Would be amazing in so many ways.....
    1)will help with the post season
    2)prevent Yankees, Dodgers or any other contenders from acquiring him
    3)insurance if Verlander leaves next season. Castillo, Valdez, McCullers is still a good 1,2,3
    If Verlander is kept, top 4 would be even better
    4) if they don't get him. Hopefully they still drive up the price for other teams

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Assuming Garcia and Javier are off the table, I think the Astros have 3 trade chips of significant value in Brown, Urquidy, and McCormick, with Brown being obviously a cut above the other two, but with Urquidy and McCormick having value equivalent to a fringe Top 100 prospect. I believe if Houston makes a significant trade for a non-reliever, at least one of those 3 guys will be in the deal.

5. The Beard

Pitching...but Randy Johnson is another example...he was really good before we got him, but he was almost unhittable once the trade was made

jakedasnake likes this.
  6. HTM

HTM Member

a ToR guy like Luis Castillo does sound appetizing

everyday eddie likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros get:
    SP Luis Castillo

Reds get:
    RHP Hunter Brown
    RHP Jose Urquidy
    RHP Jaime Melendez
    IF David Hensley

Astros get:
    1B/LF Garrett Cooper

Marlins get:
    OF Chas McCormick
    2B/3B Enmanuel Valdez
    1B Taylor Jones

Astros get:
    OF Joshua Baez
    OF Won-Bin Cho

Cardinals get:
    SP Jake Odorizzi
    $2M

Playoff Roster:
    2B Altuve
    SS Pena
    DH Alvarez
    3B Bregman
    RF Tucker
    1B/LF Cooper
    LF/1B Brantley/Gurriel
    CF Meyers
    C Maldonado
    Bench: Dubon, Lee/Castro, Siri, Gurriel/Brantley
    Rotation: Verlander, Valdez, Castillo, Javier
    Bullpen: Garcia, McCullers, Abreu, Maton, Stanek, Montero, Neris, Pressly

On offense the Astros would only have to look to replace Aledmys Diaz and one of Brantley/Gurriel this offseason. They’d be fine letting JV walk (in which case they’d just need to pick up 1-2 upside relievers) but they’d likely be able to afford to resign him if they really wanted to (assuming they went with cheap options on offense).

Htown Legend and The Beard like this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think the Astros should make a run at Castillo.

I love the 3 young starters but they are so inconsistent

JV, Castillo, and Framber would be a great core to a rotation. If McCullers can make it back it would be exceptional.

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Ill start with the 1st one

Castillo and Drury
    for
    Jose Urquidy
    Jaime Malendez
    David Hensley
    Chas McCormick
    Peter Solomon
    and
    Taylor Jones

Keep Hunter Brown and Enamanuel Valdez out of that trade

Odorizzi and Tyler Ivey

to the Cards
    Alec Burleson and Tink Hence

Then I just try and find a Rental Bat
    either Josh Bell or Andrew Benintendi

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If it takes Brown and Garcia to get Castillo, the Astros should let another team overpay for him.

11. The Beard

Sorry Tim, but you didn’t get Castillo and Drury

You were outbid by a pretty big margin by the Yankees and can not face Castillo in the ALCS

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. The Beard

I would probably try a Garcia/Leon combo or Urquidy/Brown, but reality is for a guy controlled another year like Castillo, it won’t likely he any cheaper than that

The Yankees will be in on those two also and have some stronger prospects to deal from

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think the price for Castillo will be close to what Berrios was traded for, which was 2 elite good prospects. Brown qualifies as one and would certainly be in any deal sending Castillo to Houston. Javier or Garcia would also qualify although at this point it would really really surprise me if either of them were traded (outside of a trade for a megastar like Juan Soto). So Urquidy and McCormick would be (imho) the next most valuable movable pieces, and I think if the Reds really like Urquidy then Brown/Urquidy plus 1-2 complementary prospects would be a competitive offer.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the Yankees are willing to overpay, let them. I'd want someone better if the Astros are dealing Garcia/Leon or Urquidy/Brown.

Nook likes this.
  15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

There will be some heavy bidding and there is significant value in keeping him from the Yankees.

But I think the Astros have the upper hand.

Until they perform in MLB prospects are just that. Some have great value and promise but nothing like a guy who is controllable and has proven himself.

I think the Astros should include Garcia in the trade.

Baseballtradevalues has his value at $52.4M and Castillo's at $38.5M

The Yankees gave 1 player who can compare and that's their #1 prospect Antjony Volpe at $52.6M.

Their #2 Peraza us $20.3M.

Cashman has been very very reluctant to trade either of those 2 but he can't beat an offer of Garcia without including one of them ( and much more if it's Paraza).

The Reds will want players close to MLB ready.

For arguments sake, let's say competition gives Castillo a 50% increase in value to $57.8M

The Astros can offer
    Garcia $52.4
    Joe Perez $3.0
    Hensley $2.4
    Solomon $2.9

This is a huge overpay $60.7M in value including a guy who is proven and controllable for 4 more years.

Garcia is available because Castillo fills his spot.

The rest are the Astros #6 and #8 prospects and an MLB ready utility guy who has had a great year in AAA similar to Josh Rojas in the Grienke deal.

And McCormick and/or Leon are still available for a trade to strengthen the bench/lineup.

#1695 IdStrosfan, Jul 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  16. The Beard

Castillo is a stud.

2.77 era this year, after a poor April and May last year it was 2.91

That's pitching in a hitters park for an organization not exactly known for getting the most out of pitchers

His floor would make him our #2B along with Framber

His ceiling would be Astros version of Gerrit Cole

I don't want to trade away Brown either. But I didn't want to trade Whitley either

17. The Beard

All those $$ value numbers are fun

But i'd be shocked if we outbid others with that offer. Even if the Yankees say they won't include either of those guys, there will be many other teams in the running for Castillo if the Reds decide without a doubt they are ready to move him

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I readily admit that the numbers are subject to any amount if scrutiny. I have nonidea how they get them.

However I did my best to augment that by significantly increasing what they listed Castillo's value.

I think you may be under estimating Garcia's value in this.

According to those numbers he is comparable in value to Volpe who is the #8 overall prospect in MLB pipeline.

Based on proven performance, liveliness to continue improving, and cost/ control I would agree.

The Beard likes this.
  19. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Just to let you guys know the Reds are asking for Paraza and Volpe for Castillo with a couple lowers added

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm fine with dealing Brown. I'm not fine dealing Brown away and a starting MLB pitcher not named Odorizzi for Castillo.

They do WAR estimates that appear to be based on FIP along with dollar estimates. Garcia being cheaper (unless he becomes better), pretty damn good along with having ~3 times as much club control is why Garcia is valued more. If they based the WAR estimates on ERA, the difference in money would be more lopsided in Garcia's favor.

IdStrosfan likes this.